Scared to buy any LuxeonV based light - am I being paranoid?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like to get a U2 or L2 one day, but with all the "donut hole" problems, I am very leery of plunking down that much cash only to get it and it be an afflicted light. I will most certainly wait a while till I see what Surefire comes out with when their new website comes up. Am I being too paranoid?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a E-series body you can always get a KL-4. That's the route i took since I prefer throw, and use a KL-1 the most, but the big flood is handy to have, and maybe buying on the BST you can cherry pick a little in regard to the policeman hole. VDG

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it all depends on how picky you are with your beams. You can always get a cheaper one first, to see if you like it, and then if you think the beam quality is alright, get the surefire. I'd say the beam quality of the Surefire will be better than that of the cheaper light just because of the texturing on the reflector, so it should be a step up from any cheaper choice you might get. You could always buy one that somebody is selling, too, and put your trust in their description. If they say it has a good beam, then it might not be such a gamble.

How about one of those Nuwais? The one that looks like an Ombu is supposed to have a pretty clean beam. I bought a Likki 5w for my dad's birthday and I find it more than acceptable. The Likki is pretty close to the size of an L4, only a little fatter.

Also, I think the way you use the light has a lot to do with how you feel about the beam. If your only shining it at white walls so you can see the donut hole, you might think, "aw man, there's a donut hole in my beam....shucks", and then dwell on that repeatedly. If you're actually using the light to see in the dark and find things, you probably won't even notice the donut hole. My first great light, which I bought long before ever coming to CPF, was (is) a 3-cell Nuwai 5w light (ALX-253, I think). Honestly, I never noticed anything wrong with the beam for most of the time I've owned it (more than 2 years), but after reading about donuts holes and buying a SF L4 , I now see the beam isn't that smooth and there is a donut hole in there. I still use that light more than any other (it's a knock around, "work" light), and I'm still amazed by it's output and performance and still love it. Even though, now, I do sometimes notice it has a less than perfect beam, more often than not, it's imperfections are not noticed by me.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The reflector was changed on the newest revision of the U2; at least that's what I read on OpticHQ's thread a while back.

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
Trashman said:
How about one of those Nuwais? The one that looks like an Ombu is supposed to have a pretty clean beam.

The Ombu lights are made by Nuwai and rebranded, just like the River Rocks at Target, and now the Hummers at Big 5 (saw an ad recently for a "Hummer" 2 AAA light--same as the River Rock 2AAA--for $10 more with the "Hummer" logo on the barrel).

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
edakoppo said:
The Ombu lights are made by Nuwai and rebranded, just like the River Rocks at Target, and now the Hummers at Big 5 (saw an ad recently for a "Hummer" 2 AAA light--same as the River Rock 2AAA--for $10 more with the "Hummer" logo on the barrel).

That's pretty much what I thought, except for the part where Ledwave says the light is made in spain.:thinking:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have tried the Lux III T bin, K2 U and V bins (yes, I managed to get a V bin to test), the Lux V W bin, and a premium grade Cree Xlamp for my short run light. Guess what, I am strongly leaning toward using the Lux V.

It is very efficient, very bright, reasonably available, and I can focus it just fine.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L2 that is perfectly lovely. No doughnut hole except for VERY close up (less than 2"), and the best tint of any LED light I own.

Look for one used on B/S/T and specifically ask about these things and don't buy unless you get the right answers and a guarantee.

magic79

Enlightened
Paranoid...yes.

Surefire has a fantastic warranty. If you don't like the beam you can return it...there are numerous threads with folks doing just that.

BTW: My L2 has a very, very good beam. Luck of the draw? Maybe.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Good thoughts by everybody. Yes I've heard that Surefire has tweaked the reflector in the U2.... I have a KL3-IIa that I absolutely LOVE though, great all around light. Just thinking about the future to my next gadget!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wouldn't be afraid of luxV's... they are extremely bright.. and that is its biggest plus...

i have an L2 and a U2... and the beam is a very even beam... if you want a thrower than a lux3 is what you want... but if you care about overall light... the luxV is hard to beat...

the donut issue is hardly one at all... yes its anoying to pay that much for a light and have a slight dimmer spot in the center of your beam... but you won't notice it in real life... but you will notice how much overall light you are generating...

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN said:
Well, I have tried the Lux III T bin, K2 U and V bins (yes, I managed to get a V bin to test), the Lux V W bin, and a premium grade Cree Xlamp for my short run light. Guess what, I am strongly leaning toward using the Lux V.

It is very efficient, very bright, reasonably available, and I can focus it just fine.

what optic/reflector do you use... i think i'm going to try the IMS 20mm and see what kind of pattern i get...

my future project is to run 4 luxV's out'a a maglight 2C

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Only thing that puts me off Lux V is the 1000 hour life. I know it is a long time in actual use but it still equates to less than 3-4 years use for someone who uses there light a lot. For the cost of a U2 I'd hope to have the light around in ten years time let alone 4 years.

Doug

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a 5w Nuwai TM301X-5 after reading here that there was no doughnut hole: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm and it was a "top pick". The kind folks at www.EliteLED.com assured me it was an awesome light. They have great email communication and great customer service. The light was $100 less than a SureFire L4. I have it almost a year & love it. It's lightweight & compact yet has a very aggressive tactical look to it.

Regards,

John

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
what optic/reflector do you use... i think i'm going to try the IMS 20mm and see what kind of pattern i get...

my future project is to run 4 luxV's out'a a maglight 2C

I developed by own custom optical system because I could not buy anything in the size range I needed. My limit was 13mm dia, and very short, which pretty much eliminated everything commercial for a setup with some throw. It is way to expensive for general use, especially if you have more room.

It might be worth your time to look over the reflectors from McGizmo and the guys at "raw". They have one around 18 mm which is a nice beam for a Lux V. Here is a thread which talks about it.

http://flashlight-forums.com/index.php?topic=1268.0

Good luck with your project.