Meeting fellow CPFers in real life, like you thought they'd be?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, I hope this isn't a fluff post but Topper's post in Cheer's and Jeer's has me thinking.

From reading posts, I have some pre-conceived notions about what fellow CPFers are like. Maybe what they look like, their personality, etc. I know several of you have met other CPF members thru events like Shot Show, etc. and I was wondering if your pre-conceived notions about what you thought before meeting held true or were totally blown apart when actually meeting a fellow CPFer. I know absolutely without meeting anyone that the kindness and intellect of the CPF community far exceeds that of the general population.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one appeared like I thought they would unless I saw their picture first but many of them, the personality does show through the posts.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree about the personalities showing through. I've only met a small handful of CPF'ers in person and they seemed they same as they do online - intelligent, inquisitive and thoughtful.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've met a dozen or two at various get-togethers. Not a one was the way I would have pictured them.

Their real personalities only come through about 50% of the time. Some very assertive folks in real life come across as almost timid and vice-verse. I will not, of course, name names.

Daniel

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've met quite some few in my area. And pretty much along the lines of what others stated above. :wave:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was fortunate enough to meet quite a few over a 3 day period. And they were all very nice and lots of fun. :)

For the most part they reflect their personalities in their posts. The only qualifier being, does it seem like that since I met them or was it like that prior to meeting them. :thinking: Getting old sucks. :green:

greenLED

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
...they seemed they same as they do online - intelligent, inquisitive and thoughtful.

You haven't met me, have you? :crackup:

In all seriousness, some personality traits do come across in people's posts. When in doubt, check the UG or, even better, log onto chat. :nana:

People I met at SHOT said they expected me to be older. I keep telling people: I have 45, feel like 74, and act like 12. Perfect combo. :nana:

I'm having a little too much fun today. :party:
Please carry on and ignore the punk.

:wave:

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I agree that personality shows through. But I never get a picture of what the person looks liek in my head. However sometimes, I will see a picture of someone, and it will just be nothing like I ever imagined. Any other CPF'ers from Maine? Theres 12,000 of us on here, there has to be a least 1 other besides me.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm pretty sure my personality shows in my posts. Here's a pic "several years ago and several lbs lighter"! Friendly lookin' guy eh? :ohgeez:

Would one think I look like this from my posts? Interesting how we get perceptions of folks from what they say and how they say it.

"Welcome to my castle, but you've got to survive the moat first!"
fb4dd0d2.jpg

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have met one CPF'er back in 2004 on a cross-state bike ride.

Walked into the main gathering building before the ride with my helmet on pushing my recumbent bike. My BB500 R2H Fraen LP minimag was mounted to the helmet and I walked by a person next to a tandem. He asked if that minimag had a sandwiched Luxeon inside and I froze!

There was a CPF'er in the crowd! It was cy, we started talking about modding, flashlights, the luxeon lottery and such. Another day it was the Arc4 VS R2H minimag flashathon and playing around with my R2H Mag 2D for some long throw amusement.

He was pretty much what I thought a CPF'er would be, laid back with a thing for technology and very friendly. Rode up to him many times while he was riding his tandem rig with his son. We talked about cross state rides, recumbents and tandems and enjoyed the ride. He later purchased a recumbent so crossing over to the dark side is complete.

Have not run into a CP'er since, Turkey is not a hidden hangout so... I get back to the states next year and would enjoy doing a CPF get together. GreenLED sounds interesting, 45...feels 74 and acts likes she's 12. After all, turn on the light and compare... leave the parabola calculations at home. Never been to a CPF get together, one of those things on my "to do" list.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well you can't see it, but there's a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag on the Bianchi belt!

Oh and BTW, it's a Remington .300 Win mag with a 3.5 x 10 Vari III Leupold scope...history dictates that it works on bears before they get in .44 mag range!

Sometimes I feel the guns are more for protection against two legged critters!

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
What, no mullet?
:crackup:

For those of you wondering what I look like, here's the pic Sigman took of me last time I was on "Admin Review" :nana:

Last edited:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at the 2003 Shot Show and met a couple dozen CPFers and maybe a dozen company owners or reps. Everyone was great.
The one person that was not as pictured in my mind was the owner of Photon but he was quite nice. :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I met a lot of folks at SHOT and PK's party. and greenLED, you were younger than I thought you were, and Rothrander is really young. Otok is not Japanese, and I am older than I thought I was. What I did notice about my perception of CPF'ers was that they are awesome people, and age or looks made no difference to me. Sasha looked exactly as I thought she would, red pumps and all. It was a pleasure to be in such company.

Bill

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman>

Hey, it's great to see your pic....you are what I pictured. The .300 Win Mag is perfect....but I would have guessed .338 Win Mag.

:)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
JonSidneyB said:
...you are what I pictured...but I would have guessed .338 Win Mag.
Didn't I say "several years ago and several lbs lighter"? :D

The beard comes in grey now - that was a shocker the last time I let it grow out! Off it went!

.338 is indeed GREAT - but I felt the .300 was a little flatter shooting rendering more accurate longer range shots for caribou and perhaps that "out of touch" moose! I can reach out and "touch" them now! (Anti-biotic/hormone/vaccine/supplement free meat!!)

Oh, that reminds me - I found some black bear filet in the freezer that "needs some attention on my grill"!!

Latest posts