(n00b alert) L1, L1P, L2P, and NIMH questions

cerbie

Enlightened
So, I got an Arc-P, tested it, ran it down a good bit, love it, and the wow factor is fading. 'Ooh, shiney' is gone, but I know I'm going to get my money's worth. One thing, however, is certain: I have no more use, even in emergencies, for cheap unregulated incandescent lights, and the cheaper LEDs I've seen, including my own, are too harsh for any long-term use (from the few beamshots I've seen of old Arcs, and new ones comparing P to standard, I think it's mostly binning on the blue-white LEDs). The Arc is not ideal for such uses, but beats everything else around with ease, except in reading during prolonged power outtages, due to blue/yellow light.

I'm considering, once Eneloop batteries are available, getting a Fenix L2P as an around-the-house workhorse light (I'm fond of rechargables in general, but but until these, they won't be good for things like flashlights, which may go 2-4 months between uses, and lose potential capacity, as well as charge).

So, first, are there flashlights of similar usefulness, cheaper? If not: OK, fine; but it still seems excessive to spend $50 on a flashlight (coming from someone trying to save a few hundred bucks to buy a pair of headphones :)), so I am compelled to ask.

Second, using NIMH batteries, does the tint of the light change as it nears the point of basically dying, to offer some warning? Does the L1/P (that would be worth less prolonged output and and overall duration from using one cell, IMO)?

If the above is not true for the L2P, how much harm is there in using such a light for several minutes with one cell discharged, while finding other AAs to use?

Finally, if the L1/P does dim or change color as the battery goes, is there a difference in tint between the L1 and L1P? Better tint would be worth extra cost, IMO, but not more light.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a runtime graph whore...

Fenix%20L2P%20major%20cells.png

Fenix%20L1P%20v2.5%20-%20major%20cells.png

Never mix cells of various discharge states, EVER.

cerbie

Enlightened
I would not mix batteries in different states intentionally. It is my understanding that each battery cell will have a bit of a different capacity, and if the unit does not have a low voltage cutoff, there will be a small period where it is running off one and doing the reverse charge thing.

cerbie

Enlightened
Nice graphs.

After mulling it over (I hadn't come across the L2P's performance before w/ NIMH--just the L1P's), I think I'll go for the L1P. The full regulation of the L2P might be cool, and the overall battery life definitely is; but I would hate to be more than a couple minutes away from fresh batteries when it starts to look dim (it looks like I would have a solid 15 minutes with the L1P).

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Chevrofreak wrote "I'm a runtime graph whore..."

Chevrofreak,
....You say whore like it is a bad thing? :) Your runtime graphs are great. Keep doing the runtime tests and posting the graphs. This type of information is what makes this site so great.
jc