Multiple 5mm. Led Flood Lights?

Spin

Enlightened
Are there any recommended multiple 5mm. led lights that have "reasonable" flood? Country of origin doesn't matter to me.

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 100 LED 4) AA lights from eBay [China], there are threads on CPF about modding them to 3) AA NiMH and removing the dropping resistor: direct-drive....
If you are patient you should be able to get them for $25 or so including shipping.
The head would make a nice ceiling-fixture in a camper or whatever, if you feed it just the right voltage... or constant-current...hmm. Search for: 100 LED torch on eBay or maybe Dae's site has them too.

WNG

Enlightened
There are a lot of decent multi-LED floods out there.
But if runtime is important, that would cut down on choices.

Many come in the 3AAA configuration. Not ideal for runtime. But some have very good flood output.
ie. the 28-LED 3AAA from AXShop.com and other sources, is a nice flood light.
Hefty aluminum construction, small, barrel clickie switch.
Blindingly bright white output for 15-20 minutes and quickly dims off.
I have two and have been impressed by them. One is next to my bed, can blind an invader temporarily with ease.
Under $10 USD.

There's also a 49-LED AA model, but I don't have personal experience with this one. Looks well made too. This and larger arrays look able to light up an entire large room!

On the small end scale, Xnova's new 8-LED single AA.

Or better made and more expensive USA-made Inova x5.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've long been a fan of certain multi LED lights... The X5, the XNovas and the excellent 7x7mm light which is one of my most used lights. But keep in mind, all those LEDs don't always give a good flood. Of course they'll be better than the Inova X1's super spot, but some multi LED lights have very poor flood... the Peaks come to mind.

The 7x7mm light used to be sold by Emilion. It has 7 7mm LEDs and runs on 3 AAA cells in a carrier. Craig has a review on his page. The tailclickie is kinda cheesy and I had to actually glue it into place as it kept working itself down to an inactive position but since then, I haven't had any trouble with it and it is easily in my top 10 most used lights... maybe in the top 5.

It's friggin' BRIGHT! And not too bad on batteries. I honestly had no idea it would be this bright when I ordered it. Next time I order from AW, I'll pick up a couple of his weird 18470s or whatever they are that can replace the 3xAAA cells and the carrier.

Here's a pic and a beamshot comparing my absolute brightest XNova to the 7x7mm light.

IMG_1883a.jpg

IMG_1889a.jpg

Latest posts