Does your city have LED traffic & crosswalk lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tron3

Banned
My city has had LED traffic and crosswalk lights for a while now. More than a couple of years, maybe?

Still, I kind of miss that full light effect from incandescents. Multi-LED's are kinda a low end replacement. The city must love them because of the high dependabiliy of the bulbs and lowered electric cost to them.

LED's inherently only throw light in an angle, thus making them great for light posts. I think we can see that in a few years. Won't that be cool?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what you meant about the 'full light effect', are you talking about how the LEDs are 'pixelated' as opposed to a single lense of the old style traffic lights?

We have them here and I really think that they need a photosensor to dim them a bit at night. The ones around here are so bright that at darker intersections the traffic light makes it nearly impossible to see beyond the intersection and it seems that it's just a matter of time before someone or something is at the wrong place at the wrong time.

metalhed

Enlightened
We've had them here in Bakersfield for several years now also.

I prefer them to the old incandescents. I think they are brighter and easier to see at a distance or in fog. I'm sure they are much more economical than the old-style bulbs, if nothing else because they reduce labor costs from bulb replacements.

I have noticed that the failures in these lights seem to be circuit-related and not due to LED failure. The lights usually seem to lose three LEDs at a time, so I assume that they are experiencing failures in the wiring or connections.

Can't wait to see integrated home lighting with these things, both for the energy efficiency and to realize my dream of never buying another lightbulb. :D

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
They're starting to show up here. There seems to be a second generation of the white LED "walk" sign that doesn't look as pixellated as the original one did. I'm also seeing a modest number of LED traffic lights showing up, mostly in really busy intersections where it's a major ordeal to change bulbs. Good move.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The city I work in had them for about five years while the city I live in just completely replaced the entire main drag, sidewalks, signs, trees, street lights, including ALL underground utilities but installed new, regular, incan signal lights. The walk/don't walk lights use LEDs, however. Curious.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
There's a previous thread on this (and maybe more - I'm still prowling around these halls looking...) and also another one here.

I'll lock this one and we can continue on the first link that I've provided. I'll lock the second one as well so it all goes to the first one. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts