Inova T5, first impressions

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
MODS feel free to move if you feel its needed..thanks

I received my Inova T5 today. My first impressions are as follows.
It continues on the Inova tradition of quility build and feel. This light is considerably larger coming in at around 9" long compared to the 6" length of the T3. This is to allow 3 lithium 123's. The wall thickness at 1/8" is impressive and this light is built like a tank. The finnish and knurling is the same as the other T series lights. It appears to be more or less a T4 body using primary lithiums. The head is a bit larger than the T3. It has a side mounted switch requiring about the same pressure as a normal Inova T series rear clickie. You can make up your own mind whether the switch mounting still classifies it as a tactical light. Clearly they did this in order to not increase the length of an already long light. The tailcap functions as a non switch with the batteries facing + rearward as the T3 does. The beam produced is the the standard T3 type hotspot with virtually all throw. Multiple rings offer little in the way of sidespill. The hotspot is a bit larger than the T3. The beam was a very smooth white. The intensity of the beam is just a bit more than the T3, but not much. Using the supplied 3 Duracell 123's, I got 3hr 18min of run time before it fell out of regulation. There was virtually no dimming during this period. All in all I found this to be a good light, but too long to carry often. I think it will be a super light for home or auto use and some professional uses as well. It throws nicely, but those wanting a good spillbeam will be dissappointed. I do feel it is a nice addition to the Inova line and is reasonably priced (70.00-85.00). I give it an excellent rating imho.

fieldops

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too,

Many thanks for the review.

Another torch on the 'must buy before I can afford it' list!

Joy Oh joy...

Not so bright as day...

Longbow

Enlightened
Why is the T5 3 inches longer than a T3? An additional cell should only add 1 3/8 to the O.A.L. The side switch is longer than a TC switch, and the optics are larger than the T3. I'd guess they used the side switch to utilize T4 components. A nice light though.