What's the potential for 4 AA powered Luxeon K2 flash light?

In the size of Streamlight 4AA PP. The body can be made of all metal to allow for ~5W of dissipation.

The voltage and current specs seems to indicate it could be operated off of 4 AA using PWM buck converter.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd pay good money for one of those. I prefer the 4AA layout to the 123 alternatives - It fits well in the hand. Also, rechargeable AA's are far superior to rechargeable 123's and more readily available. Not sure if alkalines could generate enough power to drive a k2 at full brightness for long though.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
& now that Sanyo makes 2700mah ni-mh AA batteries i don't see any reason why not. 4AA's can easily handle one K2.

monkeyboy said:
I'd pay good money for one of those. I prefer the 4AA layout to the 123 alternatives - It fits well in the hand. Also, rechargeable AA's are far superior to rechargeable 123's and more readily available. Not sure if alkalines could generate enough power to drive a k2 at full brightness for long though.

Alkaline woudln't be a good idea. At 1A current draw, Duracell Ultra AA can only deliver about 1Ah capacity to 0.9v. 2.5Ah NiMH and 3.0Ah lithium AA seems to deliver a tad more than 2Ah of capacity at 1A load according to their respective datasheets.

it can be spec'ed for NiMH or lithium AA's ONLY and designed such that LEDs can make maximum output when directly connected to 3.8v source (0.95v per cell) and until voltage reaches that, it can operate at reduced duty cycle to maintain Irms at 1.5A. Temperature monitoring should be integrated to ensure current is lowered if it gets too hot to safely push 1.5A through.

The advantage of buck only converter is that you don't need a large reactor (coil) in the regulator topology.