What's the most expensive thing you've ever sent?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey that's a good one Nerdgineer!

How about a 1964 Ferrari GTO? FedEx Overnight! No kidding!—I read that a while back in Cavallino. . . :wave:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean up close and personal it was a tiny piece of rock in a plastic case.
It came from the moon.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
A penny, yes a .01 item.
When I sent this 1855 Large Cent to PCGS for grading I sent it insured for $1,000 thinking it would only grade a MS62RD or MS63RD. When I got it back with a grade of MS65RD it became a $5,000 penny.
1855largecentPCGSMS65RED.jpg

drizzle

Enlightened
Can't think off hand of anything really expensive that I've sent but the most valuable thing I've sent was my Passport. I had to send it to San Francisco to the Brazilian Embassy to get a visa before I could visit there. I also couldn't send it more than 30 days in advance, IIRC, so I was sweating bullets until it came back stamped.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Geez - if you count 1 shipment, probably about 100k worth of Mini computer at the old company I used to work for - $25k power supplies were a 4-8/week thing

Want some fun - look up the tern "high value mail" - did you know that most diamonds travel USPS? "High Value Mail" - hand delivered - by a postal Police officer (and yeah, he's carrying) - in fact, some trucks travel with 2 chase cars - and sometimes the gaurds are carrying MP5s

wquiles

Flashaholic
Just sold my used Rolex submariner. Sent it registered and insured with USPS on Monday. It arrived safely yesterday ;)

Will

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Morelite said:
A penny, yes a .01 item.
When I sent this 1855 Large Cent to PCGS for grading I sent it insured for $1,000 thinking it would only grade a MS62RD or MS63RD. When I got it back with a grade of MS65RD it became a $5,000 penny.
Ah, excuse me but, um, would you have change for a half dime?

(No, not a nickel. I saw a "half dime" labeled coin as a kid.)

MXDan

Newly Enlightened
I sent a Sony PSP, four games, and two cartons of Camel Lights to Taiwan for a friend of mine living over there. Cost me about $90 if I remember correctly to ship and insure it.

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Back when Cubic Zirconia first became available (and before my eyes and fingers gave out) I cut replicas of large diamonds. Wear the replica, put the investment stone in the safe deposit box = happy insuranse company. Some of the stones were over 5 ct and at the time over $10,000. Sent them registerd/insured USPS, never had any problem.

My brother repairs and restores fine crystal (Stuben, Orrefers, Lalique, etc) and regularly handles $50,000 items. Uses UPS and FedEx.