How fast is your internet connection?

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Have any of you gone to http://www.dslreports.com/stest to see how fast your internet is?

I always thought that the internet on campus was a lot faster than my home connection, but I want to see how it compares with everyone elses here.

Mine is 5266 kbps download and 1568 kbps upload.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
offroadcmpr said:
Have any of you gone to http://www.dslreports.com/stest to see how fast your internet is?

I always thought that the internet on campus was a lot faster than my home connection, but I want to see how it compares with everyone elses here.

Mine is 5266 kbps download and 1568 kbps upload.

What kind of connection do you have? That is rippin' fast! Last time I checked, which was a long time ago, ours was about 850kps download and 130 upload. My girlfriend's "magic" connection (we don't know where it's comming from) is around 2800 download and 350 upload, which I thought was pretty incredible.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Here's mine:

043 Kbps Download Size: 995,974.000 bytes
005 Kbps Download Time: 180.870 secs

How's that? Pretty good eh?

speederino

Enlightened
Not fast enough.....

EDIT: now for some useful information,

My cable generally hovers between 2 and 3 meg down with a consistent 350k up. Tonight, however, the kid next door must be hitting bittorrent pretty hard because I'm getting 800k down. :rant:

I do know his PC is on wireless...every time I bust out my 2.4ghz 'noise generator' with directional antenna and point it in his direction, my cable performance speeds up. Looks like it is time to fire it up again.....:whistle:

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Download speed : 2827 kbps or 353.4 KB/sec.

Upload speed : 243 kbps or 30.3 KB/sec.

This is on a wireless home network of 3 computers all on the WWW at the same time at 4:31 PM.

Last edited:

Raven

Enlightened
A bit of epeen measuring, huh :D

My download rate is 1246
My upload rate is 309

carrot

Flashaholic
2910 downstream
352 upstream

This is with the VoIP box plugged directly into the modem and to my laptop via 802.11g. I have actually measured it to be a bit (minimally) faster without VoIP attached and on a wired connection.

Edit: I have Road Runner, btw.

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
723down 132 up

15$ Verizon Online DSL

I'm using a 802.11 G wireless connection for my laptop in my room directly over the Den where the router is. I'll have to try it on my desktop which is wired directly; might be a little faster.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
DSL;

up 384kbps, down 1536 kbps per the DSL modem.

Cable;
up 361kbps, down 3803 kbps per DSL Reports Java Applet.

Now, in reality......
Your throughput depends on so many things it's silly. More than anything else is the load on the server you are talking to. Second most important is the health of all the routers in the path that you take to get to that server.

I have 4 computers sharing the DSL (including mail and web servers) , and am quite happy with it's performance. I have two computers sharing the cable modem, and my wife is happy with them.

It's not unusual to see 15kBps downloads from busy servers over either of my data links.

Daniel

idleprocess

Flashaholic
2733k/528k on Verizon's 3000k/640k DSL package. About average.

As Gadget_Lover alluded to, there are many many factors that effect internet throughput. The "package" bandwidth of the pipe bewteen the ISP and you isn't always the most signifigant factor. There are routing issues, backbone bandwidth utilization, and oversubscription of bandwidth at the ISP in addition to load at the far end.

Here's a simplified network diagram for a home broadband ISP:
internet.png

This is a simplistic diagram, but note how many routers are between you and just the internet backbone where you will likely see >50% of the "hops" in any given route. Every point beyond the CPE router is also a concentrator of sorts - likely with dozens of devices similar to the "downstream" device connected. As such, there's the potential for congestion at every point. This diagram is simplified in that it doesn't show what's likely to be a number of switches between routers; switches work faster than routers and typically make up much of the mesh within any given "segment," but they can get congested as well.

To some extent, an ISP can offer better service by upping access speeds and reducing oversubscription, but that costs money and just pushes the bottleneck further into their network. Given that the average home broadband user averages < 5% overall utilization - mostly bursting for short periods - the oversubscription model makes sense ... unless you get customers working from home or leaving their computers on and consuming bandwidth instead of the "traditional" usage in the morning and evening.

'Used to be that cable networks were sort of like giant ethernet networks with that quoted "3 megabits" shared by a disturbingly large number of customers. DSL wsn't much better - it was common for early DSLAMs (DSL Access Multiplexer) to serve ~1000 customers with a single DS1 (1.544Mb) line connecting to the ISP. Needless to say both networking standards bogged down quickly as the subscriber base started to build up.

Cable networks have gotten much more sophistocated with segmentation and substantially greater bandwidth on the backend; DSL technology has gotten better and newer DSLAMs don't have such a massive ovsersubscription rate. Backend bandwidth is also getting cheaper. OC-3 (~155Mb) and OC-12 (~622Mb) have gone from backbone links to access trunks, and prices have come down on ATM switches and ports/interfaces for even bigger pipes (OC-48 & OC-192). The nominal "line" or "package" rates are starting to mean something for the average home broadband user, although SLAs (Service Level Agreements) are still next to nothing...

Remember folks, this "internet" thing is still kind of new.

Last edited: