animal rights.... oh and a link to Penn and Tellers BS show about p*ta!

Donovan

Enlightened
Was going to post this as a reply to another post but after re-reading it I felt it would be inappropriate there. So here it is as a separate post...

I wouldn't mind helping out an animal shelter but I would have to know what and more importantly who it is being used for. I would have to know that all my money would go directly to the shelter and would not be going to some wacko animal rights group. I do not want any money going to peta, adl, alf or any other similar outfit that associates with these wacko terrorists.

*For some good info on what peta really stands for and a good laugh be sure and catch Penn & Teller's show called BS about them. You can see a clip from the peta episode here:http://www.wimp.com/petaprotest/ *warning P&T use lots of "colorful" language!

Last edited:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: animal rights....

Rufus the Mastiff came from a shelter...

It saddens me that so many animals end up at the shelter to be destroyed. I know its not the shelters fault. Just makes me sad.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Find your local humane society. They are not in any way affiliated by or paid for by your local government, they are not the "dog catcher" or animal control. All our animals and the animals of our family have come from local humane societies.

Any national organization will have huge waste in it's larger infrastructure. Not to mention if it spends money on political crap. All the humane society organizations are completely run locally and all their money is raised locally.

give it to them and it will help many animals find homes.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

This thread has the potential to become one of those "hot ones"!

PLEASE keep the discussion civil - respect one another and let the countdown begin!

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG!! THANKS!

Try and not let Penn & Teller's presentation style ("CAUTION: LANGUAGE") shut down communication. If you get all bent out of shape about the way they are trying to stir up your emotions...you'll not comprehend the message.

Last edited:

Donovan

Enlightened
Both of my pets are "adopted".
I am just surprised more animal "helping" organizations don't go out of their way to separate themselves from the "animal rights" wackos...
Definitely watch that Penn&Teller episode if you get a chance. It definitely shows how far out these people are...

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Now IMHO there were some very valid points presented in the link's content!

I was unaware of PETA's connections to the ALF and their own animal euthanasia program! Very interesting indeed!

I believe in a system of checks & balances - but in my opinion, extremists can cause more harm to their cause than good.

Last edited:

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
When we have extra money we often buy big 40lb bags of dog food at Costco and take them to the local ASPCA. This way I know my donation is put to good use.

We adopted our cat from them also.

magic79

Enlightened
I would second the local animal shelter suggestion. They are truly local and always in need of funds, and really care about domestic animals.

Not sure why you thought the warning post was necessary Sigman...there is no indication of this thread going anywhere awry; but I think that post invites it more than anything.

No one is FOR animal cruelty.

Greta

Flashaholic
magic... Sig was just doing what we like to call "pre-emptive striking"... ;) ... Funny, but the only reason I am reading this thread is because when I saw the title of it, my first thought was... ruh-roh... here we go! Train wreck!... know what I mean?

drizzle

Enlightened
At the risk of butting in here. I think a further warning should go out to people unfamiliar with the show, like I was, that it is PG language...lot's of it. :)

It was enlightening to me. I had some knowledge of these things happening. The Urban Horticultural Center at my alma mater, University of Washington, was burned down in protest of genetic engineering. No genetic engineering was going on and irreplaceable records and samples were destroyed. Members of the Animal Liberation Front and the Earth Liberation Front were recently indicted for it.

Vee3

Enlightened
One of the best ways to help out your local animal shelters is to get your pets fixed (Especially them horny kitties!). My three outdoor cats were each fixed as soon as they were of age. I can't stand to think of kittens/puppies being destroyed, even though I know it sometimes has to be done.

Worked so well on my cats that I went ahead and had something similar done on myself too...

magic79

Enlightened
Sasha said:
magic... Sig was just doing what we like to call "pre-emptive striking"... ;) ... Funny, but the only reason I am reading this thread is because when I saw the title of it, my first thought was... ruh-roh... here we go! Train wreck!... know what I mean?

Okie dokie.

As I was scrolling down, that post stuck out as kind of negative after reading the previouse ones.

I understand the pre-emptive nature though. I have, unfortunately, see some ugly stuff on other posts.

Magic :)