Cheaper than Dirt LED light

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my wife this little light for her bedside table a while back, it is not a bad little light. 8 LED, and uses AAA in a carrier, I know a lot dislike this. But it is really not a bad buy, in the catalog they are often $5 on their 3 for 15 page, and $7 on their website. They are a bright little light and the sqaure sides make it nice for table top use. I ran it for over 8 hours and it was still decently bright, noticibly dimmer yes but still bright enough use well around the house. They have them in silver and black and the clickie tailcap works pretty nicely.

KEY-265.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/KEY265-2032-567.html

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I like it, Just the design, could probably get a nice drop in, and make that thinng badass.:devil:

carrot

Flashaholic
I got one awhile ago. When you run it down enough, mine flickers. The switch also doesn't seem too reliable... but I guess we'll see.

And it smells funny inside. Can anybody tell me what that smell is, and if it's bad for you (ie, you should wash your hands after handling)?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have one of those made by SE (sterling) and I used nimh on it frying 4 of the LEDs. I went ahead and put 8 26,000mcd LEDs in it with about a 3 ohm resistor in the tailcap/switch area to cut it back from about 400ma to 190ma to the LEDs using nimh.
It runs for about 4 hours or so now. I had to replace the switch with one out of a $2 light because it died. It uses a standard reverse click switch. I have taken it apart so many times the threads are wearing out.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, that light is junk. A coworker bought a bunch of them for himself and others and every single one had problems with the switch. For the same $7, your better off getting the "12 LED 3xAAA White LED" light from Lighthound . It's brighter and seems to have a better switch, at least mine does.

-DF

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife has used it for 2 months with no issues yet, perhaps she will in time, the biggest plus for it is the shape of the body, it sits on the tabletop better than most smaller lights with a round shape. If she has trouble with it, maybe I will use it for a basis for my first mods.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That looks like the light I recently saw at a Northern Tools store for $6 or $7. This one was blue. Decided to pass since I don't really like the 3 battery set-up.

Geoff

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought three, one came DOA and they replaced it.
The other three require frequent adjustment of the head and tail to make then light.
A nice little light if it works.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
DFiorentino said:
In all honesty, that light is junk. A coworker bought a bunch of them for himself and others and every single one had problems with the switch. For the same $7, your better off getting the "12 LED 3xAAA White LED" light from Lighthound . It's brighter and seems to have a better switch, at least mine does.
-DF
I could not agree more! I bought a few from them almost 2 years ago. when they work, they are nice for what they are cheap imported LED flashlights. the problem is the switch will not work, then the light is DOA. Recently I discovered those other lights at LIGHTHOUND and liked them so much I'be been back at least 3 times!
Those AAA lights at Lighthound are nery nice and they do work. they cost a little more but its definitely worth it!!
good thread. it brings me back to my first multi unit LED flashlight buy with those cheaperthandirt lights. I still have one hanging from my light fixture in here as a back up for power outages.

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
SuperNinja said:
Surplus Computers has them for $7.99 with free shipping.
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10612

Personally, I would go with something from Dae's site instead.
http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/flashlights-3xaaa-c-76_98.html

I also have this light and feel the same way about it. I like the big 'lugnut' head of it as it stays put and doesn't roll. I picked up two from Surplus Computers during a red version clearance. 2 for $8. So, the price was right.
I found the things pretty bright, and the construction better than average for the usual junk in this price range. My switches have not given me any trouble in 8 months, solid click action. Mine arrived with a nylon holster, in sealed plastic packaging. I liked it enough to try their 17-LED model. This one I wouldn't recommend, not much brighter than the 8-LED.
Of course, these newbie purchases were before my finding CPF.
Now I own a nice cache of Luxeon lights as well.
It's a sickness with no cure!
We should perhaps have a new thread on favorite el cheapo LED flavored light.

Man, that 100-LED torch reminds me of Kramer's showerhead!