Fenix...R bin?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I purchase a Fenix light, can someone please explain "R" bin as apposed to what's in the head of my XM-3?

chiphead

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
R bin is the brightness of the LED according to Lumileds charts

R bin is about 40 to 52 lumens when driven at 350mA which is the highest for LuxeonI LEDs. The average would be about 45 lumens at the LED for the bin.

Your XM-3 bin is unknown... I would guess a Q bin (32 to 39 lumens or 35 to 36 average)

Then comes the entertaining part of the equation! The XM3 has a larger reflector so should throw more of the light forward so it would be hard to notice the difference between the two. The other thing is the drive level to the XM3 is higher so the LED is driven harder creating more light. The XM-3 will be brighter than the lower drive level of the L1P R bin.

If you are talking the Fenix L2P, it also uses an R bin and drives the LED harder. On a light meter, the L2P will be brighter than the XM-3.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:

R bin is about 40 to 52 lumens when driven at 350mA which is the highest for LuxeonI LEDs. The average would be about 45 lumens at the LED for the bin.

Your XM-3 bin is unknown... I would guess a Q bin (32 to 39 lumens or 35 to 36 average)

Then comes the entertaining part of the equation! The XM3 has a larger reflector so should throw more of the light forward so it would be hard to notice the difference between the two. The other thing is the drive level to the XM3 is higher so the LED is driven harder creating more light. The XM-3 will be brighter than the lower drive level of the L1P R bin.

If you are talking the Fenix L2P, it also uses an R bin and drives the LED harder. On a light meter, the L2P will be brighter than the XM-3.
BentHeadTX!

Thank you for the education, that L2P would look nice hanging from my backpack! I chose the L2P over the Gerber TX3 as the TX3 has not regulation. But the maze of lumens,bins, watts and candlepower can be a headache. Thanks again.

chiphead...Walking through life at DEFCON-3.

Skyclad01

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:

I have both these lights (L1P, XM-3), and at appx 65 feet the ONLY difference I can tell between the two is that the XM-3 has a wider beam with more spill. And the L1P has a tighter hotspot which would lead me to believe that the L1P would just slightly out throw the XM-3 (at least thats what it looks like it would do when I compair them both at 65 feet)

Other than that, these two lights are identical (bodies and hotspots aside, that is)