The great flashlight internet forum mystery

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, almost every internet forum has its "mystery" the one question that nobody can seem to answer, like what did so and so use in such and such a movie?

Example: On watch forums, especially dive watch forums the biggest mystery is what watch does Richard Dreyface where in Jaws? Many people try to answer but so far no one has come up with a definitive answer that can satisfy. I have seen very good knowledgeable dive watch enthusiasts take the movie apart frame by frame and post pics and no one has yet been able to identify it.

Ok so what is the big flashlight mystery out there? Being fairly new I dont know what it might be, is there one?

greenLED

Flashaholic
We know it all, and if we don't... we make up a convincing answer.
:nana:
Oh, yeah, and some of us take things very seriously around here. ;)

thezman

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
Ok so what is the big flashlight mystery out there?

Why the manufacturers of EDC's can't use a standard clickie and insist on using reverse clickies. :thinking:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure there is one. Maybe why do some people spend $350 on a flashlight? :)

Actually, I've been trying to ID this light for a year. It's either an Energizer or a Stinger with the sleeve removed.

light1.jpg

drizzle

Enlightened
thezman said:
Why the manufacturers of EDC's can't use a standard clickie and insist on using reverse clickies. :thinking:
:crackup: That get's my vote! If it has been explained here, I missed it.

carrot

Flashaholic
thezman said:
Well, that's kinda easy, imo. A standard clickie has to form an electrical contact and close a circuit from the moment it is depressed, and then *click* into place. A reverse clickie only needs to *click* into place to be activated... Maybe I can't explain it too well, but logically and mechanically the standard clickie is more complicated.

thezman

Enlightened
carrot said:
Well, that's kinda easy, imo. A standard clickie has to form an electrical contact and close a circuit from the moment it is depressed, and then *click* into place. A reverse clickie only needs to *click* into place to be activated... Maybe I can't explain it too well, but logically and mechanically the standard clickie is more complicated.

You explained how they work just fine...:)

But it's not rocket science and they could use them if they chose to.

metalhed

Enlightened
Why did Mag wait so long to bring an LED light to market?

Is that the kind of mystery you're talking about? :shrug:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
they had to wait for everyone to perfect it so that they could save on RandD and not have costly mistakes.

they needed someone to copy.

ScottyJ

Enlightened
The only mystery I was aware of was whether or not there was going to be an 85 XR, and evidently that has been cleared up...there will be no 85 XR. So no, there is no other mystery on this forum. :whistle:

mykall

Enlightened
carrot said:
.... Maybe I can't explain it too well, but logically and mechanically the standard clickie is more complicated.

Bingo! And hence...more???...:thinking:...you quessed it..:>>>>EXPENSIVE!

MB

HiltiHome

Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
Actually, I've been trying to ID this light for a year. It's either an Energizer or a Stinger with the sleeve removed.
looks like a double barrel 4AA...

Vbeez

Enlightened
HiltiHome said:
looks like a double barrel 4AA...

My vote for double barrel 4AA

I guess flashaholism is uncureable...................
still looking forward for treatment

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
mykall said:
Bingo! And hence...more???...:thinking:...you quessed it..:>>>>EXPENSIVE!

MB

This is definately true. A proper clickie could cost several times more than a reverse.

The other problem is size - a reverse clickie switch often has a shorter travel and are therefore smaller. Not by much, but every fraction of a mm seems to count (people complain enough about the size difference between a G2 and a Maxfire, and you'd think the L0P was twice the size of the Arc-AAA if you read some posts...).

As for a truely unanswered question - maybe the answer is your original question - What is the unanswered flashaholic question?

I don't know, but I think it involves buying both...

carrot

Flashaholic
It just hit me. The ultimate question that no one can satisfactorily answer is "Which flashlight should I buy?" which is why there are so many people asking that same question, and so many answers of "buy both." :D

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
thezman said:

cost and size aside, I think a reverse clicky does have one adventage over a normal clicky, espacially for an EDC light.

And thats saving batteries... I usually carry a lot of crap in my pockets. it happened to me more than once that my keys in some way activated a clicky in momentary mode, causing the batteries to be near dead when I catually needed my light. Reverse clicky doesn't have this problem.