Firefly3 or Gladius?

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
I can only buy one of this now, which one to get? Both are micro-computer controlled, have variable output, LuxIII and almost similar tint. Oh man! I hate to make decision like this.

Pros and Cons

FF3
1. VERY small (Main pro here)
2. Runs on rechargeble or primary (Comes with charger and RCR123A), saves running $$$
3. More features (SOS, strobes...etc.)
4. Can go really low
5. Better finishing in HAIII
6. As bright as Gladius on maximum??? (I'm not sure)
7. Water-proof???

Gladius
1. Very big (Too big for EDCing)
2. Only runs on CR123A
3. Thermal protection feature
4. Excellent waterproofing
5. Longer runtime on low because of 2x batteries
6. Low batt indicator
7. Good throw

I like both, but will only buy one, which one should I buy? I am EDCing an A2 currently, but due the the short runtime on the incandescant (I use it for walks and hike every evening), I am moving to a light that is more efficient so LuxIII should be it. What are your views regarding these 2 lights? Thanks.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
interesting dilemma =)

the FFIII will be a small form factor light, that is great for carrying around and using for everyday tasks. if it uses the same reflector as the JIL, then i anticipate its beam will also have a more floody characteristics, best suited to close-medium range.

the gladius is more a larger light for specialized uses. it's got throw, yet a nice spillbeam that isn't bright yet is bright enough, and the instant you use it you know it's for combat and not your average daily tasks. not to say it can't be used for your average daily tasks but given its build & operation interface, you know what it's built for. i think though that there was mention the later gladius models will take 18650s? not sure... =)

the FFIII will win out for me if i need an EDC/general task light to have on me all the time without noticing it is there. if i were just to use a light for night/morning walks, i'd take the gladius, but if i were going to the office, or to a pub/cafe, i won't be taking the gladius! (though i admit, i have taken an E2D cause it's size makes it that easy) they're both pretty different lights imho =)

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are great lights. Normally you don't continuously need big output for night walking. When I walk at night with my HDS, U2 or FF3, I use low most of the time. With dark-adapted eyes, the close reflection from high power light can be blinding, say off a white sidewalk.

However you apparently use high power a lot, since your A2 batteries don't last long. The A2 has a fairly bright LED mode. Normally I'd think you'd use that 80-90% of the time and incandescent only briefly.

If you use higher output levels a lot, the Gladius would be better. The FF3 is very bright on max (brighter than an HDS U60), but it's not really designed for continuous use on max, and the battery might only last 20 min. On lower (but still bright) levels it will last over 1 hr. At 7 lumens (about like an Arc AAA-P) it will last about 30 hr.

The FF3 also gets pretty warm if used at 75% output and above for long periods. Don't have a Gladius, but if it's like my U2 it will run on max continuously without getting too hot. The FF3 has amazing output for the size -- maybe close to the Gladius in overall output. But the Gladius can comfortably sustain that output continuously, whereas the FF3 cannot.

If you want maximum throw, the Gladius has a narrower beam. The FF3 does OK to about 40 meters, beyond that you'll want a more throw-oriented light.

The FF3 has a bright spillbeam so it's good for seeing your nearby surroundings.

If size is a priority, obviously the FF3 wins there -- it's the size of a Chap Stick. The Gladius is 3/4" longer than your A2, and has a wider bezel.

The rechargeable battery in the FF3 is nice: just it all you want and never worry about buying new batteries.

Last edited:

alvdll

Newly Enlightened
hi Joema, thanks for the helpful comment and seems that I should go with the Gladius. From your description of the FF3's beam, I presume it is almost similar to the U2. My bro has got an U2 and it puts out a quite floody beam and throws about 40 metres too.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 puts out way more light in the side spill. I don't think the FF3 would have such a wide sidespill. They are totally different lights. One is a pocket monster (size and light) and the other is a pocket rocket.

StanTeate

Enlightened
For every day use, get the FF. The convenience of a small light with fairly bright output when needed is more useful than a specialized, bigger light that you won't probably carry nearly as much.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
goldserve said:
The U2 puts out way more light in the side spill. I don't think the FF3 would have such a wide sidespill. They are totally different lights. One is a pocket monster (size and light) and the other is a pocket rocket.
Actually the U2 spillbeam isn't super-wide, but it is *very* bright. The spillbeam angle is about 60 degrees, vs 70 degrees for an HDS EDC. However the U2 diverts lots of output to the spillbeam, vs putting everything in the hotspot. The U2 hotspot beam angle is a fairly normal 6 degrees. This gives the U2 a quite floody beam at close range, yet it retains pretty good throw for long range.

The FF3 beam is vaguely similar in design -- bright spillbeam yet still OK throw from the hotspot. It has a significantly brighter spillbeam than the HDS EDC or Peak Caribbean, but nothing like the much more powerful U2.

StanTeate summed up the key decision criteria pretty well.