• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: custom Fire~Fly 2 [SOLD!]

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
FF2 123 w/ BB750 Lux 3-T, alloy heatsink, reflector, UCL lens and spare parts kit

FireFly2BB750Ultralight.jpg

(note: this is the actual FF2 i'm selling, alongside some CR123 batteries, a Sebenza knife and a magazine of 9mm ammo, to show size)
-----------------------------

Specifications of this Fire~Fly 2:

Size - 2.7" long x 0.8" diameter (69mm x 20mm approximately)

Weight - Ultralight version, less than one ounce (25 grams) without battery

Material - body and bezel rings are 7075 Aluminum (aerospace grade)

Heatsink - also called the "head", the original head was copper weighting 17 grams, but this custom version has an aluminum head that weights only 5 grams! This is the lightest a Fire~Fly can be made.

Finish - Hard Anodizing Type III in Gun-metal (deep blue-grey)

Power source - one CR123 Lithium battery available from multiple sources for under $1.25 each (optional CR2 battery cell holder/body may be available from the Sandwich Shoppe). It is also possible to use rechargeable R123 batteries with this particular unit.

Regulator - Sandwich Shoppe (dat2zip) BadBoy 750 sandwich

Light Source - Luxeon III T-binned high-powered LED (hand-picked, this is the best of the three BB750 sandwiches I've purchased, and the best of all the two dozen sandwiches I've owned). Re-blobbed for improved on/off switching. Was also custom spot-epoxied to safely protect exposed contacts.

Runtime - approximately 45 minutes with lithium battery

Brightness - rated at 65+ Lumens (1600 Lux). Because of it's extreme brightness, this module gets very hot and in such a small flashlight it is meant to be used intermittently, not continuously.

Switch - twist on/off

Optic - multicoated UCL (ultra clear lens) 2mm thick with a 99% transmission factor

Reflector - original options were molded plastic optics (NX05 or Fraen). This custom version has a hand modified SO17XA reflector for a smoother & whiter round-shaped beam. This is the best of five reflectors I produced, but due to the standard problems in fitting these reflector, the mirror coating shows a very slight ring where the reflector's plastic was ground so very thin.

Weatherproof - All parts have O-rings for a reasonably water-tight seal

Part Kit - a few spare parts just in case: an original body o-ring, a "Better-Fit" body o-ring, a sandwich retaining o-ring , a sandwich retaining clip and a battery contact screw.

Condition - Like new! I've carried it a bit in an empty pocket, and fondled it a lot, but it still looks like it did when I got it new.

Price - [SOLD] (non-credit card Paypal only) that includes shipping by standard airmail with delivery tracking to anywhere in the world. I can't be responsible for loss/damage once the item has been shipped, but Insurance/Registration is available at additional cost.

Photos- if you'd like to see some photos I've taken of it, I'd be happy to send them to you. Just e-mail me your current e-ddress and I'll get them right out to you.

FF2 vs FF3 - The great thing about the simple-to-operate FF2 is it's Adaptability (with a capital "A"). LEDs, electronics, reflectors, heat sinks, battery holders and even 2-stage brightness controls can be changed at will. As technology changes, so can the FF2. By comparison, the FF3 was not designed to use "sandwiches" or swap parts. And with all the multilevel options, new users often find the operation of the FF3 intimidating. Full use of it's operation requires familiarization. Additionally, the FF3 was primarily designed to be used with rechargeable batteries.

Thanks,
coyote
[email protected]
CPF'er since 2002

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Re: FS: custom Fire~Fly 2 (NEW PIX and lower price!)

Now THAT IS a very nice light with a cool picture shot! Way to go!