Q3 2 stage switch

hurld

Newly Enlightened
I've done a bunch of searching with no luck. Where can I buy the 2 stage switch for my Q3? Thanks for any help

teststrips

Enlightened
I would think that you would probably want to do more than the 2 stage switch. I hate having to cycle through brightness levels. There are a few styles of switches

Off- High - off - low --- I frankly HATE this option
Off - Low - High ---- based on user pref
Off- High - Low ---- again user pref

I frankly don't know which is the case, but I would recommend the FLuPIC chip from goldserve (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=7270) which is baisically a programmable chip that can be configured several different ways. It has a High, low and blast option, high and low are able to be set to any level rated 1-20 and blast will be super bright.

Goldserve will even do the build for you if you take out the logic board and ship it to him.

He even has a stock of T bin Luxeons that he can put in during the conversion. Unless you can find the sequence of switch that you want, I think the FLuPIC chip would be the better upgrade.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF hurld. :wave:

Digikey sells a switch that will work. Look for the switch that is part # 529PB-ND.

If you are going to mod a Q3 with a 2 level switch then this thread by chimo will be of interest and this thread by milkyspit has step by step instructions and photos on how to perform the 2 stage modification.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also buy a turnkey switch module that just drops right in if you don't want to D-I-Y. Litemania sells them and you can find them in the top row of this page.

Many Q3 owners also change the stock ponycarbonate lens to a much more transparent and scratch resistant mineral crystal.

Another popular Q3 modification is to replace the stock reflector with a inexpensive IMS 20mm reflector. The IMS 20mm reflector will make the hotspot brighter than that of the stock reflector but at the expense of some of the spill light.

Here is a beamshot of a Q3 with the standard reflector vs. the IMS 20mm reflector.

hurld

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help . I would like to buy thr switch and lens from litemania, but haven't figuired out how to order yet as the site is in Korean I think. Is there a site or place to order the switch in the USA ? I like the idea of a dropin better, as I really can't solder. :ironic:

phosphor

Enlightened
hurld said:
Thanks for all the help . I would like to buy the switch and lens from litemania, but haven't figured out how to order yet as the site is in Korean I think. Is there a site or place to order the switch in the USA ? I like the idea of a drop-in better, as I really can't solder. :ironic:
...me too !
I have emailed litemania TWICE with intent to buy and instructions on how to order.....its been a week now....no answer. ?? I would also be grateful to know where else a body might be able to get these.

-Regards

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Warren is the only dealer who offers the drop-in 2 stage switch.

Not sure why he hasn't responded to your email Phospor, the [email protected] address should work.

You guys could always send him a private message through CPF mail.

Don't let the Korean language site throw you for a loop, Warren is perfectly fluent in english.

You can find his contact info here

If you have no luck with the CPF private message system then you might try ringing him up or faxing him a quote request by using one of those dirt cheap "call the world for a dollar" long distance services, even if only to leave a message on his answering machine.
His phone and fax #'s are on the bottom of his litemania.com homepage.

phosphor

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
I think Warren is the only dealer who offers the drop-in 2 stage switch.

Not sure why he hasn't responded to your email Phospor, the [email protected] address should work.

You guys could always send him a private message through CPF mail.

Don't let the Korean language site throw you for a loop, Warren is perfectly fluent in english.

You can find his contact info here

If you have no luck with the CPF private message system then you might try ringing him up or faxing him a quote request by using one of those dirt cheap "call the world for a dollar" long distance services, even if only to leave a message on his answering machine.
His phone and fax #'s are on the bottom of his litemania.com homepage.
LumenHound...THANKS for all your assistance regarding the drop-in switch. I do appreciate all your help !! If or when I get in touch with Warren I will post the outcome. Again.....you have been of great help...my best regards to you!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always happy to help Phosphor.
I have a dual stage switch in the Q3 I carry everyday and I really like it. I was surprised at how handy a LOW setting (mine has a 10 ohm resistor) is.
I use a rechargeable battery and get a solid 8 hours continuous on LOW.
An ordinary disposable CR123A would last even longer.

onthebeam

Enlightened
hurld said:
I've done a bunch of searching with no luck. Where can I buy the 2 stage switch for my Q3? Thanks for any help
If you are interested in one already built. I have a great one modded by Goldserve. PM me if interested.