U2 rechargeables

Polar

Newly Enlightened
Where can I buy Pila 168 or 18650 batteries and recharger for my U2. Also which ones would be best? My U2 does not have the inner piece so it should work.

greenLED

Flashaholic
jsburlys is *the* place to go for Pila products. Their new batteries have higher capacity, and their charger is "smart" now.

Polar

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
jsburlys is *the* place to go for Pila products. Their new batteries have higher capacity, and their charger is "smart" now.

Thanks but which ones do I need? 300S 600S??

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to spend less you can use unprotected 18650 cells that are cheaper than the protected (and very nice) Pila cells.

You U2 is made for using unprotected cells and AW sells both cheap and good unprotected 18650s and a DSD charger that will safely charge 1 or 2 at a time.
The main advantage with the Pilas is that they can be used in all lights that can take 18650 cells.

If you plan to use the cells in other lights than the U2 as well then I strongly recommend Pilas.

I use an unprotected 18650 in my U2.

Sverre

greenLED

Flashaholic
NoFair said:
If you want to spend less you can use unprotected 18650 cells that are cheaper than the protected (and very nice) Pila cells.

Before jumping into unprotected li-ions, I'd strongly recommend (if you haven't done so) you read this thread on li-ion safety. There are other threads out there on the same subject that are worthwhile reading. Chances are you could overcompress an unprotected li-ion cell in there and :poof: Chances also are that you'd be fine, but I encourage you to learn about these before taking the plunge. AFAIK, Pila are the only li-ion cells with liability protection (ask JSB about that).

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really disagreing with GreenLED, but I feel the points he made applies to almost every light except the U2.
This is why I recommended Pilas for other lights, if he doesn't intend to use his cells only in the U2.

I think AW sells LG Li-ions and these (as well as Sanyo and a few other brands) are very high quality cells that are protected from short circuits, but not from overcharging and over-discharging.

From what I've see on my cells and the U2, which won't over-discharge the cells, there should be very little risk in using un-protected cells as long as you use a good charger.

And I totally agree with the point on reading up on potential hazards with Li-ions.

Sverre

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
You should be able to use the 600P which is 18mm in
diameter. I believe that this cell replaces the 168A
which I use in my U2. The new cell put out 2200mHA
which is 200mmHA more than the 168A. As for the
protected and unprotected I agree with GreenLED, I've
seen the damage that a lithium cell can do.

:ohgeez: ..... :poof: or maybe BOOM !!!

The new 600P cell will have to be install through the
bezel end of the U2.

Last edited:

Polar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the help! So are 2 R123's too much for the U2?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 Li-ions is a NO-NO..

2 R123s also have lower capacity than one 18650 so there would have been no reason to use them anyway.

Sverre