What to do with my older 3AAA led torches ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that old, less than a year old, but replaced by single AA led torches, ( basically they're easier to change batteries, which last longer) any ideas what to do with the old triple AAA led torches, battery carriers, AAA nimh batteries, multi led heads etc ?

lexina

Enlightened
maybe, when Aw's C LiIOns become available, you could try to fit one of it in place of the 3 AAA? same voltage but a lot more capacity

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
lexina said:
maybe, when Aw's C LiIOns become available, you could try to fit one of it in place of the 3 AAA? same voltage but a lot more capacity

"C" cells too large

glire

Enlightened
Indeed C cells are too large.
I asked someone to bore the tailcap to fit a 18650. Result: solid 4 hours runtime with all 29 LEDs on :)

danielo_d

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the "send them to me" joke.

Because, I can always take them off your hands...err just kidding. :nana:

I'm in the same boat. I have 4 or 5 Lights that run off 3AAA's driving 1-Watt Luxs.

I have 4 18500 Li-Ions that I was thinking about trying. I'm using them two at a time in a 2-C incandescant mod. [Similar to a 3*CR123 Mod].

One of them at 3.7Vdc could drive the Luxs with a smaller resistor. Hmmmm.

Maybe I'll try it leter and give you an update. Have to go check some spec's.

Good Luck and let us know what you try.

Danno

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
Did the same, moved from 3xaaa's in carriers to single cell lights. Anything that used a carrier should fit an 18500 li-ion rechargeable with minor adjustment, like a sleeve or wrapping the cell with a paper towel. You may need a magnet or spring. If memory serves, diameter on most carriers run 21mm-23mm, length 55mm-62mm vs 18mmx50mm for the 18500. I had a Dorcy Metal Gear set up this way with a sleeve, gave it away so can't show you the set-up. At work now, so can't check if I still have the sleeves (gave it with the carrier).

Alternatively, you can give them away to your friends. I'll be your pal!
rolleye11.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, send them to me!!:nana:

Have you considered mods? Like maybe making a little night light. I did that to an Arc AAA head I had lying around and it works great. Also makes great gifts that are truly appreciated, and uses regular alk. batts so they will get used more.
I would be willing to get a few off someone as I am working on building a light assembly for my bicycle. I will run a wire to a bag and use batt holders like the high end stuff so the bodies don't matter.
If nothing else put them in B/S/T or Ebay. There is always someone who wants an led light out there.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need them, have you considered giving them to friends, family, or charity? If they're mostly parts, perhaps you could assemble some lights for friends and/or family? If you're not willing to part with them due to your financial investment in the lights, have you considered scamming them on eBay?

abvidledUK said:
any ideas what to do with the old triple AAA led torches, battery carriers, AAA nimh batteries, multi led heads etc ?