Any reflector tighter than stock Mag?

iced_theater

Enlightened
I have a 3C Mag with a Diamond DB-3W and was wondering if anyone makes a reflector that puts an even tighter beam for the LED? Or is the stock reflector about as good as it gets?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never tried it but this Super Narrow 2 degree 50mm collimator looks like a possible contender. The last of the 5 pictures shows it in a Mag head. The 4th picture shows a very informative intensity pattern chart. Here is 3 more pictures of one of these super narrow Carclo collimators mounted in a Mag.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at these a while back. The only place I found to buy them was directly from the manufacturer, and you needed to buy a full box. IIRC, that was 18 pieces at 30 pounds each (~$50) for a total minimum order of nearly $1000!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag reflector is the tightest reflector I've used. The Aleph III 38mm reflector is different, but I don't think it's any tighter and it won't easily fit in a Mag head. His 27L reflector fits in if you back the head off a bit, but that would need to be used with a Lux on either an O-sink or hotlips.

Personally, I love the way Don/McGizmo designs reflectors. I prefer the way they transition from hotspot to corona to spillbeam.

To the original topic, there are some larger head/reflectors intended for use with hotwire Magmods, but they cost several bucks and are not currently in stock so you're stuck with the used B/S/T market and they tend to sell very quickly when they come to market.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
LumenHound said:
I've never tried it but this Super Narrow 2 degree 50mm collimator looks like a possible contender. The last of the 5 pictures shows it in a Mag head. The 4th picture shows a very informative intensity pattern chart. Here is 3 more pictures of one of these super narrow Carclo collimators mounted in a Mag.
I wrote to Warren at Litemania about this reflector. He wrote back that he did not recommend it for flashaholics in "this" application, but I don't know why. I believe it is around $22, and I think you can buy just one. It is still a very appealing reflector to me. Searchlights use shallow refelctors like this, so I am hopeful. it can be made to work. I really want it to work! Can someone tell us if it works well?

Bernie

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the 2 degree collimator will fit the head of a C/D Mag, the shallow depth of it means you would have to pull the hotlips heatsink out of the top of the Mag switch/battery tube almost all the way in order to draw the Lux 3 or Lux 5 emitter up into the base of the collimator like this.

The 2 degree collimator would be best for applications where the shortest possible flashlight total length is most important.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried and have one of the Carclo 2 degrees :-

mag2deg2.jpg

Definitely not as tight as a stock mag reflector. The beam doesn't seem that smooth either but maybe I got the focus wrong.

So far I've noticed all optics I've come across cannot compare to reflectors for tightest spot. The mag reflector has a super defined corona and some spillbeam while the Carclo is just a bigger corona with less spill.

Can be useful depending on your needs. However, as mentioned, it needs a little modding to bring the lux up to the base of the reflector.

I'm not using mine anymore, so if anyone's interested, PM me. It has slight scratches on the back, but doesn't seem to affect the beam.
Sold to DonShock

Last edited:

Timson

Enlightened
Modamag is selling some Ally reflectors that he claims have been re-designed for more throw and overall output.

We're only talking small percentages though.....I doubt you'd notice the difference...Plus - not sure if his figures only apply to an incandescent set-up.

Here's the link anyway Click

Tim.