ultrastinger vs any surfire rechargable

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
are any of the sure fire rechargables brighter or have any other advantages over the streamlight ultrastinger cost is the biggest limiting factor for the surefire for me so far but i am having a hard time comparing...

Size15's

Flashaholic
The 10X will blow the UltraStinger out of the water (neither are waterproof BTW) in terms of light output, but I don't know by how much the UltraS will project a tight beam at longer range the 10X.

The 10X are the UltraStinger aren't designed for the same tasks.

I suppose the closest that SureFire gets to the UltraS at this point is the 9AN with KT TurboHead. I don't recall having read any comparisons between these two models.
My feeling is that the UltraS may still beat the SureFire in terms of beam tightness and output, but than I think it's bigger, doesn't come with two batteries, a rapid charger as standard and in Military Spec Level III Hard Anodising.

I hope that a new model for this year will beat the UltraS, and be shock isolated and have all the trimmings I expect from SureFire.

We'll see!

Al

recercare

Enlightened
According to what I've read in other threds the US and 10X have the same reach, but the 10X lights up MUCH more area. I believe the 10X to have about 30W bulb (500 lumen) while the US has about 10W. Again....wattage does not tell all, but still.....

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience on both is the US puts out a tighter beam further, but the 12PM puts out a LOT of light (a WHOLE LOT of light). The 12PM & the 6M are the lights that put out SF's perverbial "wall of light".
SHOCKED.gif
TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
Pardon the random thoughts. I just typed until I was done. I didn't bother with sentance structure and orgainization.

In our last meeting and "quals," I tried to get a conversation going about flashlights. All I got was some yawns, and heavy eyelids. …oh well. One of the old timers, when I started talking about lumens and candlepower, remarked, "…how many lumens is the muzzle flash of my .357 (Magnum) worth?" I ended the conversation while I was ahead.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post KT,

Jampacked with information valuable to Flashaholics as well as LEO's.

I'm sure that the Ho-hum attitude of your colleagues resonates with practically all Flashaholics, regardless of their line of work. Our fascinated interest in flashlights will always be regarded by 99.9% of our friends, family and colleagues as slightly eccentric and inexplicable. I've resigned myself to it, though I keep trying.

Actually, this evening at work I had what may be a real success: I think I made a convert! I was kidding around with some of the stagehands and I had my M6 with me (in a great $27.00 Nighthawk belt holster from Arizona Gun Runners.) I shone (shined?) it down a long rather well illuminated hall and blew them all away. Then, predictably they lost interest....all that is except for one guy. He kept looking at the light, and I RECOGNISED THAT SPECIAL GLEAM IN HIS EYES. "Do you like flashlights ?" I asked.
He said "Yes". Then I asked again "Do you REALLY like flashlights?" Again "Yes". I knew then that he was hooked! I told him about CPF and wrote down our address. That was really satisfying!

I thought you all would enjoy hearing about this.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

recercare

Enlightened
kogatana:

What a great review! I expected the 9AN to have a longer (useful) reach than 30 Yards. Is this because the beam is wide compared to US and Mag at tight focus?

Anyway, it's pretty funny that you didn't go for the 9AN considering "We use our lights most frequently to about 30 feet" I bet the 9AN would project a more comfortable beam at that distance compared to a flood/med.-focused US or Mag. Maybe you ought do the test indoors next time
smile.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
kogatana, you always post great posts - informative and objective. This is another one.

By the way, what do you think about Stinger? I have 9AN, Stinger XT and PolyStinger, I use Stinger more often than 9AN.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
are any of the sure fire rechargables brighter or have any other advantages over the streamlight ultrastinger cost is the biggest limiting factor for the surefire for me so far but i am having a hard time comparing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10X is the only SF rechargeables that is brighter than ultrastinger. UltraStinger still out throw 10X in long reach but not much. 10X throw out *wall* of very bright light that no one will miss you even around the corner. Before I light up my 10X for fun, I have to make sure nobody is around. It draws *a lot* of attention.

Other SF rechargeables (8AX/9AN) might not as bright as US, they're much smaller than US. It all depends on your own preference.

Alan

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow man thanks alot kt... i didn;t bargain for that much information and i think that for the price i will not be able to go wrong witht he ultrastinger. do ya'll agree? (yes im from Texas)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think the 9AN with TurboHead could give the UltraStinger a run for tight beam projection.

Am I going to have to get these two myself?!

Al

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
I carry my 9N quite frequently now and use it at no more that 30 feet at about 85% of the time. If I need more reach the U'Stinger fills the bill.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is exactly the reason I found that 10X is very practical. You don't need to switch the lights when situation comes up and provided that you carry 2 lights all the time.

I understand that 10X is bigger but is still way smaller than carrying 2 lights.

Albeit I love UltraStinger SO MUCH, I still carry 10X more due to this reason. 10X still throws very long reach and only marginally not as far as US.

Alan

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, lots of practical info!

Brightnorm,

You are not just a "recreational" user, you've become a "pusher"! <grin!>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Great post KT,

Jampacked with information valuable to Flashaholics as well as LEO's.

. . .lost interest....all that is except for one guy. He kept looking at the light, and I RECOGNISED THAT SPECIAL GLEAM IN HIS EYES. "Do you like flashlights ?" I asked.
He said "Yes". Then I asked again "Do you REALLY like flashlights?" Again "Yes". I knew then that he was hooked! I told him about CPF and wrote down our address. That was really satisfying!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
grin.gif
grin.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to compare 10x with 9AN or UltraStinger individually. What I am saying, if someone's job requires both characteristics of 9AN AND US, then 10X might be a good replacement for both.

Concealing (or carrying) a single10X wouldn't be worse than concealing one 9AN+ one UltraStinger. Of course, regarding using 10X with handgun, I am definitely not qualified to comment at all and you're the expert:)

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Pardon the random thoughts. I just typed until I was done. I didn't bother with sentence structure and organization. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post. Thanks!

Eric

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kogatana,

From what I read, either the Ultrastinger, or the Mag Charger would fit my use for a second light, for longer distance use, to back up my normal 9N. Is this correct? I'm wondering which would be the better choice. I'm leaning towards the Ultrastinger since it has a longer reach, and I don't think that I'll be abusing it too much (I hope
smile.gif
). How suited is it for closer in use, when not focused as tightly I mean? Is it as useful, or more so than the Magcharger? I imagine that the beam quality of the Ultrastinger is better due to it's textured reflector.