disassembly of TL series bodies

Paladin

Enlightened
Has anyone been sucessful removing the entire head from a TL-2 or TL-3 body? I tried a professional heat gun for long enough to char the wood vice blocks, and still could NOT twist the head off. YES, all the internals were removed first, including the bezel and all body o rings.

What I wanted to try was using the smaller TL-2 LED head assembly on a TL-3 body. The correct 3/123 LED "pill" for a TL-3 LED would be used, but I want to see how the Lux V does in the smaller, adjustable reflector. The 9 volt length is wanted, but not the larger head.

The TL-3's larger head and bezel I wanted to install on the TL-2 LED body, and would run the 2/123 Lux I "pill" for a TL-2 in the larger ADJUSTABLE head. OLDER TL-3 LED heads DO adjust. My newer one is fixed focus, and has a large chuck of aluminum for an extra heatsink apparently.

End result I would have had a nice slim 9 volt powered Lux V light. And a mini-turbo 6 volt Lux I. EXCEPT swapping the heads did not go well at all...

Any advice?

Paladin

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried taking off the head on my TL-2 when I first got it (just with my hands) as I thought it was screwed on. As I looked closer, the head and body looked like they were machined together. I've since never tried opening it as I thought it was just a single piece of aluminum. If you get it apart, let me know!
I've tried heating lights as well to get them apart and have minimal success. For me, a vice with a set of pliers does the trick most of the time (except of one of my lights....damn that one's on tight!).

Edit/Update: I just got off the phone with Streamlight (wanted to ask other Q's about the TL-3, so I asked this one too) and they confirmed that the head and body of the TL-3 and TL-2 are a single piece of Al, so you don't be able to separate them.

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened
That is nice to know. From looking at a Scorpion LED model "common sense" was telling me the head would unscrew, but now I know better. I was going to try locating a LARGE collet and try again, but now will leave them alone. Thx for the reply.

Paladin