Another TL-3 question

gbaker

Newly Enlightened
I was considering mounting my Steamlight TL-3 to my 870 shotgun. Unfortunately I noticed on a web site that a shock resistant TL-3 is sold. Is this hype or is a shock resistant TL-3 version actually made and needed for a shotgun blast.

If it isn't hype can my "normal" Tl-3 be modified to be shock resistant?

Thanks

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
I didn't (and still don't fully) know the answers to these questions, but as someone that really appreciates my TL-3, I decided to look into it.

Here is what I think is going on:

(1) With the original TL-3, when the bulb blew, you simply put a new bi-pin bulb in it's place - there wasn't the idea of a "lamp assembly" as such - well, there WAS, but it was permanent - it's the disc that holds the live bulb and the spare bulb.

(2) I SUSPECT that there isn't a new "shock-proof" TL-3 as such, but rather, there is a replacement bulb set-up which looks like it will fit in ALL TL-3 flashlights. The picture in this link makes me think this:

http://www.defensedevices.com/tl3-shockproof-bulb.html

(3) The picture looks like the whole "assembly" (nothing to do with reflectors in this case - rather, just the bulb and the disc-with-spring that it is mounted on) can be stuck in the TL-3, i.e. it is a replacement for the old TL-3 bulb AND the disc that you normally put the bulb in.

(4) I guess the thing in the picture is a bulb mounted permanently to the disc. If it wasn't permanently attached, it could come out if subjected to nasty recoil.

(5) I guess therefore there is no spare "bulb" hidden away in that picture, like there would be in the original set-up!

(6) The disc in the picture looks like it has some sort of concertina type arrangement around it which possibly deals with the recoil - either that and/or the spring (which is also a new addition).

In principle, therefore, it looks like you can simply order this "lamp assembly" and it will fit in your old TL-3. Only you'll probably have to get two - one spare - since I guess the bulbs are permanently attached.

I.e. you gain a more shock-proof set-up, but you lose the feature of a "spare bulb in the head" - you'll need to carry around a spare lamp assembly, as with many other brands.

This is all conjecture based on that picture. If you push the boat out and decide to get the lamp assembly (probably best verify with Streamlight first!) then I'd be fascinated to hear how it all works. I probably don't need that set-up myself, so I can hopefully still keep getting the cheap replacement bulbs for as long as they are available!

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Dammit! Took me so long to type that, missed MSI's post!

Checked that thread - seems pretty much as I thought. This is great news for gun-users or people that hit others with their TL-3's.

Hopefully it's still okay for the rest of us, i.e. they will keep producing the humble replacement bulbs...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've dropped my TL-3 twice... both while on, once from hand/waist level and once from about 6 feet. The waiste level drop landed on kitchen flooring and the 6 foot drop landed on wood beams in a chicken shack/barn environment and both drops were while the light was turned on and both drops were with the same bulb... the same bulb that is still running in the light.

I think the springiness absorbs quite a bit of the impact though I personally have no idea how it would hold up mounted to a shotgun.

I didn't read the thread on AR15 so sorry if this is redundant to what was said there... bottom line is it's a great light and a great value.

VWTim

Enlightened
I've never had a problem with SL's Bipin bulbs. I have a Strion I use at work in the Auto shop, it's been dropped onto concrete from ~4 feet several times, and another time, it was dropped from 4 feel, then rolled to the staircase (steep steel steps) then fell down the stairs into the basement, hit every 3rd or so step and finally land in the basement. The exterior is beat up now, but it works just as good as before.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
I suspect that the new shock-absorbing bulb assemblies from SL are a belt-and-braces job now that they are actively going after the weapon-mounting market.

It may be that you can get away with mounting a "normal" TL-3 on a small-calibre handgun, for example (I know nothing about guns, btw), and have very few issues with the bulb coming out or the filament breaking.

But SL would lose a lot of credibility if people got into the habit of mounting these on any old weapon and and suddenly they get lots of reports of bulbs coming out or breaking while so-and-so was machine-gunning rabbits or whatever.

Other companies put a lot of effort into shock-absorbing their bulbs for weapon-mounting, so there must be something in it.

I'm sort of tempted to get one of these bulb assemblies, just in case it does help in the case of a very nasty fall. But agree with the previous posts that one often gets away with it, even with a standard bi-pin bulb.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have more information on this? Is the only difference between theregular and shock proof light the bulb? Can one convert to the shockproof model by just changing the bulb?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The shockproofing is in the new lamp assembly. It has the bulb cmeneted in, and there's flat springs that absorb recoil.

The light, iteself, is unchanged.

-dan

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dan!!!

So I guess that means I can "convert" a regular TL-3 with a shock-proof bulb? (I don't own one yet; I was trying to decide whether to buy the regular TL-3 or the shock-proof one, which costs much more in some stores. I't doesnt sound like the higher price is warranted since the shockproof bulb assembly is only ~$13.)

Can the tailcap hold an extra bulb & assembly? I've seen the plain TL-3 bulb - it is tiny, while the assembly looks much bigger.

Thanks again!

Paladin

Enlightened
The new shockproof lamps have the filament at a different height, and the resulting beam profile is NOT as good as the old style bulbs.

An "upgrade" lamp wise, which also has a filament position that focuses well is the Laser Devices OP-9 lamp assy. This is a one way thing, the LD lamp fits the TL-3, but the TL-3 lamp assy. doen't fit a LD light.

That said, FORGET about hanging a TL-3 from your shotgun. There is no way you need that much throw, and the excess size of a TL-3 will not be needed. The Streamlight TLR-1 on an 870 is a sweet combo, make SURE you get the newer 870 mount from Streamlight. Old stock has a step in the rail which makes it a NO-GO, avoid it. HTH.

Paladin
Captured_2006-7-30_00006.jpg

oklalawman

Enlightened
I have a tl-3 thunder ranch model on my 870. I have not had a chance to shoot it a bunch. So far so good. the pressure switch is kind of thick is my real only complaint. Like others have said the beam is not as good. My 870 is far from stock being backbored, ported and knox recoil stock, so your reut might be different.

Paladin

Enlightened
Streamlights' chief engineer personally advised me NOT to use the TR bracket and TL-3 on my 870. He felt the size and weight was excessive for their 870 bracket. A TLR-1 weighs around 4 oz., the TR bracket and TL-3 around 10 ounces.

Tape switch on an 870, how about a picture of your arrangement? I just can't picture having wiring which can get hung up or fail on a "working" gun.

I fully understand personal needs vary greatly. My 20 inch IC choked barrel throws 12 to 14 inch patterns with 00 Buckshot at 10 yards, the maximum employment distance possible INSIDE my dwelling, hence I find the TLR-1 an elegant, simple, and very adequate solution. A Streamlight Scorpion xenon light is stored with the 870 for handheld use. My "step outside" carbine runs a TLR-1 as "back-up" to a 200 lumen incandescent, again with NO wiring.

Paladin