Jetbeam        

Thread: Recommend me a good computer speaker sys with following specs.

Flashaholic*

Default Recommend me a good computer speaker sys with following specs.

I have an Altec Lansing set that I have not even hooked up since moving here a year ago. Main reason being the subwoofer is darn near the size of the computer itself. Plus it is a thumpy innaccurate bass sound that kind of sounds muffly and drowns out other sounds.

I'm looking for a 2.1 system that would emphasize good clean sound over thumping bass. Other words a nice accurate mid/range treble and clean rather then thumpy bass so a reasonably sized subwoofer. Also as mentioned, I just want a two speaker system with a sub.
    I live in a van down by the river

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Recommend me a good computer speaker sys with following specs.

the best and most accurate 2.1 system for computers is the klipsch ifi. costco and BJs had them for 200 but im not sure if the deal is still good. also look at klipsch's ebay store refurbed ifis for 196 shipped. the sub is pretty large though, 10x10x15 inches. the system is designed for ipods but just buy a double ended male 1/8 cable to hook it up to a computer.

i have teh Logitec 5.1 z680,
    very happy with it!

I recommend Klipsch Promedia 2.1

I just bought some computer speakers for my laptop, last night. They're Bose Mediamate speakers. I got 'em at Sam's Club for 59.99 + tax. Man, oh man, they've completely exceeded my expectations. They're absolutely awesome. My dad just recently bought a Bose Wave stereo, and I swear, these things sound just as good, if not better (better, probably, because they're right in front me). The moment I turned them on, I felt complete satisfaction and rush of excitement similar to what I felt when I first got my Costco HID or my u-bin Raw. There's no subwoofer, but you'd never know it, the bass is excellent. I've got them playing low right now, and they still sound incredibly full and sweet. I turned them up earlier, and they fill the room completely. Just amazing.

Do you have to work within a price ? If you don't...

Can always buy a a really nice sound card (one of the creative audigy series ones...not the best but quite good and easy to find), then buy a decent ~80W amp (can get 2nd hand or ex demo to save some), then buy a pair of decent bookshelf speakers. Not hhheaaaappsss expensive and will completely eat computer speakers for breaky. If this sounds good, check out some hifi mags for brands to get/recommendations etc. What HiFi comes to mind...

Flashaholic*

freinds do not let friends buy bose

I have a sony str - de575 5ch reciever powering 5 minimus 7 wood case rat shack speakers and a little sub that has 2 - 6.5 inch orion carbon fibre woofers in it - 2.5 inch voice coils hooked up to a amp with a 400 watt power supply.

this setup really rocks

oh my sound card is a soundblaster audigy 4 platinum.

find a little hi performance sub - active or passive

get a couple good little speakers like the minimus 7

then use a decent stereo reciever or amp.
    Last edited by markdi; 03-10-2006 at 01:52 PM.

I have both the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's and Klipsch Ifi's they both sound fantastic, you'll be happy with either purchase although the promedia's are becoming outdated.

If you can find them.

Advent av570

I have 6, and would not trade them for anything, even a beast with a lifetime supply of batteries.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

If you're going to go the receiver route, may as well get a decent branded one and some good speakers to match it. As i said, if price is an issue, but you're willing to spend a bit for better sound. Look for ex demo stuff, which almost always comes with full proper warranty, or 2nd hand, or even see if some of your friends may be selling a decent system. You'll also want to decide whether you want stereo or surround sound before...amp is stereo, receiver is surround and you also must make sure the sound card you have/getting will have a surround signal output that the receiver can directly take.

I have a Onkyo receiver running a pair of tower speakers with AR speakers in them, quite nice...got a cheapie sub hooked up to it too, but i only turn that on when i really crank the volume or playing games.

Tell us what you end up getting

Note: Proper computer systems are good quality too, just that the receiver/amp route is the next step up i guess, but decent computer speakers can impress soundheads too!

Flashaholic*

Thanks for all the suggestions. No I definitely don't want to set up a receiver outfit! Mainly I just want some good sound for the footprint. I never actually thought of just a two speaker system with a subwoofer as they are so popular these days. I will not be pumping these very loud as I live in a community living dwelling. I use my headphones when I go that route. Do not really want to go over a hundred dollars although might exceed that slightly if fell in love with the speakers.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilezs
    the best and most accurate 2.1 system for computers is the klipsch ifi. costco and BJs had them for 200 but im not sure if the deal is still good. also look at klipsch's ebay store refurbed ifis for 196 shipped. the sub is pretty large though, 10x10x15 inches. the system is designed for ipods but just buy a double ended male 1/8 cable to hook it up to a computer.
    I second this recommendation! I wish Klipsch would market the ifi's as regular pc speakers not just "ipod" speakers. You will not find a better 2.1 PC/Multimedia speaker than these. No other "PC" speakers - Logitech, Klipsch promedia, Creativelabs etc. speakers will even come close to these as far as sound quality.

And yes, friends don't let friends buy bose!!!! http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
    Last edited by Donovan; 03-08-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Flashaholic*

since your budget is 100 dollars the klipsch promedia 2.1 can be found at best buy on sale for about 130+tax somtimes. ive seen them at that price a few times. or go the klipsch ebay refurb route for about 100 shipped if i remember correctly.

I like these:

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/arti...d,36853,00.asp

Best PC sound I've heard, and my kids actually think they sound as good as my multithousand dollar home theater system. (I don't, what do they know?)

Bought mine at WallyWorld. (I know, it's amazing, but they do have good stuff sometimes!)

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

I had to stick with budget baby.

I was using a crummy Labtec 2 speaker system for a long time.

I hit Wallyworld and came home with Creative 2.1 SBS330.

Sure they ain't the big time, but were a worthy step up from Labtec!!!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Quote Originally Posted by Delvance
    Do you have to work within a price ? If you don't...

Can always buy a a really nice sound card (one of the creative audigy series ones...not the best but quite good and easy to find), then buy a decent ~80W amp (can get 2nd hand or ex demo to save some), then buy a pair of decent bookshelf speakers. Not hhheaaaappsss expensive and will completely eat computer speakers for breaky. If this sounds good, check out some hifi mags for brands to get/recommendations etc. What HiFi comes to mind...
    Sounds similar to what I had before my Klipsch Promedia system. Had an old Phase Linear 400 amp and a pair of Radio Shack Mach Three speakers.

Flashaholic*

the amp is nice

are those white van speakers ?

Hmmmm he thinks....

I COULD get my Sony Surround Sound reciever out and set it up in here. I have a decent pair of RCA speakers that could set about 3-4 feet on either side on the 'puter desk.

Just ain't no place for it in the main room, try as I might....

PBJS

Quote Originally Posted by markdi
    the amp is nice

are those white van speakers ?
    Nope. Old Radio Shack speakers.

This is a white van speaker (not mine)

Flashaholic*

I love my minimus 7's

great speakers for their size and price

epecially if paired up with a sub

I knew your speakers were radio shack

I was wondering if any one would know what white van speakers were.

Flashaholic*

You're in luck, especially since you're in Mass. Two of the best 2 channel speaker systems that were ever made for PCs came from a company in Newton called Cambridge SoundWorks. The SoundWorks system and the MicroWorks (my favorite) system are really great if you can still find them. Some Cambridge SoundWorks stores may still have them and the good part is they're usually discounted heavily since they appear to be discontinued. I think both of these speaker systems were designed by the late Henry Kloss before he sold off Cambridge to start up Tivoli Audio.

If you want something that can also double as a small stereo system that can fill a small living room go for the MicroWorks or it's replacement the MicroWorks II.

Quote Originally Posted by geepondy
    I have an Altec Lansing set that I have not even hooked up since moving here a year ago. Main reason being the subwoofer is darn near the size of the computer itself. Plus it is a thumpy innaccurate bass sound that kind of sounds muffly and drowns out other sounds.

I'm looking for a 2.1 system that would emphasize good clean sound over thumping bass. Other words a nice accurate mid/range treble and clean rather then thumpy bass so a reasonably sized subwoofer. Also as mentioned, I just want a two speaker system with a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by jtice
    i have teh Logitec 5.1 z680,
    very happy with it!
    Bingo! Me too, and love this system. The headphone output sucks though, in that you have to turn it way up for good volume...

-C

Flashaholic*

I had some speakers from Cambridge Soundworks from five or six years ago but didn't Creative labs buy them out?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    You're in luck, especially since you're in Mass. Two of the best 2 channel speaker systems that were ever made for PCs came from a company in Newton called Cambridge SoundWorks. The SoundWorks system and the MicroWorks (my favorite) system are really great if you can still find them. Some Cambridge SoundWorks stores may still have them and the good part is they're usually discounted heavily since they appear to be discontinued. I think both of these speaker systems were designed by the late Henry Kloss before he sold off Cambridge to start up Tivoli Audio.

If you want something that can also double as a small stereo system that can fill a small living room go for the MicroWorks or it's replacement the MicroWorks II.

*Flashaholic*

just got back from Sam's club. they got a Logic tech PC sound system with separate base box and 5 more channels/speakers for the amazing price of $57

it sounded great!!!

a bose mini system was next display and logic tech sounded way better by a mile.

I've got the version before this one and it still puts out excellent sound. but newer version sounds better. cost was aproxl same. absolutely most bang for $$!!

Savage is coming through just peachy on my cheapy Creative 2.1 System...

I'll try one of my killer sound system tests later!!!

PBJS