The durability of Cell phones

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speederino's thread where he dropped his phone into water had got me thinking; what are some of the more durable phones avaliable?

My main problem is dropping my cellphone onto hard ground from 3 feet up. I've dropped my phone a few times takeing it out of my pocket. So far, my V551 has been dropped six times; mostly on hard ground and once in a small puddle while it was raining. I'd say it is reasonable durable aside from the scratches all over.

A friend of mine killed his Razr on the first drop; after that, the number keys wouldn't work anymore.

JackBlades

Enlightened
My Samsung P-107 was dropped so many times the antenna broke off. I sanded down the stub and it works just fine! Not sure about water, but a magazine (Popular Science?) did a test a couple years ago and found that many cell phones can be "dunked" and dried out with little or no damage.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even the Mayor of Oakland CA (Jerry Brown--Yea--that Jerry Brown) is having problems with video cell phones not holding up... Even made the paper:

Mayor Jerry Brown...

Crime-busting Oakland Mayor Jerry Brown finds himself the subject of a criminal complaint following an early morning run-in outside a downtown nightclub.

A 26-year-old woman says Brown, who is running for state attorney general, broke her camera phone outside the Telegraph Avenue club early Sunday. She says the mayor broke the device as she was trying to videotape him making insensitive comments about club patrons.

:popcorn:

-Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
We used NexCell flip-up phones on my old job - tough little suckers... and, yes, they survive toilet dunks :green:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had 4 different Motorola Nextel phones that I got through work over the years. With each one, I purchased a case/pouch to protect it. Just about every one of my coworkers did not have a case/pouch. Every one of us have dropped our phones on occasion, and I'm the only one to have not broken my phone. I think the key to a long life for cell phones, or any small portable piece of electronics for that matter, is to use a case/pouch. Just ask people with expensive ipods. A case may just save you money and aggravation in the long run.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a motorola. I think it's a v551 but I'm not sure and I rag the hell out of it. It has burns on it. I've dropped it at least 30-40 times. I've sat on it. I've thrown it down (gently) into dirt and grass and leaves . My dog has chewed on it. I've used it with food, solvents, oils , grease on my hands. It still works. I put one phone through the washing machine and drier and it still works. Phones are just about the only electronics that I've gotten decent service from despite abuse.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old Nokia 7250i had been dropped many, many times. 50 or 60 doesn't sound too high. It's fallen out of my hoodie pocket while running, landing in just the right spot for me to kick it. The thing still works, only a couple of the buttons aren't functioning as well as they should (from heavy use). Most likely, though, it's durability is a result of being kept in a case. It's just recently been replaced by the Nokia 5140. I don't keep the new one in a case, but it's supposed to be a super durable one.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most durable phone I've had. Simple. Nokia 3310. Got it when they were still new, and still have it. Have had *thinks* three or four since...but have always ended up going back to it. No case either, and it still works. My only gripe with it is that if dropped on a hard surface (like when it takes a suicide dive from my breast pocket when I'm trying to catch the bus to work), you end up with the handset going one way, the front cover another, the keypad another, and the battery and rear cover also seperately making a break for freedom! Another wonderful advertisment for cases though, aside from the obvious shock protection. That phone still works perfectly, only reason it has finally been replaced (by a Nokia 2600 - basically an updated 3100!), is that the battery is on its last legs, and a new battery would cost me £30...and a new phone cost the same!

Ericsson A1018s proved to be of a similar level, though it was let down by a battery with a short life and prohibitive replacement cost. The case on that thing should be used to make armor plating...that thing took many dives to concrete and tarmac...and the only thing showing ANY marking is the antenna, which has a couple of chunks taken out of the rubber coating. It still works too.

Only one I've ever had any problems with was an NEC e313 - which has had issues with battery life (a day at best!) software crashes, loss of connection to network...and a permenant scar from its first trip to the ground...in a case! Wouldn't recommend that to anyone, which is a shame, because it is a design that actually works really well.

Will be interested to see how the Nokia 2600 does. Cheapest phone I've ever bought, feels well put together though.

83Venture

Enlightened
My daughter has the Virgin flip phone that she has managed to have run through the washer 2 different times. Both times I baked it in the oven a couple of times on low for around 30 min and it still works fine. The outside screen is a little funky but the inside one is fine. Tough little phone. I'm sure that has to void the warranty. :)

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Would anyone believe that my wife and I have never had a cell phone? I would not know the first thing about them to be honest. I have used one or two before that were someone elses but they always had to tell me how to turn it on and off. :eek:
I have always thought it would be a good for my wife to have one in case of an emergency though.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/2260 Although this phone isnt much to look at. It is the most durable phones ever. I have actualy tried to break this phone with no luck. This included throwing it as high as I could into the air. It was fine landing on grass. I also drop kicked the phone a few times. Not only did it work after, but it never even turned off, stayed on the whole time. It is not waterproof, but if you are really worried about your phone falling, this is a great one. I no longer use, but it is still laying around =/.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
LifeNRA said:
Would anyone believe that my wife and I have never had a cell phone? I would not know the first thing about them to be honest. I have used one or two before that were someone elses but they always had to tell me how to turn it on and off. :eek:
I have always thought it would be a good for my wife to have one in case of an emergency though.
I was in the same boat about a year ago. Then I got a Tracphone for $100, which gave me 350 minutes, good for two years. I've used only about 100 of those minutes -- for emergencies and almost-emergencies. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, but I don't use them anyway.

It's a cheapie phone -- a Motorola 120, but it never has given me a problem.

Paul

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
My Nokia 6310 got dunked into the loo. (It was clean!). I took it out, dried it and its still working to this very day.

Screehopper

Enlightened
Cingular, T-Mobile stop Razr cell phone sales
Companies say a glitch in Motorola's wildly popular phone causes dropped calls or shut down; Motorola stock tumbles over 2 percent.
March 10, 2006: 3:39 PM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Cingular Wireless and T-Mobile USA have temporarily stopped selling the Razr, Motorola's flagship cell phone, due to a technical glitch that causes the phone to drop calls or shut down, the companies said Friday.

Rest of story here:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/10/technology/razr.reut/index.htm

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
AngelEyes said:
My Nokia 6310 got dunked into the loo. (It was clean!). I took it out, dried it and its still working to this very day.
loo = toilet, right? :toilet: