Smallest/Lightest Light?

Spin

Enlightened
What single cell (AA or CR123) lights are the smallest in weight & length with a runtime of 2 hours or more?

Spin

Enlightened
Also are there small non-metal lights that take one AA or CR123?

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
That's an interesting point.

The only common small flashlights that are usually made out of plastic that I can think of are the keychain type lights, but since you state AA or 123 cell batteries, these don't really fit the bill.

The smallest/lightest flashlight I can think of, with a runtime of over 2 hours, is homemade and runs off a CR2012-type battery. Some "ultralightweight" backpackers have made these - it is simply a 5mm LED with it's legs strapped directly to either side of the CR2012 cell with insulating tape! Sometimes arranged cleverly so that you have to press one of the legs to make contact and turn the LED on.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.batterystation.com/splashlite.htm

A great little waterproof, polymer light- I put it on a lanyard around my neck for night swimming. Its about twice as bright as an Arc AAA and will run for about 6 hours on 1 CR123. Definitely one of the smallest and lightest CR123 lights I can think of that won't break the bank (like a Firefly). I'm still waiting for something similar to come out using a AA.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Fire-Fly III or a Jil Intelli are two of the smallest lights available for their battery size, and both use the same FluPIC circuitry (although the FF3 has beefier output with the larger battery). You have up to 3 brightness levels accessable, two of which are user chosen from 20 total, so you can set one to low mode, one to your 2 hour runtime mode, and burst (full brightness) if you want it.

I don't know if "lighter" lights are available in these sizes (Orb Raw maybe), but at this point, you're arguing grams rather than ounces.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Spin said:
What single cell (AA or CR123) lights are the smallest in weight & length with a runtime of 2 hours or more?

Two hours at near-full brightness or decreasing? Two hours of full brightess'd be tough for a single cell, unless you dim it down.

The Infinity and the ArcAA are small AA lights.
The Firefly would be a small, currently available, 123. Next in line would be the ArcLS. The HDS is huge compared to either of them.

Are you asking just for the trivia or are you actually looking for such a beast? Assuming the second option, what are you going to use the light for? Keychain carry? Pocket/lanyard carry? How much brightness do you need/want (vs. associated runtime trade-offs)?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova 24/7 - 6 hrs on high and 15 hrs on low. d
Despite all the small high powered LED lights I have, this is still one of my favorites.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Spin said:
Okay, what about the Gerber Recon? It'll go for roughly 14~20 hours and if I remember correctly, it runs off one AA?