Fenix L1P vs Improved Inova X1

ront

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I have been putting off buying the Fenix L1p for a while now. I think I am ready to do something, but now with the release of the new and improved Inova X1, I am wondering which one to get. Which do you guys like better in terms of overall quality, beam quality and runtime?

Thanks for your input.

Ron

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight reviews has done reviews of both lights. The Fenix L1P destroys the X1 in terms of output. It has 3 times the overall power and 10 times the throw. I don't know about the runtime of the X1, but I would imagine it is better than the L1P. You also have to figure that the L1P is at least 2x as expensive.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the fact that they are both single AA cell LED lights, they have pretty much nothing in common. The L1P is probably 3 to 4 times brighter and really needs either an NiMH cell or a primarly Lithium cell to do it's thing best while the X1 can be run absolutely just fine on an alkaline cell. Runtime of the L1P on an alkaline is going to be about an hour while the X1 will run for probably 4 or 5 hours to 50% brightness and will put out enough light to read by for close to a day.

For general quality, they are both great, but I'd lean towards the Inova. It's been long my favorite 'feeling' pocket sized light. The glass lens is nice, the tailcap has been VERY reliable for me though not everyone shares my experience and some hate the twist on tactical type action. The Fenix is close, and I'd be hard pressed to actually complain about it, but I still prefer how the Inova feels.

For beam... the new X1s wil have a bluish center and a greenish-white spillbeam while the Fenix is at the mercy of the Luxeon lottery. I've had good luck with the Fenix lights I've had. While they have different tints, unless compared to seomthing else, I've been happy with all three of my L1Ps, my one L0P, my one L2P and my two L1 non-premiums.

Overall, for me, it comes down to brightness and runtime. If you want something that is usably bright and will run for 5+ hours at good relative brightness, go for the Inova. If you want something 3 times as bright that runs for 1/4 as long, get the Fenix.

Or be a real CPFer and get both.
nana.gif

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P uses an R-bin Lux1 while the X1 uses a 5mm LED. The 2 types of LEDs used are in completely different performance categories of one another. It depends on what you want, brightness or runtime. Each one excels in one category relative to the other. I like the quality of the Inovas I've seen and played with. I've never seen a Fenix in person, so I can't comment on those, but there are tons of owners and reviews on CPF. You can possibly mod the X1 with a Lux1 or Lux3 and make it outperform the L1P, but that will cost additional money.
Personally, I can't justify the cost of the X1 for a single 5mm LED light, even tho I know Inova's build quality is great. This the same reason I'm not interested in the Arc AAA-P, which is another massively popular light on CPF. I love my KeyMate with a CS LED in it...great output and much cheaper and the build quality is great also. Batteries aren't as common, but I can get them online for cheap.

ront

Newly Enlightened
I am already looking to order a U2 in a day or 2 so for now I can't get both. I do like the runtime of the Inova. Also, does the Fenix have a momentary on like the inova? For some reason, I don't think it does.
If I have a G2, L4 U2 and a Inova X1 will that qualify me to be a real CPFer?

Ron

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P is a reverse clickie, so no momentary till after it's already on (can momentarily partial press for off). I think a member modded an X1 with a Lux...might be an option worth looking into. To keep the same runtime, you can run the Lux at the stock current and it will probably still provide a less tinted light color. I personally like momentary on, constant twist switches.