iC3 batteries

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been as active on CPF in the last few months as I've been in the past. I've noticed I haven't been seeing Ray-O-Vac iC3 batteries in stores anymore. A friend of mine noticed the same thing, but he was able to order them direct from Ray-O-Vac. What happened? Are they phasing them out? I've been using then for a couple years now, with great results, and I'd hate to not be able to get more.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Empath

Flashaholic
The iC3 cells are still being marketed heavily by Radio Shack, with their name instead of Ray-O-Vac's. They charge a premium for them though.

I would imagine the 15 minute chargers that charge the non-iC3 cells, now being marketed by Energizer, Sony, Duracell, and possibly others have put a dent into the iC3 system.

The iC3 is designed for the heavy charge, but requires a proprietary charger for it's 15 minute charge. The iC3 cannot charge other cells in 15 minutes. Together, I'd think that has put the system into a difficult competitive position. I don't know Ray-O-Vac's commitment with iC3, but I can see where it puts Ray-O-Vac in a difficult situation in attempting to match the others in producing a non-iC3 15 minute charger.

I'd suspect that Ray-O-Vac will abandon their commitment to them, just as they abandoned the renewable alkalines. How quickly probably depends on their legal obligations to iC3.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I hope they don't abandon them. I had accumulated about 30 different cells from various manufacturers. Different capacities and charge rates for each which meant a handfull of chargers too. I ditched them and went to the IC3 and have been very happy with them. I only need 1/2 the cells.

I still see the cells for sale at walmart and walgreens. The chargers are harder to find.

The only problem I've had is one channel of one of my chargers bleeds down the cell if it's left in the charger after charging. After a few days that cell is at zero volts. The cell accepted a charge when put in a different channel. Gotta fix that.

Daniel

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
walmart blew out the ic3 stuff here last month.
i left 1 store with several hundred packs of mostly aa and some aaa for $1/4
rebuilt a buch of htx202 and dupont chromavision packs with them.
a great deal if you can find a store with some still in the clearance aisle.

bcwang

Enlightened
snakebite said:
walmart blew out the ic3 stuff here last month.
i left 1 store with several hundred packs of mostly aa and some aaa for $1/4
rebuilt a buch of htx202 and dupont chromavision packs with them.
a great deal if you can find a store with some still in the clearance aisle.

Holy Smoke!!! That's cheap. I'd buy them to use in my regular charger at that price.

Empath

Flashaholic
Ray-O-Vac, iC3, or whoever makes their charger could probably pull ahead of the other 15 minute chargers by making their chargers a 15 minute charger for any brand, and then promoting the iC3 cell as superior due to it being manufactured specifically for the higher current charging.

As is, the circuit breaking at full charge messes up the detection methods of the other 15 minute chargers.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath said:
Ray-O-Vac, iC3, or whoever makes their charger could probably pull ahead of the other 15 minute chargers by making their chargers a 15 minute charger for any brand, and then promoting the iC3 cell as superior due to it being manufactured specifically for the higher current charging.

As is, the circuit breaking at full charge messes up the detection methods of the other 15 minute chargers.
they seem ok in an energizer 30 minute charger.
it terminates by temp.
if i put 4 in a holder on a maha 777+2 the temp sensor doesnt catch it before they switch internally.starts beeping every few minutes.