how to diffuse beam (scotch tape falling off)

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
I have a light with three LEDs that I use for close up work and the beam pattern has some distracting lines in it.

Someone on this forum suggested that this sort of problem can be fixed with a piece of scotch tape over the light. I tried that and it made a huge difference. With tape on it, the light is great.

But the light gets tossed around and the tape keeps falling off. Are there any more permanent mods I could perform to diffuse the light that would have the same effect as the tape?

The light in question is this one:
http://www.essentialgear.com/store.cgi?action=link&sku=1329&uid=804

mdocod

Flashaholic
i played with glad-press-n-seal on the lense of my thor, turned that tight spot into an everyday interior work lamp.(similar to turning on the 200W halogen work lights on stands)... i only had it on there a few days, doubt it would be a perminant solution unless you were to glue it around the edges

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
This light doesn't have a lens. The LEDs are just sitting recessed in the plastic head, so there's really a very small surface area for the tape to stick to unless you fold it around, but because of the curved shape of the plastic head, it's difficult to fold the tape around and stick it to anything without distorting the layer that is across the LEDs.

Maybe if I could find a suitable rigid plastic material I could glue it to the head.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
adrianmariano wrote: "Are there any more permanent mods I could perform to diffuse the light that would have the same effect as the tape? "

From the posts here on CPF - it seems that most people just sand the LEDs.

Suggest doing it very gradually - starting with some light/mild scratches using a mild abrasive/scourer - check - until getting the effect desired.

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
I have sanded the LED on a Red Photon II because there were wierd rings in the beam. I used 600 grit paper. I would suggest some scotchbrite, though, I think it would be easier and produce a better result (though sanding worked well enough).

-John

CLHC

Flashaholic
As suggested by the others, sanding it would be a good choice to. Another alter-native is to use Sand Etch by Armour Products—though it is expensive. Someone used a Dremel to "lightly" [sc]ruff the surface of the LEDs.

—Enjoy!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add a lens made from translucent plastic milk carton material? Place it behind the clear lens if the light has one; if it doesn't have a lens it might require a bit more effort to create a lens position.

adrianmariano said:
But the light gets tossed around and the tape keeps falling off. Are there any more permanent mods I could perform to diffuse the light that would have the same effect as the tape?

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
As suggested by the others, sanding it would be a good choice to. Another alter-native is to use Sand Etch by Armour Products—though it is expensive. Someone used a Dremel to "lightly" [sc]ruff the surface of the LEDs.

—Enjoy!

Before I saw this light had no external lens ... I was going to suggest Armor Etch glass etching stuff, if you have a glass lens. Makes a nice matte finish. They have a gel and a bath.

Piers

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
blastjv said:
I have sanded the LED on a Red Photon II because there were wierd rings in the beam. I used 600 grit paper. I would suggest some scotchbrite, though, I think it would be easier and produce a better result (though sanding worked well enough).

Why was sanding hard or suboptimal? I have sandpaper going up to and beyond 1500 grit on hand. But it does seem like reaching the sides of the LEDs might be hard since the three of them are packed in there together. But a scotchbright pad would be impossible to get into the narrow space between them.

Any downsides to sanding?