Does anyone make this LED light?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering if there's a light out there like this, or if I'll have to make one:

1. Red LED
2. No brighter than a 2D flashlight--or variable brightness
3. One-hand silent switch with on/off/momentary
4. Not junk
5. Should use AAA or AA, but it's not that important.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
ABTOMAT said:
Just wondering if there's a light out there like this, or if I'll have to make one:

1. Red LED
4. Not junk

We can make a 4- or 6-LED 2AA minimag like this, although there is a slight slick from the Kroll switch (not in momentary, though). I think an off-the-shelf red X5 probably does this ,but of course it doesn't take AA's.

Piers!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The upcoming Nite Ize red 3 LED drop in and a Minimag?

I'll say I recently bought a red X5 and the output is considerable. In all honesty, with a red light, I'd prefer it a bit dimmer with greater runtime. It uses a CR123, but only uses one at a time and is probably the very best way to use up partially depleted CR123 cells from Xenon lights. That's why I bought mine.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
ABTOMAT said:

1. Red LED
4. Not junk

:naughty: Sounds like you want to have some fun! :lolsign:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
As silly as it sounds, it's for going to the john at night without waking up family members. Don't want to fall down the stairs.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gerber Trio with red LEDs sounds about right. Its a compact (shorter than a minimag) 2AA light that produces a decent flood of red light from it's 3 5mm red LEDs (nice and deep red, not red-orange like most luxeons). While its not really intended for momentary, the slight play in the threads in the rear twisty provides momentary easily, and the twist action for constant on is easy to do with one hand and is silent. The overall build quality is actually pretty good, especially considering this can be had for $20.

I just noticed your last post, and the Trio might actually be too bright. A few lights I've used for this purpose (midnight pee): Gerber Infinity Ultra w/red LED- bright enough, Dorcy AAA modded with a red LED, and Rigel Systems Skylight- this one is good because it switches between red and white (in case some other need arises) light and has infinitely adjustable brightness levels for both. Just note that it doesn't have momentary and uses a 9 volt battery.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where's Tron, I see a new class of light--the MPC. :) Recently I've been using an Army anglehead 2D with the red filter, but it's a clumsy light. I've also tried my red Tekna Night-Eye (first LED flashlight in the US, I think) but it's a bit too dim and with no spill.

How bright is the red Ultra compared to the white Ultra-Gs? My G (currently lost, but hopefully not gone) would have been perfect in red. I don't require momentary if it's easy enough to one-hand, like the Ultra-G.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red isn't as bright as the white as humans aren't as sensitive to red light, but its certainly enough to navagate a house with dark adapted eyes. If you need brighter, I'd say the Trio is more than enough, and the Rigel also get reasonably bright (it has 2 LEDs of each color).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Eternalight Derringers have one red LED with two levels plus 2 whites, and I think the Ergo model can be had with 2 reds and 2 whites, also with variable brightness. Don't think either can switch on directly to red.

Geoff

greenLED

Flashaholic
ABTOMAT said:
As silly as it sounds, it's for going to the john at night without waking up family members. Don't want to fall down the stairs.

Red LED drop-in from Nite-Ize.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For that purpose, one of the Photon type lights is usually more than adequate. And if you get one that has a clip on it, you can clip it to your jammies.

ABTOMAT said:

Luxman

Enlightened
+1 on the SF Red L1. Excellent 2 stage light.
I have this light and have also attached a lightly sanded clear filter from a MimiMag as a diffuser. It works great!

0974l1filter700q93dh.jpg