And then I pulled out my flashlight stories...

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all started at a co-works going away party... 10-15 people in a room built for 6, waiting for the unsuspecting departing co-worker to surprise him for a go away party, cake and all. (Mind you CPF'er Sixpointone was walking outside with this co-worker distracting him. He missed the whole display)

Then...lights go out..poof...

I respond with my E1L and the look of awe was priceless.... followed by "Why do you have a flashlight"...

Granted not interesting in a light respect but.... does anyone have a good "then I pulled out my light to everyone's amazement" story?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manzerick said:
... does anyone have a good "then I pulled out my light to everyone's amazement" story?

Yup... but they aren't G-rated so...
nana.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... definately don't try and imagine!
icon10.gif

I've impressed a couple people on occasion. I remember my father in law giving me a hard time about carrying a flashlight/being fixated on flashlights until... we were walking in his cabin to which we had added an octagonal entrance that's 16x16 feet or so in the dark... So... there we are... No power... no ambient light (since we're 16 feet from the new entrance... How exactly do you expect to find the keyhole in complete darkness?

Out comes my Streamlight TL-3!

No more problem.

He hasn't said anything else about me carrying a flashlight since.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people,colleagues and friends take the mickey out of me for carrying torches so much. But they also come to me and borrow some for work or home or holiday use. They are mostly converted to me carrying them as a good idea.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Not too long ago I flew to a remote part of the country, and was having a meeting with a small room full of people.

It was getting dark out, and right in the middle of the meeting, all the lights went out. My colleagues who knew me well asked me for my flashlight... :candle:

Then I pulled out my SF A2, and turned on its first level of led lights(not wanted to appeal to be a show-off). Few marvelled at the fact that this flashlight was life-saver, and we should be able to navigate ourselves out, while the others complained about the low level of light which would not be sufficient to conduct the meeting...that was when I decided to turn it up to the second level of 70+ lumens of incan light. :devil:

The room was filled with photon bouncing off the ceiling, and the 'wuu' and 'ahh'. The meeting continued for another 20-30 minutes, and I was one happy flashaholic that day. :)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just switched jobs and work ina small windowless office now (40 x 40 room est) and the lights went out!

4 people are yelling "ohh no, the emergence lights arn't on!!!"

Then Manzerick pulls out my green Night com(since sold on BST), ARC and Q-3... everyone cheered!!!!

A new respect for my collection is had by all :O)

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted this elsewhere, but I think its funny enough to go here...

OK, some of you guys *might* identify with and get a kick out of this, it happened to me on a Satuday night while attending the wedding of one of my wife's friends. To start out, I had thought I was pretty smart when I ordered my wife an ORB Raw NS, with 3 pink trits, intending to give it to her for Valentine's Day. Sure, it was delivered way late, but that didn't seem to bother her, and she didn't make fun of me or anything....until at the wedding!

OK, to set the stage, we are at the reception. Seated at a table with about 12 people - 3 of us guys, the rest gals, and all of us married, and now on about the 2nd or third glass of wine. Out of nowhere, my wife whips out her keys with the ORB, and makes fun of me by saying "look what dorky gift my dear husband gave me for V-Day!" Well, this is not good
dizzy.gif
Thankfully, the blow is lessened by the replies of the wives of the other two, one of whom says "at least you got something, I got stiffed last year" and the wife of the third guy who says "hey, that light's pretty neat, Steve got me an alarm clock!" So, luckily I don't end up the dorkiest one, right? Yeah, the whole thing surprised me as my wife doesn't normally gig me in public like that.

Well.......Revenge is sweeeeet!!
laughing7.gif

15 minutes later all of us at the table are now near the dance floor, waiting for the bride and groom to do their thing so we can then dance. Its real dark. Horrors!! Everyone is watching, and the groom can't see to hook up her dress in the back with those little clips!! Panic is starting to set in, he's sweating, the bride is annoyed. Relax, Daddy Mack is here, and I whip out the ORB, flick it on, and light up her backside
blink7ue.gif
bootyshake.gif
so the groom can get her hooked up!! Major relief for the couple, and the bride turns around and gives me a big smooch to thank me for being so resourceful. I tell you guys, my wife and all her friends were right there watching, and she just wanted to die. All the girls are now saying to me things like "gee, that sure comes in handy" and stuff like that
woot.gif

The wife, of course, wanted to kill me. I just smiled
laughing7.gif
content knowing I had just enjoyed one of those rare moments in a marriage when I just completely owned my wife, and she knew it.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this, Thanks, Manzy! :laughing:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Haven't had any lifesaving or really cool experiences yet. I've handed my Arc AAA or now my Fenix E1 to people a couple of times who needed some light, and always got a "Thanks!" and admiring looks, but never any comments, really.

Honestly, I've appreciated having my lights with me much more than anyone else has. They've saved me many a time around the house, where I don't go anywhere without my JetBeam after the sun goes down.

It comes in handy with a baby in the house, too. It's dark, he's trying to go to sleep but fussy; not sure if he needs a new diaper, and don't want to turn on the room light. I pull out the JetBeam and take a peek. :duck: NOPE! He's clean! :grin2:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
HAHAHAHA

Now that's a good story!!! :O)

I had to read it twice. At first I assumed you were the groom LOL

EricMack said:
I posted this elsewhere, but I think its funny enough to go here...

OK, some of you guys *might* identify with and get a kick out of this, it happened to me on a Satuday night while attending the wedding of one of my wife's friends. To start out, I had thought I was pretty smart when I ordered my wife an ORB Raw NS, with 3 pink trits, intending to give it to her for Valentine's Day. Sure, it was delivered way late, but that didn't seem to bother her, and she didn't make fun of me or anything....until at the wedding!

OK, to set the stage, we are at the reception. Seated at a table with about 12 people - 3 of us guys, the rest gals, and all of us married, and now on about the 2nd or third glass of wine. Out of nowhere, my wife whips out her keys with the ORB, and makes fun of me by saying "look what dorky gift my dear husband gave me for V-Day!" Well, this is not good
dizzy.gif
Thankfully, the blow is lessened by the replies of the wives of the other two, one of whom says "at least you got something, I got stiffed last year" and the wife of the third guy who says "hey, that light's pretty neat, Steve got me an alarm clock!" So, luckily I don't end up the dorkiest one, right? Yeah, the whole thing surprised me as my wife doesn't normally gig me in public like that.

Well.......Revenge is sweeeeet!!
laughing7.gif

15 minutes later all of us at the table are now near the dance floor, waiting for the bride and groom to do their thing so we can then dance. Its real dark. Horrors!! Everyone is watching, and the groom can't see to hook up her dress in the back with those little clips!! Panic is starting to set in, he's sweating, the bride is annoyed. Relax, Daddy Mack is here, and I whip out the ORB, flick it on, and light up her backside
blink7ue.gif
bootyshake.gif
so the groom can get her hooked up!! Major relief for the couple, and the bride turns around and gives me a big smooch to thank me for being so resourceful. I tell you guys, my wife and all her friends were right there watching, and she just wanted to die. All the girls are now saying to me things like "gee, that sure comes in handy" and stuff like that
woot.gif

The wife, of course, wanted to kill me. I just smiled
laughing7.gif
content knowing I had just enjoyed one of those rare moments in a marriage when I just completely owned my wife, and she knew it.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this, Thanks, Manzy! :laughing:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a train travelling through the underground tunnel, suddenly the lights in the carriage went out, total darkness at that time I was carrying a Longbow ECO. Pulled it out and fired it up, it was amazing there were comments like where did you score that from, Geee its bright, I want one. Must have converted at least a dozen or more people to carry lights.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a totally awesome story, Mack! It's definitely my favorite so far; it made me smile.

Although I must admit, I'm not entirely (okay, at all) clear about the deal with the hooks and the clips (on the dress). What was all that about?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny how many unenlightened get turned on to torches by the "right place at the right time" situations.

Do they not understand there is darkeness eveynight????? :tinfoil: LOL

TORCH_BOY said:
I was in a train travelling through the underground tunnel, suddenly the lights in the carriage went out, total darkness at that time I was carrying a Longbow ECO. Pulled it out and fired it up, it was amazing there were comments like where did you score that from, Geee its bright, I want one. Must have converted at least a dozen or more people to carry lights.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
My friends invited me geocaching (scavenger hunt using GPS) one time during the day, and i liked it but wanted to try night time with my flashlights. When we went, thye had brought their 2d everyready lights and i had packed my p1, e2e, and M6. First thing they see is the e2e. its bright, but they have seen it before. About 10 minutes later, i whip out the P1. i shine it in the trees and they laugh. I dont know why. I show them the light and they think its really neat.
About an hour later, we are in a neighborhood and looking down a long street. "Perfect," I think. I pull out the e2e, shine it down, and see nothing. P1 was being examined by a friend, so I raise up the m6 i have been holding and begin rotating the tail. "watch this guys..." i said.

"OH SH!T" was what 1st guy said
"uhhhhh" was what 2nd guy said
"hahahahha" was what 3rd guy said

the rest of the night we joked about the self defense application of strike bezels. I had fun :)

not2bright

Enlightened
Well I thought I would be the only one with a "Wedding Flashlight Story" but I see EricMack beat me to it...

My wife and I were attending the wedding of two of her co-workers (teacher and secretary). We hitched a ride to the wedding with two other couples with all six of us dressed in standard wedding attire (suits and dresses).

While getting dressed I thought, Do I really need to bring something other than the PT Eclipse2 on my key chain to a daytime wedding? No, probably not, but wait the reception will go well in to the night. Enter the Fenix L1P loaded up with a freshly charged Sanyo 2500 and riding in a nice and slim Inova X1 sheath for a discrete yet respectable light.

The six of us arrive at the church with the women all having to use "powder room" upon arrival. The very old church had a bathroom sign that pointed downstairs in what I would guess to be the basement. As we started down the steps everyone quickly realized it was dark, very dark, and no sign of a light switch. Everyone was like what the F?, no light what so ever and no sight of the bathrooms.

The leader of our group began to turn around mid-way down the spiral steps, believing that with out electricity down there the bathroom thing is hopeless. As he is trying to double back in this narrow stairway with five others behind him, *reverse-click*, and then there was light. This was followed up by some not so church appropriate comments from the group like, "Where the F is that light coming from?", "Who the hell carries a light to a wedding?", and "I can't F'ing believe you have a light on you, but I am glad you do!" After the sudden shock was over, I casually hand the Fenix over to the "leader" for us to follow.

[rant] It's funny how people are generally surprised when situations arise where a flashlight is needed and someone actually has one. That level of surprise seems to be directly proportional to how formal the event is. The wedding situation seemed to be a 2X multiplier of this surprise factor. [/rant]

We discover that the power must be shut off as the none of the light switches functioned anywhere downstairs. The Fenix gets alternated between the women's and men's rooms with the L1P doing it's nifty tail stand on the vanity top. As our group of six is finishing up, others are finding their way to the light and begin forming a line. As the last of our group is washing his hands someone enters the bathroom and begins using the facility by the ceiling reflected light. As the last of the party is finishing up washing he asks me "What do you want me to do with the light?" Knowing that even though we are in a church, there is little chance that my L1P would ever get back to me if left down there. I said "grab it when you walk out." :naughty:

He does and some poor unenlightened fellow was left urinating in a stall in complete darkness yelling "Hey, hey, heyyyyyyyyy!".

Being prepared or knowing someone who is prepared can go a long way toward pee-free shoes. :grin2:

BTW, a light that is water proof is necessary in these situations as my L1P got a good washing of it's own after being used by the bathroom crowd. And yes everyone was loving the output to size ratio of the L1P.

Last edited:

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
Although I must admit, I'm not entirely (okay, at all) clear about the deal with the hooks and the clips (on the dress). What was all that about?

Tiger, you ever seen a bride come down the aisle, and her dress trails behind her for like 10 feet? Well, I guess on some dresses this can be rolled up and then clipped/hooked right onto the brides back, so she can walk around, dance, etc.

Our fairer CPFr's would refer to this as the dress' train, but the guys in my wedding party referred to it as the noose...:laughing:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple, one I know I've related already, the other I think I have.

The first was while I was having some dental work done and all the lights go out. The dentist is swearing as he can't see a darned thing anymore. I tell the nurse to grab the light from my side pocket. She does and the dentist was able to continue his work. Everyone was happy.

The second was when I took a good friend to the emergency room and just when the doctor was stitching up her wound, the lights went out. Out comes the EDC, all is well.

I really don't understand the whole unprepared concept. When my preparedness saves someone's *** everyone's happy, but lots of people insult me because I carry a light, a knife, a lighter(I don't smoke), a multi-tool, etc. It really seems like people are proud that they're so helpless.

Idiots.

:buddies:

P.S. Sorry for the rant and thread hijack.