INOVA LED's whats the difference?

P239

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy either a T3, XO3, or a T4. The difference between the T3 and XO3 is very small, and as far as I can tell is in the tailcap and that the T3 has 3 more lumens than the XO3.....82 vs. 85. Both are about the same price. So why would INOVA make two LED's almost the same? As far as the T4 goes, it is rechargable and has a 100 lumen output from a 4 watt led. It is also $45 to $50 higher than the other two. Is 17 or 15 lumens worth the extra money? New to this and just searching for answers!!:huh2:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. This question comes up every once in a while.

I'm of the opinion that the LED choice and the circuit in the X03 and the T3 is the same. Just different tailcaps and different bodies and finishes. Any difference in output is due to the luxeon lottery. As to why they claim different outputs, I have no idea... Neither of them put out 72 pr 75 lumens. The X series is older than the T series so maybe whoever they had doing their advertising/marketing/package design for the X series was slightly more honest than whoever did the T series.

For the T4... Again 100 lumens is quite a bit optimistic. I don't think if you compared a T3 on one day to a T4 on another day, you'd be able to honestly tell any difference. The reason to get the T4 is the rechargeable capability so for me, it comes down to that... if you want a rechargeable side clickie, get the T4. If you don't need the rechargeable, go for the X03 or T3 and between the two of those, go with whichever tailcap you prefer. I've owned them all and would encourage you not to spend two seconds debating the differences between their outputs.

Ikonomi

Enlightened
According to Quickbeam's analyses, the XO3, T3, and T4 all have approximately the same output of around 40 lumens. I guess Inova uses the theoretical output of the LED driven at maximum current to get their lumen values, but I don't know. There's no possible way the T4 would put out 100 lumens either way.

The three lights also have about the same 2.5 hour regulated runtime. The T4 does have the advantage of being rechargeable, and I think able to use AW/Pila cells in place of the Inova cell.

They are all nice lights, no doubt, but Inova's claims are a bit overblown.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cratz has it on the money. The T3 and XO3 are the same except for the clickie on the T series. They are good lights if the Inova beam is what you are looking for.