L2P 2AAA Mod (pics)

Illuminated

Enlightened
Hi folks!

I thought some of you might find this interesting…

l2p2aaabezel6fz.jpg

Thanks to ImageShack for the image hosting.

I had a hard time deciding whether to call this an L2P 2AAA mod, or a River Rock 2AAA w/R-binned Lux mod. Well, you get the idea…

I've always thought that a 2AAA version of the L2P would be sweet for those times when I'd prefer the smaller form factor over the longer runtime, and the ability to use NiMH AAAs will keep the operating costs way down as with AAs.

So…for the $10 investment - I get a nice looking 2AAA form factor, with a momentary + twisty tactical switch, plus the reflector, boost circuit and LED left over to play with some other time. Not a bad deal at all!

After taking a few preliminary measurements with the caliper, I hustled out to the lathe and started cutting. This turned out to be surprisingly easy, although I was in too much of a hurry and ended up cutting a wee bit too much from the front of the adapter. This was easily fixed by making a spacer ring from a single piece of 22ga solid copper wire. The anodizing also had to be removed from the threads between the body and bezel using old-fashioned oven cleaner and Q-tips.

This is the best part - now I can choose which body to use with the L2P head and easily swap them around. I missed out on the custom CR2 bodies offered recently, but I hope to come up with a similar CR123 body soon. I think the L2P head is an outstanding unit which lends itself nicely to a few different battery/body configurations.

Later –
John

Last edited:

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CR123 body will produce much interest indeed, including by me. PM me when/if you have one and if you're willing to sell them.

Latest posts