How my Inova T3 saved my @ss last night...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was out walking late at night in the park near my residence. It was past midnite and all the good citizens were tucked up in bed asleep this cool summer night.

Visibility was pretty good as the overcast sky acted somewhat like a mirror and reflected whatever ambient light present in the earth's atmosphere.

As I walked past this line of trees. I heard a faint sound of wings flapping above my head, the type that was slow and powerful, indicating that it was likely a large body flying overhead.

Not wanting to activate my torch unless absolutely necessary I could see that it was a large bat or flying fox, approximately 2-3 feet in wing span.

Thinking that these animals were fruit and bug eaters, I didn't assess it as a threat, but it began to fly lower and closer, like it was scoping me out, sniffing my scent as if I was fresh meat...

I always carry my torch in the ready position whenever I'm out walking in the dark, because experience has taught me that in such situations, when turd starts hitting the fan, it happens when you least expect, and it happens at the blink of an eye, which might be too late then.

The flapping got louder and closer and just at that decisive moment that I whipped out my CRKT M16-14SF and the T3, the hungry bat made a dive for me...

85 lumens of blinding white light tore into the eyes of the creature, it immediately pulled a hard left, probably only 3-4 feet away from me. Even in that fraction of a second, I remember seeing those little nasty fangs and the 2 bright red eyes bouncing off the white light.

The creature recovered and but still circled above, all this time I followed the it with the beam of the T3, just as a reminder that whatever defensive action I had taken wasn't an accident, and I was ready for Round 2.

The creature continued to circle about 20-30 feet above, but I kept the beam of the T3 focused on my target, like it was an air raid over London in WW-II.

Realising that I had the upper hand and it could smell no scent of panic in the air, the creature decided that this midnite snack wasn't worth the price tag and it flew into the cover of the tree tops.

Just as a precaution, I continued to search the top of the trees to ensure the threat was really gone. No sound, no sight of the enemy, ALL CLEAR.

As I slipped into bed that night, I could afford to joke about the encounter, thinking what if I had my UltraFire Xenon G120 200 lumen torch? That bat would have been toast :devil:

:thinking: BUT.... WHAT IF I HAD A LESSER TORCH?? :candle:

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, downunder in Melbourne, judging from the size, it was a flying fox, but if it was bat, it would have been the biggest one I'd ever seen...

InfidelCastro said:
questions..

What was the animal? Summer? Where do you live? Australia?

luigi

Enlightened
I don't want to frustrate your story but there is a 0 chance you saved your @ss, you probably just scared a poor bat.
People attract mosquitoes and other insects because of their body heat so bats tend to erratically dive at humans looking for the insects, it may seem the bat is targetting you but is not.
I would have probably done the same you did but you weren't at risk :)

Luigi

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow! Interesting flying "bat/fox" story here. I don't know about these creatures, but am wondering if maybe it "picked-up" a fruitty scent in the form of cologne or something? Don't know. . .

—Enjoy! :wave:

Anarchocap

Enlightened
luigi said:
I don't want to frustrate your story but there is a 0 chance you saved your @ss, you probably just scared a poor bat.
People attract mosquitoes and other insects because of their body heat so bats tend to erratically dive at humans looking for the insects, it may seem the bat is targetting you but is not.

Luigi

People have been bitten by bats. You'd need a rabies shot after it. Sure, not usually a problem, but it would be a painful experience regardless.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
0 chance that I saved my ***? Then what did? Your theory?

My military background and years out in the Australian bush, never had an encounter like that unless I was in a dark cave.

Bats and flying foxes don't attack humans. In fact they are scared of humans.

I know flying foxes and bats eat fruit and insects, and they usually hunt or feed in packs, but somehow there was something really sinister about that lone ranger... the way it flew around me. The suburb which I live in is not known to have bats or flying foxes due to modernisation (I live close to the city). So to have that guy flying around in the first place is unusual.

There were no bugs around me. Not anything large enough to attract a bat or flying fox of that size anyway. I would have heard them if there were. I never use perfume or commercially available insect repellent because of the scent.

BUT I did brush my teeth before that, so would it have been my toothpaste??:shrug:

I will be walking again tonite, if it happens the second time, it would seem that the bat is out targetting more than just fruits and bugs mate...

luigi said:

Luigi

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nah...didn't have a cape...

I was hoping though, maybe Buffy(Sarah Michelle Gellar) would appear and beat the crap out of 'em...:naughty:

Then I'd invite her home for beer...:devil:

Lunal_Tic said:
Maybe Dracula out for a snack. :D

-LT

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a 6D & 6C MAG... but why would anyone wanna carry a modified baseball bat when out for stroll in the park? :dedhorse:

I reckon a can of bugspray and my trusty Zippo would have "enlightened" the situation:lolsign:

RoyJ said:
If you were carrying a 6D mag then you could've took a good swing at it too if it got too close :laughing:

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
Luigi, Bats/FF are not robots, I hate when people say "that animal wouldn't do that, that is not the normal." Yes animals usually follow patterns and habits. However there is always the case(s) where things do happen as they usually do.

Humans are animals too, and we certainly do not all act the same. If you ever get the opportunity to go the Galapagos Islands do not turn it down. You will never see animals behave the way they do there anywhere else in the world. Its surreal walking up to animals and they not move or get scared that you are there. Really reminds you how much humans have changed the planet...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically, bats aren't blind... they just have limited vision and are extremely sensitive to light

They use their extremely acute sense of sonar to navigate and hunt prey. Thats why they let off high pitch squeaks...

Warhead said:
My very first thought.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be going for Round 2 again tonite, wonder if Batman is gonna show up... this time it'll be my UltraFire G120 with fresh cells :scowl: .

Since Bats use their huge ears and sonar like we use our eyes for vision, maybe a 130db air-horn would have the same effect as a 500lumen Surefire M6 in our eyes:naughty: ???