Which 200+ Lumen Flashlight

Mikul

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire 6Z with P61 head. It's bright. It's obnoxiously bright. It is, of course, not enough. I knew you guys would understand. So, if I'm going to go bright, I want something close to double the P61: at least 200 lumens and it should have a long throw.

The only restrictions I have on the light are that it should be 3 3V Lithiums or less, and no longer than a 3 cell.

My first thought is the Surefire M3 Combatlight. My second thought is that it's $250. I'll spend that, but I'd rather not.

How about the Streamlight Stinger HP XT?

What else?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll probably be disappointed with it unless you get the Fivemega Stinger Pila adapter for it.

Though, the batteries are going to be a little expensive (you should use genuine Pilas for this one), I'd suggest this one:https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/109624.

It looks like there are 2 pewters left. You won't be disappointed one bit. It'll blow the M3 and the Stinger HP away, completely. The M3 and the Stinger HP, combined, won't even come close! I

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
to cut back on cost-

buy a 3 cell digilight body from blackrifles: $25
buy a tailcap-clicky from blackrifles: $15
buy the 12V turbo head direct from digilight: $37
buy 3(or 6) RCR123 cells, (the digilight lamp should work with eithor protected or unprotected)
buy a charger

$77+batteris/charger+shipping... can probably have it for a hair over $100,
it's rated at 227 lumens, and it's been said to be "in the same ballpark" as the M3.

here's the catch: it's more of an experiment than a garanteed thing. Some people have had success with this setup, others have flashed lamps and or had batteries go into protection mode: the factor that solves these problems seems to be making sure that the lamp is a TRUE DRB series lamp direct from digi, and not a G120 from G&P.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Surefire 9P with a P91 lamp assembly will go over 200 lumens. Way less expensive than the M3. Surefire quality and will run on Pilas although with my current lamp I have to double click but that isnt an issue for me. Only problem is the runtime which is short. But with Pilas, depending on the application that isnt too much on an issue. While the TL-3 is brighter than a stock 9P, I dont think it comes up to the 200 lumens of the P91 HOLA in the 9P

mdocod

Flashaholic
The 12V digilamp is significantly more efficiant than the P91, (runs brighter, whiter, and longer)... The turbohead option is also much cheaper that route... (you mentioned you wanted throw, 26mm reflectors don't throw much.)...

CLHC

Flashaholic
If the SureFire, then the SF.9P as suggested above is one way to go. Then as an additional option for throw, you can try the SRTH available at Lagger-Pro.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold on to your $$$ for a little while. The protected Li-ion C's are just about to come out. When that happens, you can pump 700+ lumens out the front of a Mag 2C (with a WA1111 bulb) and blow away all the Surfires, including the M6.
laserfry.gif

mdocod

Flashaholic
What about the new Wolf Eyes lights. The 3 cell ones with the new bulb are advertised at 220 lumens.

The jury is still out on those lamps-

inicial indications suggest that Wolf may have just changed their rating structure to bulb lumens rather than torch lumens for 2006... So the old ratings would still apply and it would not be a 200+ lumen lamp. (we'll have to wait and see what happens as people buy and compare them to other lamps)

Hold on to your $$$ for a little while. The protected Li-ion C's are just about to come out...

/agree totally if he would be willing to step up to a larger form factor.

kstump98

Newly Enlightened
Edit: Just noticed the restrictions needed. Sorry

How about a TigerLight. It is rechargeable, nice run time with new battery pack, very bright Gen 4 module. If you want even brighter, you can upgrade to the new 375 lumen module. You will be able to get the new TigerLight Racing version (same as original, just has my small signature below the button) with the new battery and Gen 4 module for $150 bucks, and upgrade to the 375 lumen module for just a little more. It should be up on their website in the next day or so.

Kris Stump
TigerLight Racing
www.KrisStump.com
www.TigerLight.net

rikvee

Enlightened
Mikul said:
- Surefire 6Z
- at least 200 lumens
- no longer than a 3 cell.
The absolute cheapest and most impressive improvement:

- a 123 extender
- a 12V G&P globe
- 3 x R123's and a charger (*note: only charge to 4V, not 4.2V)

The 9v G&P globe is sorta in between the Surefire P90 and P91, but the 12V one beats them all, and it's whiter than the Surefire 225 Lumens M3 HOLA (MN11).

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
The jury is still out on those lamps-initial indications suggest that Wolf may have just changed their rating structure to bulb lumens rather than torch lumens for 2006... So the old ratings would still apply and it would not be a 200+ lumen lamp. (we'll have to wait and see what happens as people buy and compare them to other lamps)
Wolf Eyes' site now lists the new 9V D36 as 160 lumens, which is credible. The 36mm reflector does a good job of throwing its pure-white beam. I have the D36 and 9D light and I plan to post beam shots on March 12, head-to-head with a Digilight 9V miniturbo.

tron3

Banned
JimH said:
Hold on to your $$$ for a little while. The protected Li-ion C's are just about to come out. ...

Whoa! Lithium C cells? 1.5v or 3.0v? What else can you tell us? <drool>

Mikul

Newly Enlightened
There are some great suggestions here. It seems that I can do just as well if no better than the M3 for a LOT less money. Assembling my own flashlight sounds like a fun task, so I'm going to consider that seriously. That could be a lot of fun.

700 lumens?!!!!! I'm drooling.

What is the big deal with the Pila rechargable cells?

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mikul said:
What is the big deal with the Pila rechargable cells?
As far as I know, they are still considered the premier battery in terms of performance, protection, and price. I have Pilas working fine in some lights that generic protected cells won't even start up.

Generics are a lot less expensive and work in a lot of applications, but not the range of applications that Pila's will work in. 2 protected generics won't run my Mag11, but 2 Pilas will.