shortening Junior Lux, running on 1AA?

aedavis

Newly Enlightened
I have a SL Junior Luxeon that I've carried for two years that I retired in favor of a Fenix L1P. The Junior is beat up but still works fine. I'm considering cutting it down to a 1AA length (re-tapping the barrel for the tailcap) but I don't have any idea how the LED is going to run with just 1AA battery. I'm sure someone here can tell me what to expect with this but I couldn't find any information searching.

I know I can rig up something to run the LED with one battery and see how it works, but I wanted to see if anyone had already tried this first.

Thanks!

Allan

changsn

Newly Enlightened
I would doubt that this would work unless you switch to a 14500 LiIon. This way you would have enough voltage to drive the LED.

Sam

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
It might actually work, depending on the type of circuit it uses. You could try putting one battery in, and then stuffing the rest with aluminum foil as a dummy battery. If it lights up to your satisfaction, then go for it!

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have the OLD Jr with 1 hr advertised runtime, it will NOT work with a 1.5V cell. I'll check if the new one works this afternoon.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's the old style then I doubt it will work, because mine wont turn on when voltage gets low. That's good because I use NiMH and it doesn't over discharge them.

The new style might, it draws less power.... You could always try to mod a new circuit in there though, like a MM WO+ would be the circuit to use with 1 AA. Along with a low VF luxeon.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could use the 3v lithium AAs that come out of non energizer CRv3 battery packs. I have a few from duracell batteries I go on clearance I kept for such an idea later.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tested a newer version Jr. I will run on one battery but not too brightly. Here's what I got (eyeball estimate):

New Battery Station lithium.....5 lumens

Alkaline at 1.5 volts...............3 lumens

Alkaline at 1.25 volts.............1 lumen

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL Nikon. My impressions are very different from yours. Yes (as is obvious by now,) the New Jr works with one cell. I think that the outupt is rather good for a 1AA light. It puts out close to (if not more than,)twice the light of my Nichia CS moded Gerber Ultra Infinity which gives close to 5 lumens.