power out!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Bad storm heading this way. Power died 45 min ago. Should be dark soon.

Will stay online as long as UPS battery holds out.

iamerror

Enlightened
It is twisted, but a lot of people here seem to like power outages and are probably thinking: "Lucky! Why can't I ever have one?"

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck, and give us a report on how well your lights and plans worked out for you.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
iamerror said:
It is twisted, but a lot of people here seem to like power outages and are probably thinking: "Lucky! Why can't I ever have one?"

That was my first thought. :D My power hasn't gone out in at least 8 years. :mecry: I've got enough flashlights, heaters, and generators to not even notice for weeks...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! While childhood fantasies and make-believe are one thing, real events such as a power outage can trigger inconvenience at massive level at a minimum and potentially loss of life at the other extreme from crime, traffic accidents, and life support equipment not operating.

If you want to play with flashlights, just shut the lights off and play, but wishing for power outages and natural disasters are not healthy thoughts.

iamerror said:
It is twisted,

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
real events such as a power outage can trigger inconvenience at massive level at a minimum and potentially loss of life at the other extreme from crime, traffic accidents, and life support equipment not operating.

Come on now, don't be silly. If a power outage causes your death, you were going to die anyway. All life support equipment in 2006 has multiple power backups. If you're dumb enough to have a car accident just because a light wasn't working you shouldn't be driving. Power outages happen every day across the country, the only time bad things happen is when they are in conjunction with another disaster. (flood, hurricane, tornado, etc) It is a minor inconvenience at the worst.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may sound unfortunate, though some callous types may think it is some sort of Darwinism. As we all know, senior citizens and the disabled (I'm not talking about those in a hospital), especially those on fixed income, are all rich enough to have the latest medical equipment ... not! Those folks in more case than not, probably don't have any form of power backup and their only backup would be an oxygen tank (which can of course be exhausted.) As for as I know, traffic accidents during power outages are more likely to related to inattention and confusion, not necessarily related to an individual's IQ. The only difference between a dumb person and a smart person having an auto accident is that the smart (or supposedly "smart") person is more likely to be arrogant and argumentative.

Agreed there are power outages every day all over the country, most are momentary and whether or not you even use a flashlight is kind of a draw depending upon time of day and circumstances. But enough of that, I still think there is something wrong with people who wish for events that can endanger the safety of others.

BatteryCharger said:
Come on now, don't be silly. If a power outage causes your death, you were going to die anyway. All life support equipment in 2006 has multiple power backups. If you're dumb enough to have a car accident just because a light wasn't working you shouldn't be driving. Power outages happen every day across the country, the only time bad things happen is when they are in conjunction with another disaster. (flood, hurricane, tornado, etc) It is a minor inconvenience at the worst.

iamerror

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
I agree! While childhood fantasies and make-believe are one thing, real events such as a power outage can trigger inconvenience at massive level at a minimum and potentially loss of life at the other extreme from crime, traffic accidents, and life support equipment not operating.

If you want to play with flashlights, just shut the lights off and play, but wishing for power outages and natural disasters are not healthy thoughts.

I agree, power outages can be dangerous and inconvenient and are not something I would wish on anyone. I do not quite understand why someone would wish for a power outage, but some people here do.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
though some callous types may think it is some sort of Darwinism.

Very much so. If a simple power outage causes your death, then we are better off without you. Yes it's harsh, but sometimes the truth hurts. There are very, very, very few people in this country that require electricity to live, and most of those people have a backup. The few that don't are all more than welcome to find their nearest emergency room which has more than enough power at all times. Income level has nothing to do with it.

Fighting about this is just plain stupid. I have fun when the power goes out. Me hoping for a power outage is NOT going to make it happen. You really need to get a sense of humor. I think there's something wrong with people who have to take everything as a dead serious situation. If I was talking about blowing up a sub station so the power goes out you'd have a good point, but we all know that is not the case.

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
As a child, California with Mr Davis... Oh boy. We literally WERE using candlepower since the MiniM*ggots ran out of batterys and became dim and useless...

Now I'm ready for up to 100ish hours without power on flashlights. Usually power outages in my area are "controled" (Plant doing maintance, reactor changing rods, etc.) The traffic lights and other important things don't go off, your house power does (Albertsons, Ace, Costco have no problem however.)