Nuwai 2AA runtime?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I did read Doug's review and saw that runtime is arround 4 1/2 hrs. I'm asking you guys because the Costco 2AA luxeon flashlight which Doug reviewed had a runtime of arround 5 hrs and the one I've tested has a runtime of 84 mins. chevrofreak also has a graph somewhere in here for the Costco 2AA light with a runtime of arround 84 mins as well. I am aware that some manufacturers actually state a runtime which is lower than practice:)wow:) but I would like to know from experience, what the runtme really is.

Is the runtime of the Nuwai 2AA luxeon light really arround the 4 1/2 hr mark?

Thanks alot.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The costco lights had a very wide range of bin numbers for the LED's they used. The higher Vf LED's will put out less light and also will run longer. Mine had an H Vf and its being driven pretty hard so the power consumption is quite high.

The costco lights arent limited in the peak amount of current they can supply, so if your LED can eat 3 amps at 3.4 volts (estimated voltage of circuit) it will probably try to provide it, but if it can only eat 150mA at the same voltage, thats all it will get.

I put a red/orange LuxIII in one and the Vf was right around 3v, but the light was drawing something like 2 amps from the batteries, so the LED was eating very large amounts of power. Runtime was also very low for that reason.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the lights today! Will do a rumtime test later.

For those who care, the LED module in the Nuwai is exactly the same as the LED module for the New 3 1/2hr Streamlight Jr. The only difference is that in the Nuwai, the SMD capacitor has 106C S184X written on it while the SL Jr has 106C S33EA written on it.(Does anyone know what that means?) All other parts and the positions of those parts and the writing on the PCB are all the same.

The retaining ring (aluminum reflector thingy)holding the module in place, is exactly the same. The tailswitch of the Nuwai can screw into the tail end of the Jr problem free.

I see a trend here, do you?

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did one runtime test with a pair of Rayovac Maximum Plux alkaline cells. Exp 2011.

Runtime was an impressive 4hrs 16 mins to 50% brightness!

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
eebowler said:
The only difference is that in the Nuwai, the SMD capacitor has 106C S184X written on it while the SL Jr has 106C S33EA written on it.(Does anyone know what that means?)

106C probably means a 10uF capacitor rated for 16 volts. SMD markings aren't completely standardized, however, so it could mean anything. No idea on 'S184X' and 'S33EA.' Possibly manufacturer-specific codes. Any of the EEs (Paging Newbie/Jarhead....:)) care to chime in?