CountyComm BailOut Bag with goodies stolen :(

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went on a 4 day hiking trip in NC(Pisgah National Forest) this past weekend and came back to my truck with a broken passenger side window....

Among the missing:

cheapie radar/laser detector from wal-mart

black Countycomm bail out bag with Nintendo DS, Nuwai 2xAAA .5 watt light, Mag 2c w/ R/O luxI, CC short-wave radio, 4 lithium 123's, and CRKT P.E.C.K.....ALL inside :(

im mostly bummed about the 2 lights and the bag itself.

what sucks even more is just knowing the idiots that did it will probably just toss the lights and the bag..... a loss and a waste.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Ack, that stinks. I always worried about leaving my truck parked at a trailhead when I go backpacking.

File a report with whatever police agency has jurisdiction there.

Monolith

Enlightened
Did you check the trash cans in the area? Especially the ones behind/near the restrooms. You never know.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
That stinks! Monolith has a good point though. A lot of casual thieves dump whatever they don't want, and sometime everything they stole, fairly close to the scene of the crime. When I was in my early twenties a lifelong friend of mine went and stayed at another childhood friends apartment. It was a nice apartment complex but a little secluded. Somebody broke into the car we road in and stole a bunch of stuff that belonged to my friend (tapes, leather jacket, and a couple of other things). We called the police and the LEO that responded walked over to a tree that was about 5 feet away in some udnerbrush. He played his Mag around and there was all my friends stuff, where the thief had gone through it. The same thing happened to another woman I know they she didn't recover everything. It sounds like you had some sweet stuff there 4x4, so that may work against you.

I always try to leave nothing in my car when it's sitting at trailhead. I have even hidden stuff I didn't want to take with me in the woods, but never for four days, and only in areas I was really familiar with. I used to leave my car unlocked in the Red River Gorge so that people could rifle through it without breaking a window. If there were car thieves about they wouldn't hesitate to smash a window anyway.

I don't know what kind of truck you have, but maybe you could get some sort of heavy duty truck box, or a gun locker that goes behind the seat.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Smash & grabs are pretty popular at trailheads here in Alaska (bad press, eh?!)...during the summer months - we have folks in motor homes who stay & watch the parking areas (just like campgound hosts).

My friend's wife recently parked her car at one, took the kids & a friend on a cross-country hike - came back: NO CAR - they took the whole ride!

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
On a brighter note, I did a 5 day backpacking trip in the Big Falls area, not too far from where you were.

35 15.953' N, 83 56.254' W is where the trailhead is. A couple of miles up the trail is a nice waterfall.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you're not alone--though I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

I have had my personal car smashed into at my apartment, but nothing was taken.

About a year later, I had my unmarked police car smashed into at my apartment. I had an Atari Lynx game player, a 4 inch TV and my body armor stolen. I got a written reprimand for the body armor.

My parents had their vehicle broken into in front of my step-sister's house and a very nice GPS stolen.

What is crazy is how often our marked police vehicles are broken into when we are at work. One officer had a handgun (a Sig Sauer, I heard) stolen out of his ride while he was out chasing somebody. Another had her vehicle broken into while she was in the Circle K convienience store.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Aww man, that reeks. :scowl:

They were probably looking for cameras, credit cards and the like, not exotic flashlights. I know that doesn't ease the pain though.

May their batteries overheat and a'splode while in their back pocket. :devil: