Mr Ted Bear needs a little help...

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the beginning of the month, for my son's 4th grade science project, he (more like I) have been recording the phases of the moon. Basically what that means is that we have been taking pictures of the moon each night after dinner.

Well, tonight is a bit of a problem as the skys over Los Angeles are cloudy, and no chance of taking pictures. So can someone with a decent camera and telephoto lens please take a picture of the moon? If so, please email to [email protected]

moon.jpg

marcspar

Enlightened
Cloudy here in CT right now also, but I'll try in a few hours before I go to bed....

Marc

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im just a bit North of you at the LA Ventura county line and I can see it now, in the East, go out and take a picture, quick! I have no e-camera here yet..

...but right now this is the best moon pic I can find: :whoopin:

Last edited:

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mr Ted Bear needs a little help... problem solved

ralph

looks good.. just trying to show the progression of the shadow; the fine details really won't matter

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave it a try. There was about a 2 min break in the clouds, but by the time I got my camera and got set up, it was gone. Now it's overcast as far as the eye can see.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool.. I need an excuse to go moon hunting :)

I am very, very far away from you guys though - so the moon may look different here but I will give it a try anyway and see whether you can use it.

Just curious about what you used to get the shot - your EXIF says 140-400mm, is that a 70-200 with 2X teleconverter?

I'll be using a 350D with 70-300 IS USM, no tcon.

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
I have a couple good ones, that I took from a while ago, I did same thing. I took pictures of every stage, I even had a set tripod and camer position, it was cool. Unfortuantly my good camera, that I did it with isnt digital.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.. just checked sky conditions and it is still overcast, it has been the whole evening. Forecast says rain - I doubt it will rain but whatever's overhead is not clearing up. Sorry about that, I don't think I can get any shots because I can't even see where the moon is.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin L

You are correct in your assumptions from the exif file. Canon 70-200 with 2x teleconverter. Oddly, my Canon 10d is sharper than new Rebel XT

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://aspire.cosmic-ray.org/labs/moon/lunar_phases_main.html

....scroll down to activity 3 :

This part puts everything in action and lets you observe moon moving around the earth in it's orbit.

* You can click on the moon and drag it with the mouse.
* Click the "Start Simulation" button and the moon will move in it's orbit and the earth will spin on it's axis. (The timing of the simulation is scaled accuratly, The earth makes a complete rotation 29.5 times in the time it takes the moon to go through a complete cycle).
* You can also click on the number buttons to jump to a certain day in the moon's phase cycle.
* Or click on the phase buttons 'First Quarter', 'New Moon', etc.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedThe Led

That's a good one. One of the children's museums has a physical display that shows the entire solar system, and I even have photos of the kids looking at the display. Sadly, can't for the life of me remember which childrens museum it was; could have even been Griffith Park Observatory.

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
I am alergic to the moon.

If I go out when there is a full moon, hair would start to grow all over my body.

dcarch8 :devil:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK.....nailed one! I really like this pic myself too :) it's one of those magic few keepers due to the amount of detail I got on the moon's surface. I notice the moon is oriented in a slightly different direction, perhaps because I am halfway round the world.

aco.jpg

Although times like these I wish I had a 500mm focal length lens... :D

Latest posts