3D Streamlight Updates?

tstetz

Newly Enlightened
I have an old 3 D cell Streamlight that I got back in Scouts probably about 20 years ago now. Outside is kinda worn now but it still works fine but it seems rather dim compared to all my shiny new tactical lights.

Is there anything I can do to update it a bit? I know there are a bunch of Mag conversions, drop in LED's etc out there but I wasn't sure if any of that would work with a Streamlight body and lamp assembly.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
tstetz said:
I have an old 3 D cell Streamlight that I got back in Scouts probably about 20 years ago now. Outside is kinda worn now but it still works fine but it seems rather dim compared to all my shiny new tactical lights.

Is there anything I can do to update it a bit? I know there are a bunch of Mag conversions, drop in LED's etc out there but I wasn't sure if any of that would work with a Streamlight body and lamp assembly.

You have a SL-3DX which has a bulb not a LA like the newer SL models. So you can do any coversion in that light that you can do in a 3D mag whether it be incan. or LED.
PS I used to have one too!
Here is a pic: http://arizonagunrunners.com/Products/streamlightflashlights/nonrechargeableflashlights/kryptonflashlight/body_kryptonflashlight.html
They stopped making these 20 years ago so i'm surprised this web page even exists.

Last edited:

tstetz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks John! That's what I was hoping to hear but I wasn't sure as I haven't seen much info on working with the Streamlights. Now that I hear they stopped making them that long ago I guess that explains it!

Gotta read up on Mag conversions now...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Sounds like a 3D version of my 5D Excalibre Halogen.

It uses PR based bulbs, and I have it running an 1111 on 6C NimH. It has a thin metal reflector and a plastic lense.... short runs only!

You should be able to sleeve the 3D for 4C, and if you use NimH C it should have decent semi-regulated runtime!

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the serial number? It could either be a Kel-Lite II, an SL-3DX, or an Excalibre.

The basic design is very similar to an SL-20X, but without the charging board and with a metal bulb tower instead of the bare wires for a potted lamp. Probably would work with with a reasonably powerful bulb, as long as you don't melt the lens or the plastic insert in the bulb tower.

However, there's a big problem with modding these. Don't do _anything_ that could damage the light at all. Streamlight stopped supporting these years ago (so much for a lifetime warranty) and will only give you a few dollars off a cheap imported Twintask if your D-cell light breaks. If you melt something you're sunk unless you find an old servicing dealer with a parts stash. I'd personally go pretty tame in the modding department for that reason.

Maybe try a Luxeon PR dropin? EverLED, Diamond, Mag, etc. You'd have pretty good heat dissapation with the metal bulb tower that's coupled to the light's body. No danger there.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tstetz's is probably a Kel-Lite II if it also has a CA locale on the tailcap. By the time they were calling them SL-3DX's I think the numbers had changed quite a bit. Same flashlight though.