Need a two stage for dog walking---Streamlight or Surfire ?

phosphor

Enlightened
I need something two stage to walk the dogs at night......I'd certainly like a Surefire A2, U2, or L2 but the "retirement" budget says look for a deal. I can get the two stage Streamlight 2L 3W Luxeon LED Task-Light for about $54 shipped free off Amazon.com.........I guess my question is to those who own/have experience with one.....would you buy it again ? Apparently the light is supposed to put out about 80 lumens on high and about 4 lumens on low with a nice overall balance between throw and spill. At 6" long it won't be be an EDC but should stow OK in a jacket pocket for those night walks. It weighs in at a hefty 5.9 oz....more than the comparable Surefire models I mentioned. Comments...suggestions. Should I blow the budget and go Surefire or will I get what I want from the Streamlight 2L 3W Luxeon LED Task-Light ?

-Regards

Last edited:

tracker870

Enlightened
On a budget, that Streamlight 2L 3W Luxeon LED Task-Light would be an excellent tool for your application.
Have you read the reviews for it?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a SL 3W 2L Tasklight, and consider it one of the best lights-for-the-$ I've ever bought. In fact, I bought one some time ago, gave it away (for a worthy cause), then bought one again (!), spurred on by my realization of what a nice light it had been AND when I read of the success Dukester and some other CPFers were having in using rechargeable cells in it.

I now am going on several mos.on my "2d" 3W 2L, and have been using nothing but AW's protected R123s, with great results. SL might not approve, but it's been a great "rechargeable solution" for me.

It's a well made light---not the smallest, but feels great in the hand. Also, the button switch is great for using with gloves during the cold months. Very bright on high (probably my farthest throwing 3W), and great spill to boot. Low is pretty low, and the spill isn't great, but it nevertheless comes in handy. I happen to use mine mostly for nightly dog walks, and it is excellent for that purpose.

Good luck.

quarkstar

Newly Enlightened
When I walk my dog I wear a LED headlamp, and carry a Surefire C-3 (with a 200 L lamp) or a G2 Nitrolon in my pocket. The headlamp gives me plenty of light for walking, and allows me to have one hand on the leash, and the other free to do whatever. If I need more light, the free hand can grab the Surefire. Works great. I dn't like two level lights for one reason...When I want lots of light I want lots of light and that means fresh batteries. Two stage lights drain batteries...even LED lights. By have the headlamp it allows one, far more powerful light to be available with fresh power when I need it.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
...I have had my Streamlight 2L Tasklight for 4 months. So far it is holding up very well. I find the two levels and the beam it puts out very useful for short walks around the neighborhood and in the woods behind my house. I was using the 3.7 volt protected cells from AW in it. They worked great but I was worried that they may have been too "hot" for long term longevity of the light. I recently got some of the protected 3.0 volt cells from e-electronics.com and they work well in the light. If you wanted to go with a smaller 2 stage light but with less output the Nuwai 301X-3 is an excellent light that also works well with the 3.0 volt rechargeable cells. If you wanted more light than the Streamlight 2L and a bigger heavier body and turbo bezel that would make an excellent close quarter defense weapon if you needed it you might want to consider the Microfire M3. This is a really nice solid light. I am using two of AWs protected 17500s in it with good performance in the short time I have had it. The drawback to this light for dog walking if you have a leash in hand and an excited dog pulling on the leash is that it is a two handed operation to rotate the bezel to turn the 120 lumen incandescent lamp on in addition to the six LEDs. The light is turned on with a tactical tail clicky and you can leave the bezel turned to the higher power incandescent setting but battery life might be an issue. A lower cost alternative to all these lights is the Nuwai 115X which also works well with the rechargeable 3.0 cells. It is two stage with as much output as the Streamlight 2L and it also has a side clicky switch like the Streamlight. The only drawback to this light is that it is not as sexy looking as the other three I have mentioned here. I have a Surefire A2 Aviator. It is a fantastic light but I do not use it so much because it does not use rechargeable cells.
jc

CLHC

Flashaholic
I was about to suggest the SureFire L2 LumaMax or the SureFire L4 with a two-stage switch from The Sandwich Shoppe, but since you've stated that word—"budget"—Then the Streamlight as the others and you have indicated.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!