Malkoff        
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Default Re: AN/VSS-1(V)2 Searchlight

Anyone have any ideas what to do about a burnt out ignitor??? tried searching for the part however i have not had any luck so far.

*Flashaholic*

CA, see my post #47 above and give Robert a call. How sure are you guys that the ignitor is the problem? The relay panel or convertor assembly seem equally capable culprits for your problems. Me, I'm just sweating bullets!

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

CarbonArc,

I talked to Robert at PBS yesterday. He will look into spare igniters. However, they are in the process of moving to a new facility at the moment so give them a call in a week or so.

Willem.

You guys are absolutely nuts! (I mean that as a compliment.)
    waiting for pics of those lit-up puppies!

I have my rig up and running. Beamshots tonight (weather permitting) ill get some pictures now of my rig.

Here are some pictures of the running rig. I still need to finish my turret for mounting.

http://community.webshots.com/user/carbonarc100
    Last edited by CarbonArc; 04-01-2006 at 01:15 PM.

*Flashaholic*

CarbonArc,

What did the problem turn out to be?

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Default Re: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Indeed! Let us know what the problem was. Your solution may also be mine, although having wired pin for pin more than likely toasted the igniter!
    Nice wiring job!

Willem.

*Flashaholic*

Hopefully, the weather wasn't permitting, or camera problems, or better things to do with the time!

Larry

As for the problem i really do not know what was wrong. I diassembled prettymuch the entire light and checked everything I noticed a small amount of corrosion on the top end of the bulb itself. I dont know if that was the problem or not. I know corrosion in a dc circuit is a very bad thing (any circuit) for that matter.

I have some beamshots however I fear that they are not very good quality due to my limited experience with night-time photography. Sorry I did not post them last night but it was late.
    Beamshots are here!! http://community.webshots.com/user/carbonarc100
    These pictures definitely do not do the light justice. Also note that the relative humidity last night was almost 0%

So I fired the light up and had it running for about half an hour. Absolutely no problems. I plan on testing it for longer periods in the days to come.

I live in a pretty rural (under trafficed) area. It was pretty funny when I was testing the light many cars slowed down and honked or stopped on the side of the road. One person actually stopped in and talked to us for a while (they were wondering what was going on).
    Last edited by CarbonArc; 04-02-2006 at 10:03 AM.

CarbonArc,

Congratulations! Did you try overdrive?

Cheers,

Willem.

Congratulations CarbonArc!!

How loud is that thing running? The heat exchanger in the VSS-3 is not exactly quiet, but it sort of adds to the fun of the light to hear it roar to life. I imagine the VSS-1 must be similar.

Charles
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

The fan is loud however not louder then the generator powering it

*Flashaholic*

I followed-up with ecycle re my genset this morning. Latest is ship week of the 20th. I have been buying more mount stuff, and have a pretty good mental picture of what it will take. I'm losing sleep (or having happy nightmares, over firing it off for the first time! ) Here's a 10 year old 360 of my testing range.

Larry

Popcorn Re: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Very nice little 10 shot stitch job on that pano of your test range...Certainly not in Costa Mesa tho...Looks like a great spot for some sunset shots.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

note to self...before bragging about any "bright" flashlight I have that would smoke a ____whatever____....remember that there are always people who play in a whole other league.

Thanks for the glimpse into the really big leagues.

ps. I think I saw your light in use the other day...it was noon and I looked up...and there it was! Your batteries died about 7:45 pm though.. oh well.

Tvodrd, if my VSS-3 ever qualifies as “carry on” luggage, I may just meet you there for a shootout!

Nice Pic.

Willem.

*Flashaholic*

That's my get-away shack out in the Mojave desert near Landers, CA. It's about 130 miles/2,5-3 hours from CM. Means dry lake is to the north and is ~2.5 miles. It's a legal OHV recreation area and you see some pretty big happenings on holiday weekends. Perfect for some serious flashlight testing! Willem, Please PM me if you come across another VSS-3 for sale!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Enlightened

wowie, man I'm in total awe of that puppy
    the beamshot pics I saw, at least the thumbnails, looked black. so er?
    ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade.

Aristo

The beamshots do not do this ligth justice. I am just a inexperienced night time photographer. If anyone has suggestions on how to setup a sony dsc f717 digital mavica for the night time photography let me know and i will get some more beamshots.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonArc
    Aristo

The beamshots do not do this ligth justice. I am just a inexperienced night time photographer. If anyone has suggestions on how to setup a sony dsc f717 digital mavica for the night time photography let me know and i will get some more beamshots.
    I've had the same prob with my sony at night and I am an experienced photographer. I am just gonna use my film cam and get a good capture to a cd for night shots. even a point and shoot with no flash does better at night then some digi cams. if you lived near me I'd come by and get some night shots with my film cam for ya.
    ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade.

Unenlightened

Hi All, I'm new to this web site, but very happy that I have found all these people with the same interest as me. Two days ago I received my an/vss-1 search light. I figured hooking this bad boy up would be pretty straight foward, not so. All information and advice would be helpfull. Holding my breath till I can fire her up

roo

you may find these pictures helpful

http://community.webshots.com/user/carbonarc100

All the information to successfully wire the light should be present in this thread. The wiring schematic show in post #39 is of vital importance. Don’t make the same mistake I did and wire pin for pin.

Unenlightened

Mpr Re: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Thanks Guys, After looking at CarbonArc's photo's and the schematic posted by ShortArc this wiring problem of mine all started to come together. As soon as I can locate a 150 watt generator I should be off and running. Many Thanks, Chinkaroo

Unenlightened

Proof Reading, thats what I need to do. I ment a 150 amp generator not 150 watt. God help me. Chinkaroo

Does anyone have any updates with progress?

CarbonArc:

Still waiting for Bob from Peakbeam to move to his new location. Once there he promised to send out a new igniter! Hopefully next week he will get his hands on one which I am anxiously awaiting. I may also (time permitting) bring back my VSS-3 from Maine (back to Mass) or visa versa and do a shootout between the two but those are all future plans once I get the VSS-1 up and running again.

Willem.
    Last edited by ShortArc; 04-15-2006 at 07:19 PM.

*Flashaholic*

Last I spoke with Ecycle, they said "the week of the 20th" to ship my genset. I just want mine up and running by Memorial Day weekend. I *think* I have found a VSS-3, and will know for sure by the end of the month. Willem, did yours come with 2 control boxes? I will also have to make-up the cables.

Larry

tvodrd:
    Yes, mine came with two control boxes but I only wired one because of cost.
    I have all the connector info (lotsalumens did most of the research here). Also wiring gauges should be matched to internal wiring of the VSS-3 (not connector wiring), this will save you a few gauges.
    If you find another VSS-3, let me know…I am in for a second.
    PS. You will be doing a lot of soldering.
    Willem.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ShortArc
    PS. You will be doing a lot of soldering.
    Willem.
    I love the smell of rosin in the morning! (I'll pass it on that you are also looking for another.)

Larry

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast