Wuben        
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Default Re: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

tvodrd, the second control box on the VSS-3 just has a redundant subset of the controls on the main box. I am guessing that the gunner or driver used the main panel, and the small remote box could be used by the commander. Given the price of some of these connectors and the number of pins on the small panel, I opted never to hook mine up.

Charles
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Flashaholic

Check out eBay item # 6621575136. It looks like a AN/VSS-3 but the seller doesn't show any pictures of it. He only shows pictures from the manual. It looks like it could be a good deal. At the time of this post, it has zero bids and ends in 2 days 20 hours. I already have one or I'd be interested. Enjoy!

IM BIDDING ON THIS ONE

Connectors for the VSS-3 will run around $300, that does not include hookup for the aux control box. You will also become very good at soldering (23 wires per plug).

Good luck and cheers.
    Last edited by ShortArc; 04-18-2006 at 01:46 PM.

carbonarc did you get it?

I watched it taken off auction,
    I was watching it too

*Flashaholic*

Bump time. I have a VSS-3A lined-up to pick up a week from tomorrow in San Louis Obispo- ~250 mile drive north. The tripod mount is sorta designed, awaiting the light to measure for the trunions and clearance for the mounting bolts inside. Bunch of machining to do this weekend! I followed up on the genset this week and ecycle says maybe next week- "issues" with the propane conversion.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

I am guessing you don't want to look into the beam of that thing.
    The Creator of the protected RCR123

Nope.

Good of you to ask first
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

has everyoine forgotten about their searchlight?

I hope Larry hasn't incinerated himself!
    --Scott

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit
    I hope Larry hasn't incinerated himself!
    Thanks, Milky! (I think?) The searchlight gods seem to be conspiring against me. (Or is it the safety gods?) Weekend before last, I drove 470 miles round trip to pick up an AN/VSS-3A 1+KW light like Lotsalumens has. It's much more manageable (75#) than the 200# VSS-1, and only pulls 58A max @ 28VDC. It can run on a couple marine deep-cycles which is a good option as the genset I ordered is now several weeks late and the bozo's won't commit to when they will ship. Uncle Sam rates both lights at 100,000,000 Cp, and warns not to lite them up with "friendlies" within over 300 yards!

For the last week+ I have been busting my a** on a tripod alt-azmuth mount for it. I'll post pics in the next couple days. I got some bad news from Allied Electronics yesterday stating my connectors to complete the thing won't arrive until Apr 9, which pooches my trying it out at the annual Memorial Day campout at my shack out in the Mojave. :cry:

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

When you get it working....I want to look into the beam and get a Spotlight tan

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by JonSidneyB
    When you get it working....I want to look into the beam and get a Spotlight tan
    Uh Jon, good friend, here's a pic of one mounted to the "proper" PSU.

Note the stencil on the turret:

Do you see a warning re not looking down the main armament when it it is being fired??? One could conclude the main 90mm gun is less dangerous than the searchlight!

Larry

well, I still bet it is nice an warm on a cold day.

im looking for a an/vss spotlight for my truck. ill need a couple of days to secure funding, but im not getting caught with my pants down again this year.

last year i fliped a coin and put the convoy lights on my m35 truck instead of the fording kit the night before katrina hit........ ill try and get the fording kit on soon. heck i have a fc470 zodiac to put in the back of the truck this year.

i spent a little time last year running resupply to bogalusa,la PD where they were witout power for 2 months. anyone know ROUGHLY how long the light will run off the 24volt batteries in the deuce while its running? the alternator is 60amps. (i know the alt cant power it, but how long can the batteries run it?)

from what i gathered in the thread, the kits are complete, correct?

Put in a better alternator. Heck, I have a 190A alternator in my Jeep. I got it from Mechman.com
    Jim - Have lights, lead, and steel will travel

The heck with runtime. I just want to hold the sun in my hands!! Brighter is Better!

I'm Planning on mounting my AN/VSS-3 on my Deuce too. I'm going to power the lamp off the nato style jumper/slave cable.

As a norm the VSS-1 or VSS-3 do not come with cable interconnects.
    This means buying connectors, suitable cable and soldering them together.
    The connector cost is about $70 on average (Amphenol), cable is not cheap either...
    Willem.

*Flashaholic*

Welcome to CPF, mcinfantry!! I got "driver's training" in one of those at Camp Lejune in 1968. You might want to read this thread. Somewhere in it is a link to a military vehicle website thread on the searchlights. One tank guy said they had to add water to the batteries after running one for any length of time, even with the engine at hi idle.

Larry

long. long time lurker. since the days of surefire and thier alternate design website.... gladius and such too.

i was a cop until march 30th this year (i resigned) and i carried the gladius since the day they were released.

im a light nut.

thanks for the welcome. i run optima red top batteries. i use to run yellow top batteries and run a www.readywelder.com off of them

*Flashaholic*

Ran across an offer for control boxes in case someone wants a spare:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130001368448
    I bought the replacement lamp posted way above from the guy. (I offered him $50 for a box.) (Edit: which he accepted. and I suspect the response for the 9 he has left will be less than overwhelming, so anybody else try offering $25. )

Larry
    Last edited by tvodrd; 07-03-2006 at 08:43 PM.

I know a number of people have put these together. If anyone is looking to sell theirs, I am looking for a functional an/vss-3a and the required power supply. I have a generator to run it - just looking for everything from the gennie out.

Anyone interested in selling? If so, please drop me a lineat ericsc at gmail (dot) com.

Thanks!

-Eric

*Flashaholic*

Edit: one of these days I will get to the eye doctor!

Larry
    Last edited by tvodrd; 07-25-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Blindness, and hurried reply.

Ericsc,

As you are looking for an AN/VSS-3a, you may also want to post this on the 1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92396

Good luck,

Willem.

You guys are a scary bunch'a geeks!

(I want one too!)

Ericsc,

Why have one when you can buy two at twice the price?
    I'll have an extra AN/VSS3A lamp assm, but it will need the large control box and cabling. It's only 75 lbs vs the big guy.
    Maybe in a month or two.

Phased Array

*Flashaholic*

Phased, You have a spare lamp for the beggers? From where? Wanna sell it? The one in mine has 62 hours on it according to the hour meter. I can recut your light's connector ring to sort of fit.

Larry

to sorta fit at 1kW....your pretty keen

*Flashaholic*

Prolly belongs in the -3A thread but the searchlight's connector mates with a "standard" Amphenol/mill circular connector insert. The threads on the searchlight's connector are a bastard thread. "Stock" Amphenol is 2"-18tpi, but the searchlight is ~2"-10tpi ACME. The ring isn't functionally-needed, but it is a nice touch to have it present. It's a mechanical issue, not electrical.

Larry

Well it is time for a big update. I have assembled my trailer/ turret assembly. Hopefully tonight i will have some good pics for everyone.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast