Maxtorch        
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Default Re: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

AHHH...no dramas then larry...i should have actaully read your post more thouroughly.

New Pictures in the searclight album, The trailer and turret need paint and some final mounting stuff done so please excuse the rough appearance.

http://community.webshots.com/user/carbonarc100
    Last edited by CarbonArc; 08-21-2006 at 10:30 PM.

i think everyone has forgotten about this thread more beamshots tonight

*Flashaholic*

CarbonArc,

I have the power relay and cable sockets wired and mounted to the rear of my light and all that remains is to solder 7 leads to the control box's connector. (hopefully this weekend.) When that's done I will improvise my genset's connections along with the 2 deep cycles and test fire it. If it lights, I will continue with its mount which will be similar to the one I did for the VSS-3A.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Larry,
    From that last pic... look's like you have everything under control?

Unenlightened

Hello All,

Very interesting group of interested zeon lite guys. I used these lites foe a few years as a Tanker on M60's. The EARLY M48's used the "PINK LITE" as I recall. We often trained at lighting targets out beyond 3000 mtrs! The Control Box was in the Gunners position on his ( R ) side. The override for the TC-Commander was uo in the top of the turret.

Here is my latest restoration: Enjoy-Dave
    MVPA 21178

PS: Saturn Surplus has the zeon lites as well as the Generator sets.

Unenlightened

Default New to the Board-Need help! AN/VSS 1

Hello Guys!
    I just joined the board after finding you yesterday. I think I'm lucky to have found you. I've already read the whole thread on the AN/VSS 1(v)2 and am quite impressed with your collective knowledge. My reason for posting is that I just bought one of these beasts. I'm not quite sure why, just did. I'll bet that thought will be understood by this group, from what I've gleaned so far.
    I know that I am being somewhat lazy, but I hope you can keep me from reinventing the wheel that many of you had to do to figure out the nuances of the wiring, power, etc.
    I will take any and all input that I can get! Some questions that come to mind are: Where to get connectors from control head to intermediary? box(I'll have to build), the main light cable connector socket? what is the best power relay? where to get a cost effective generator? where to get a 110v/24v converter, if that idea would work in any case? ideas for constructing a mount? why did you remove the existing three point mount? Is there a place on the web to read/download a(or several) manuals? or, where to buy manuals?
    Finally, I think that I have pieced together the following: The cable from the light has the main 24v power and several(6) control pins. The control box has only control pins. What is needed is aa intermediate box, which I will build that jouns the control pins from the control box to those of the light. Also, a heavy duty relay to switch the power source on/off to the heavy light cables. Am I even close to understanding the problem?
    Any help to point me toward the best of these components would be super appreciated. Thanks, Stan
    Last edited by StanB; 09-17-2006 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Beter title

Stan-

Read this post carefully from front to back and you will find much useful information i think many of your questions will be answered.
    "I have a disease.... My disease is flashlights."

Unenlightened

Hello all,

I've had an AN/VSS-1 for a few years and have tried off and on to get it running.

Initially I used a 3.3k military genset but that unit was beyond repair.
    Currently I use an RTS city bus for power, it has a 300 amp 28vdc alternator (it's a huge, gear driven trash can).

Needless to say I've reviewed this thread and all the attendant resources before posting this.

I've been over the wiring harness about a zillion times, most recently to match the wiring indicated in this forum. The light does not light. The fan runs when power is connected. The filters move into position as commanded. Overdrive kicks in for the requisite 15 seconds (but no light from the important parts). I can hear the ignitor cycling every 3 seconds or so. In other words, most of the machine seems operable.

On the converter board is a 10-amp breaker. This is consistently tripped any time we try to power the light up. This would seem to indicate some wiring issue or another.

Does anyone have any specific advice for identifying the fault?
    If the converter is blown, how can I test that?

While I've had the light for years and not had it fire yet it did arrive to me from Saturn Surplus in depot condition - absolutely immaculate. It's a bit dusty now from having been out in the Mojave a few times during various attempts to test fire it but the internals are immaculate.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Sodium,

Unfortunately it sounds like the igniter may be blown. This is what happened to me after incorrectly wiring the light. I am not saying that you did but someone else may have. If you lose power to Pin C while Pin A is powered the igniter will blow.

I contacted Bob at Peakbeam Systems for a spare. Unfortunately they are too busy at the moment to pull one from one of their parts light.

Good luck.

Unenlightened

Thanks for the reply.

while I'm quite certain the light has been wired incorrectly in a number of ways (the original printed copy of the service manual has 3rd generation photocopies of the wiring diagram and had an interrupted circuit trace that looked like to traces to ground. drat.)

That said, I would like to try to identify which components are toast. The breaker that's tripping is on the converter board. Presumably this is intended to save the component from wiring faults and I've also read here that this is a rebuildable component.

Are there any quick test procedures that can identify fault conditions in the converter and ignitor?

How do I rule out a bulb failure?

-Sodium

Unenlightened

Oh yeah, one other thing. With the blower running all the time I'm wondering about the thermal protection relays. Any experience with those are am I skipping a whole bunch of more obvious problems by trying to tackle those first?

-Sodium

Unenlightened

Buttrock Re: AN/VSS-1 Searchlight

Afer several months of hard consistant work, I got my an/vss1 to fire. Running down the proper parts and asking a lot of question of this fourm is what made it happen. The only problem I'm having now, is getting all the shutters to work. Tomarrow I'll try to work it out. My longest shot was about a mile and a half, which is nothing for this light. Good luck everybody on your project. Chinkaroo

Unenlightened

As far as the lens setup for the light goes I'll throw out the obvious: fuses. There's 3 fuses mounted on the upper lamp support near the drive motors - one for each lens (black out, IR, wide angle) motor.

How can I check the lamp to determine if it is a problem? It's an arc lamp so it checking resistance or continuity is out of the question. Is there anything more than a visual inspection?

Sodium,

I was told that the igniter was the most common component to blow in the light.

If the breaker of the converter assembly is tripping there may be more going on.

Because of the high amp draw (and voltages), I would not recommend metering anything in there unless you have test equipment to handle the loads. The bulb can be visually inspected. Sorry that I can not be of much more help. My game plan is to replace component by component or simply buy anther “parts” light and keep my fingers crossed.

Unenlightened

Thanks for the advice.

I am lucky enough to be working with a licensed Master Electrician on this project. This gives me some flexibility in component level troubleshooting that might otherwise freak me out. The RF ac voltage stuff is pretty much what you would expect to see in a Tesla Coil. I've got another buddy who is assembling one of those one workbench over. So I've even got the gear on hand to check if the ignitor is working. Weird but true. I'll get through this stuff somehow! I SWEAR this light will eventually fire.

Unfortunately the light doesn't really come with troubleshooting procedures and before I blunder around reinventing the wheel I figured I would pepper y'all with questions for a while and see what you learned about this thing and how to make it go.

I am really surprised that the blower is always running. I would like to run that problem down as I suspect it may be related to the fault on the converter (relay) board that's tripping that little 10amp breaker.

I'll be getting back to it on Thursday.

Sodium,
    Just tell your Master Electrician to keep one hand in his pocket.
    If you have good diagnostic equipment it should not be too hard to find the problem(s). I do recall that my blower was always running as well and my converter relay appears to be fine? Maybe someone else with a working VSS-1 light could comment on this. Regards.

There is a manual for this light with a trouble shoting section and schematics. Let me know if you do not have and I think I can forward.

Unenlightened

Please post a link to what you've got. Thanks.

Send me your email address and I'll sent you the manuals in Adobe as attachments. I shudder to think how long it would take to send 6MB on the forums.

Thanks

Unenlightened

sodium@captainsodium.com

Thanks again!

Unenlightened

Okey dokey.

We went over the components and diagrams in considerable detail. Handling that bulb is like handling a live grenade. It showed no real signs of wear and appeared to be intact so preliminarily I'm ruling that out as the failure.

The 50 amp breaker appears to be self-resetting and showed continuity so that's out. The 10 amp has been reset and according to the diagram would protect from a short-to-ground if a transistor failed in the relay module. So I would like to find a relay panel and try swapping that first.

Does anyone have a good, current source for parts? Does anyone have a spare relay module they would like to sell me?

Unenlightened

Tonyd,
    I have just aquired an AN/VSS 1(v)2, as noted above.I am completely new to this light. Please E-mail a copy of the manual, if you don't mind. I've looked, but cannot find one. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Stan
    stan@banton.com

I just signed-on to this forum. Nice resource! I own a VSS-1 light and have the original TM11-5855-250-12&P manual. It does not cover pin-outs for the cable assemblies, but does have have other "Interesting" info for the operator.
    I found a guy who has the GSS version and he email'd the cable pin-outs & diagrams if someone still needs them.
    This is a searchlight that can do some serious harm if not operated safely. I shall quote from page 3-3 : "CAUTION! Unless directed by the commanding officer, the overdrive mode is to be used only against the enemy....."
    Oh yeah!
    I have another light used recently for surveillance work featuring a 1200 Watt HMI, but that's another story.

Unenlightened

Manuals and wiring schematics are all linked to post #2 in this thread.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...39&postcount=2

Unenlightened

BTW, I'm still looking for a Relay Module and/or parts source.

Sodium what parts do you need? I have some lying around.
    "I have a disease.... My disease is flashlights."

I have someone that has a an/vss-1 in the crate, never opened. Could someone ball park me on what it is worth, high and low guesses. NO it is not for sale we are just trying to figure out what it is worth.

I think Saturn Surplus sells them for around $500. Some folks here have bought them from Peakbeam systems who apparently have a warehouse full of them. Can't remember the price they were offering them at, but a forum search might turn it up.

Charles
    "It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast