luxeon I bin codes

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Y0 and X0 tells about the tint

Have a look here

As you can see, Y0 is slightly more towards blue than X0, wich is IMO the whitest of all bins. Still the Y0 is not bad, give a slight HID blue tint.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RX0 are my favorite Lux I bin. The X0 bin is very small meaning that there is very little deviation between the extremes of colors that fall under the X0 range. I've seen Y0s and YAs (and V1s and X1x) that had a large range of colors.

Unless you are seeking that HID-ish tint the Y0s tend to give, I'd say X0 would be more likely to consistantly please more people.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple out of the Sam's Club Element lights (which I assume are all but unavailable to you in the UK) and I bought two from a nice guy in Singapore. I don't know of a consistant source for them.

I wonder if we could convince Photon Fanatic to order a series of RX0Hs or RW0Hs as folks seem to ask for them at least every other week.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen people sell lux's here and describe them with a code where the 3rd digit was voltage and the last digit was color, but the webpage linked above has the digits in a different order. Are there different ways of describing the same thing? If so how can a person tell when looking at the 4 digit code which system it is using?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh... hard to tell you... A lot of the older Luxes and the colored Luxes will usually have 3 character bins... I'm pretty sure all the R-bins Lux Is will have 4 character names or sometimes they'll have a 'W' after the 4 characters. For example, it might say RX0H or RX0HW.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
only place to be SURE about the bins I know is Wayne here from the forum:

http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/home.htm

(but seems here in Europe, maybe just in Austria, officials seem to have intensified making us problems with ordering abroad: every parcel from there the last year got inspceted, customs charged even when just in the $ 30,-- range) :(

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reason i`m asking about the bin codes

I just ordered an morph 1 for waion but he only has 2 RYOH left, he`s out of RXOH.

is there much to look at in reality between an RYOH and a RXOH.

if their is i will buy an RXOH emitter later.

thanks for the help.

floscherl

Newly Enlightened
I´m agree with tino_ale :)

I like XO and YO very much. The HID-like bluish tint is my favourite one :D

I don´t really like the WO tint which MANY CPF members prefer, it´s warm white if you compare it with XO.

What I know about Lux I stars/emitters:

RXOH are rare (One of my two Princeton EOS has one inside)
RYOH, even more rare ;) (I got one in my Dorcy 3D :devil: )
SXOx, very rare :D
SYOx, don´t dream, forget it!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the chart here: http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/bin_codes/index.htm

Like I said above, the X0 and the W0 ranges are very small compared to the YA, Y0, X1 and V1 so they tend to be more consistant. That is to say, if you had 10 lights with 10 X0 stars installed, there would likely be some variation between them, but the difference doesn't tend to be huge. On the other hand, with X1s and V1s in particular, they can range from just slightly off white to a VERY pronounced tint that I personally wouldn't be happy with and I'm not really a tint junkie... unless it's horrible, I'm usually pretty happy.

Of course, we will all have our personal preferences and that will often be limited to our experience with the various bins and how many emitters from each bin we've actually compared first hand. Some folks tend to like the V1 for outdoor use as it tends to give arguably better color rendition between greens and browns. The YA and Y0s tend to be towards the more blue and violet end of the 'white Luxeon' range so while they tend to have that cool HID-ish look to them, they aren't the best for outdoor use in my opinion.

But what it REALLY comes down to is, if this is the only higher end light you have, you'll more than likely be satisfied with either the X0 or the Y0. The X0s tend to be very close to white with a very slightly blue tint while the Y0s tend to have a pronounced white tint. This is not to say that if you shine a Y0 against a white wall, you'll think it's blue... these are realatively minor difference... but again... the Y0 range is large. I mean, it borders on the X0 range. You could have an X0 and a Y0 that are essentially the same tint or you could have a VERY white X0 and a VERY blue Y0 and you could easily tell the difference.

This is why it's called the Luxeon lottery!
nana.gif

pae77

Enlightened
This has been a very interesting thread for me. I took my PT EOS apart the other day and discovered it had an RYOW or (RYOJW not sure because the letters were kind of small and blurred) star emitter. I know this is supposed to be towards the blueish end of the spectrum, but to me it appears to be warm white and quite nice. I cannot detect any blue tint in the beam. Actually it is much nicer than my L1P which has a slight yellow/greenish tint. Anyway, in my EOS I guess I must have a YO that is closer to white end of the spectrum than the blue. No complaints about it, except for the narrowness of the beam which is not the emiiters fault.