What do you think of the E1L?

Everett

Newly Enlightened
sorry if this is a duplicate, but i can't seem to find anything with the search.

I'm starting to think seriously about buying the SureFire E1L. I'm partial to single-cell lights, and throw is my most important beam aspect. My ideal light would be something with the SL 4AA Lux's beam in a smaller package (and therefore less runtime), and the E1L seems like it comes closest to fitting that description (about 3/5ths the throw of the SL, according to flashlightreviews).

Obviously I'd like to consider very carefully before spending $100, so I'd like to know what you guys think of it. Thanks for the help

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the E1L due to the SF quality, the nice feel in hand, and the much-smaller-than-I-thought look of it in person compared to seeing it in pics. However, it has NO spill light. You get a square spot (that's how it's able to throw so far). I don't have a SL 4AA PP, but I believe it has good spill so if you want the same type of beam, the E1L won't provide it (all throw, no spill).
Take a look at the Amilite Neo T3. It's a very small single cell (smaller than E1L) with a twistie head switch that makes a huge amount of light and has good throw and spill. The Amilite is $84 shipped.
There's also custom/high-end routes such as McGizmo's Aleph-series. Pick a 1-cell body and the head of your choice. If you really want throw, the Aleph3 head is best, but that thing's big, especially relative to the rest of the light for a 1-cell. The Aleph1 is pretty good too. These are pricey tho...$180+.
Emilion's site has a 3.3W very small 1-cell light I've been looking into called the Freedom. I haven't found anyone that has it yet tho, so no idea how it performs, throw, or beam profile. It's well priced tho at $70.
Something I'm thinking about doing is taking a Pelican M1 and modifying the driver and LED. The price of the light is fairly low (the current 2310 M1s can be found on clearance at some places, and there's a new M1 coming out that I'm very anxious to see/get). It has great throw (likely due to the large head/reflector) for the amount of light it produces. With more light, it would throw even better. I think a T-bin Lux3 driven at 700mA spec would throw very well in the M1.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for those suggestions. I too would appreciate the build quality of a SF. I don't mind the lack of sidespill at all, so everything you've said has made me come closer to buying it. Also, a clickie tail switch is important to me, so some of your suggestions wouldn't be the best. I'm even more interested now that you say it's smaller than you'd expect. thanks

mykall

Enlightened
Everett,

I have both and if I have time I'll get you some beamshots. I have not tested both for LD throw but I can tell you that at about 4 meters the hotspot from the E1L is just as intense and about 6 times the size of the PPL. This in some respects makes up for the lack of sidespill which is there but not as generous as the PPL.

If you combine the E1L with an Mcgizmo 2 stage tailcap (getting hard to find) as I have you then have 2 stage output which takes this light to a new level. I've heard of runtimes of about 40hours with the 22ohm on primaries. I have the 30 ohm and with Li-ion the output is probably closer to the 22ohm on primaries due to it feeding on about 3.78V nominally as opposed to about 3. On high, regulation takes over and there is no difference in output. I got close to 9 hours on low with PROTECTED Li-ions which isn't bad. I suspect I'd get more than 40 on primaries but I haven't tested that.

MB

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everett said:
Thanks for those suggestions. I too would appreciate the build quality of a SF. I don't mind the lack of sidespill at all, so everything you've said has made me come closer to buying it. Also, a clickie tail switch is important to me, so some of your suggestions wouldn't be the best. I'm even more interested now that you say it's smaller than you'd expect. thanks

Sounds like the E1L is just for you. You might also consider Protected rechargable 123's as you'll get a bit more brightness out of the KL1 head.

I think the only real downfall of the new gen KL1 heads is that they have no spill. The solution is to carry another dimm light that spills with them. ArcAAA and E1L = classy, useful EDC.

Malpaso

Enlightened
I love mine. I found it surprisingly powerful for it's size. It carries well, as I use it for my office EDC, in a G2 holster with a spare battery in the bottom.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I like mine. The hotspot is a bit weird in that it's squarish, and there is a big ring in the periphery (where the spill would end normally would be if not using optics)...but I like it, the tailswitch is great for momentary release, and the thing just feels nice. Well regulated, and you can mix and match the KL1 head with 2 cell bodies, and opt for rechargeables if you like. With the F04 beamshaper attached, you can have it both ways, spill, and then throw on demand

Have no regrets at all.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not get the L1 instead, same KL1 head but with a two stage switch, same weight and only slightly longer.

But, I guess it is a wee bit more expensive.

Anyone know if it would take a KL4 head? They rock!!

warpdrive

Enlightened
Nyctophiliac said:
Why not get the L1 instead, same KL1 head but with a two stage switch, same weight and only slightly longer.

But, I guess it is a wee bit more expensive.

Anyone know if it would take a KL4 head? They rock!!

Nope, the L1 has a "dumb head", and is not the same as the KL1. The KL1 has the regulation/boost circuit in the head, that's why it can be used with 1 or 2 cells. If you plan to mix and match bodies, the E1L is more modular and flexible.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L has become my most used and dependable light, I have an L4 as well and for most circumstances choose the versitility of the E1l. I of course have a F04 beamshaper for times when diffusion is nice.. It replaced my Kl4 as my EDC. I am still captivated by the amount of light that it produces evertime I hit the button, it never gets old.
Shouldn't hesitate on this one, for the minimal money (in comparison of course) it is an awesome little light.
Oldgrandpajack has some combined with the diffuser right now on the B/S/T, I just said that a day ago.. :thinking:

sniper

Enlightened
I LIKE them. I like the E2L Outdoorsman better, but run time is not what I wish, and they are EXPEN$IVE! I guess that makes me less than a true Flashaholic, but If you can justify/afford it, more power to you!
There is no wrong way to enjoy a hobby!

Sierra_Bill

Newly Enlightened
thesurefire said:
I think the only real downfall of the new gen KL1 heads is that they have no spill. The solution is to carry another dimm light that spills with them. ArcAAA and E1L = classy, useful EDC.

See the post by Pydpiper above. A beamshaper or diffuser will make the beam spread out, so you don't need a second light. I usually have one on my KL1 but it can come off when needed.

Bill D.

warpdrive

Enlightened
Sierra_Bill said:
See the post by Pydpiper above. A beamshaper or diffuser will make the beam spread out, so you don't need a second light. I usually have one on my KL1 but it can come off when needed.

Bill D.

Agreed. The E1L or E2L with the F04 diffuser is a great combo. It's truly a flood (completely even beam) with the F04

http://members.aol.com/mlt113/myhomepage/flashlighte1l.html
...shows the beam of the KL1 compared to the KL1 + F04
I can't imagine a more versatile combo than that.

If you think you need regulation, you can always buy a second two cell body to accompany the E1L. Go 1 cell for EDC and then swap to two cells if you are going to be away camping for a weekend. It's so flexible.

jlolson

Newly Enlightened
A lurkers 1st post!! Yup, thats me!

I've been EDC the E1L for about 10 months. I'm an hospital systems inspector and find the little hotspot with little spill to be absolutely perfect for my needs. I often use the little light to point out code violations even in well lit rooms with great success. When comparing brightness to a three cell mag-lite everyone in my little family agrees that the SF is much brighter and eaiser to see what ever it is you are looking at.

Of course, people really freak out when they see just how dang small this thing is. Virtually everyone who has seen it is amazed. Two weeks ago a co-worker borrowed it to go down in a massive crawlspace. When he came back up his comment was "WOW, I've got to get this on my birthday wish list!!!" nuf said.

My negatives on this light are the lack of two light levels and the "large" head up carry orientation. If I'm away from home for a week I hesitate to use my precious battery power up even when I need it due to a lack of brightness control. Secondly, this thing escapes from my belt every couple of weeks. At $100 that is totaly unacceptable. Why didn't they make the big head carry down????

Other than those two "problems" I love this thing to death. When I replace it (soon with a Kroma or U2) and secondarily with a HDS the E1L will live in my wifes car.

Fringe

Enlightened
Could anyone point out a good place to get the Surefire beamshaper besides Surefire for $12?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
jlolson said:
A lurkers 1st post!! Yup, thats me!

Why didn't they make the big head carry down????

I bought the vitalgear FB1 body to fix this problem. It has a reversed clip attached to the end of the body, and is slightly smaller than the E1L body.

I love this light for EDC.

schiesz

jlolson

Newly Enlightened
schiesz,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I have already ordered the FB1 from Lighthound.

This has been a major problem for me. I can't figure out what SF was thinking putting the clip in the MIDDLE of the E1L???? It's like a pivot point.

Thanks,

joe

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
schiesz said:
I bought the vitalgear FB1 body to fix this problem. It has a reversed clip attached to the end of the body, and is slightly smaller than the E1L body.

I love this light for EDC.

schiesz

WORD. VDG