AA Luxeon With throw?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have a friend looking for a Bright LED with 'normal' batteries. He bought a 3 AA Gerber, Lux I, I don't remember the model. He'd like something shorter. I've ordered a Streamlight 4 AA Luxeon and a Pelican Recoil Stealthlight 2410. I just saw the Fenix at County Comm so I ordered 2 of these also, as I've wanted one for a while. What I won't do for a friend :D.
Any other suggestions? No 123 lights please.
TIA

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Not knowing what your friend will be using the light for, I have the following suggestions. I assume by "normal" batteries, you mean triple A or double A:

River Rock 2AA.......available at Target for about 20 bucks has a lot of "throw" for a 2AA light. Its very bright. But no side spill at all. Run time is about 2 hours.

Fenix L2P is a 2AA light. It's very bright, has a good spot and decent side spill. Available at eliteled.com for about 46 bucks plus shipping. Run time is about an hour and a half, or so they claim. I haven't had mine long enuff to run the batteries down yet.

MiniMag 2AAwith TLE-5 drop in LED is fairly bright. Has medium throw and good side spill. A good walking light. Lights up the living room in the dark. Has a claimed 6 hour run time. Again, I haven't used mine enuff to run a set of batteries dead, even tho I've had it since before Christmas and use it daily, at least for a few minutes.

Fenix L1P is a 1AA light. Almost as bright as the L2P. Same spot and side spill. Shorter run time on alkalines. Hour and a half on NiMh. Excellent light. Available at eliteled.com for about 43 bucks.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

But you prolly already know these lights, being the Flashaholic you are.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods Fenix L1P with 5 ohm two-stage (hi/lo) switch mod
Mine is very bright with decent throw as can be expected for a 1.7 watt drive to a Luxeon R bin (LED driven at 490mA) Runtime is over an hour on high and 4 to 6 hours on low... NiMH AA cell only!
If you want to run alkalines, the L1P was a good purchase.

CLHC

Flashaholic
You can try the drop-in pill/sammich from The Sandwich Shoppe for the Mini Maglite since it is Bright to be sure. Or there's the Vortex Vision L2A (2AA Alkaline) 1W LS LED that throws out roughly 35 Lumens for a claimed distance of 50 meters. :huh:

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wits' End said:

That looks like Emilions Smartfire AA light, I think he charges $16-17 (CPF price) for it. I have one and it is a decent light.
Throw is pretty good, decent reverse clickie, can use alkalines, NiMH or Lithium AAs, it uses a Luxeon clone and seems waterproof.

It isn't small, but seems sturdy and pretty well built.
I'd prefer a Streamlight luxeon, but these are cheaper and look tactical ;)

Sverre

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried the Dorcy metalgear 3AAA or Super 1 Watt 3AAA - not the brightest of the bunch but very low cost and well made.
Or the coast cutlery LED lenser series have a great 1AA luxeon flooder and several 3AAA 3 watt Luxeons, some of which definately outpower the Fenixes.
Or you could always wait a bit and see whether Mag come up to spec when they release the newbies later this year,2 AA and 3 AA etc.

Lots a fun finding your lights!!!

...I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed...

gigainternational

Newly Enlightened
Got one black/one stainless from ebay $16 each. Very good output but the size/weight is way too big for 2AA light.:thumbsdow Rough machinery! Now it's in somewhere of my car. Fenix L0P/L1P/L2P stock or Millermods(using Nimh) is the winner.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I'll second what Brighteyez said without hesitation. And for the price, you just cannot beat!

I can't think of anything that would surpass a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon, because it really isn't "one watt".

To make it fair for one watters, Streamlight overdrives a Luxeon 350mA emitter to some 500-600mA according to Streamlight.

Streamlight doesn't rate it as one watt. From electrcal stand point, the said flash light uses about 2.5 watts. (0.5 A at 5.0A, testing power supply)

5.0v is what you usually get with four NiMH in series. When the voltage lowers a bit, current continues to grow until regulation is lost and collapses.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I don't know, but whatever Luxeon LED Streamlight is using and how it's being driven :shrug:—All I know is that I like it!