Teased with a 10 second blackout.

tron3

Banned
Happened just minutes ago. Here I am enjoying an episide of The Simpsons, and without warning, the lights go out. Why is it always without warning? :thinking:

"Holy crap! It finally happened!" In a split second I have choose between the Fenix L0P in my pocket, or the LED Hummer light magnitized to my bed frame. I choose the Hummer for the fast access.

I nervously fumble for it and turn it on... I enjoy the victorious glow for about 3 seconds and the lights come back on. :ironic:
I wanted to grab my big lights and impress the neighborhood! :awman:

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
ACMarina said:
Why is it that the power always goes out when you're watching something on TV??

Probably because the average home has the tv on 6-8 hours a day.
I didn't even get to turn on my portable tv!

Heck, you are the first to answer, The Simpsons is only halfway through. :)

Mini-Moder

Enlightened
When ever the power goes out here. There are always like 2 or 3, 1 second blips first. Then it will go out for however long (usualy half hour to a hour), longest one recently was 3 hours. Longest ever was in 1998 durring an ice storm. Lost power for close to 36 hours (and thats just becuase I live close ot a big city, some places had 60 or 65 hours of no power), not exactly sure how long it was becuase the power came back in the middle of the night.

mdocod

Flashaholic
the possability of power outages, has become the main reason I refuse to enter a large building, even during the daytime, without a flashlight.

it's one of the many reasons we CPFers EDC something.

like you- I practically HOPE for a power outage. always looking for an excuse to put the flashlights to work.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power outages around here usually are one of two types. First comes back on 2-10 seconds later. Second comes back on in 15+ minutes, usually long enough for me to have just lit the lanterns. Only rarely have we gotten a good old fashioned multi-hour blackout.

Babo

Newly Enlightened
tron3 said:
Happened just minutes ago. Here I am enjoying an episide of The Simpsons, and without warning, the lights go out. Why is it always without warning? :thinking:

"Holy crap! It finally happened!" In a split second I have choose between the Fenix L0P in my pocket, or the LED Hummer light magnitized to my bed frame. I choose the Hummer for the fast access.

I nervously fumble for it and turn it on... I enjoy the victorious glow for about 3 seconds and the lights come back on. :ironic:
I wanted to grab my big lights and impress the neighborhood! :awman:

You can relive your experience.

Just have your mom or dad go down to your bedroom in the basement from
time to time and flip the main breaker switch.
I'm sure if you promise to take out the trash or help them with some chores, maybe during commercial breaks, you can probably convince them to play "blackout" with you.

tron3

Banned
Sarcasm, I tells ya. :rant:

But I don't just have flashlights. I also have a backup battery to run my cordless phone, and lead-acid batteries to run with a dc-ac converter.

As long as I charge the lead-acid batteries 2-4 times a year, I'm good.
:rock:

Last edited:

ScottyJ

Enlightened
Same type of thing happened tp me a few weeks ago, the lights went, and before I had my HDS out of pocket and ready to go, the lights came back on. Needless to say, I was quite dissapointed. This brings up the point to me of the importance of being able to draw your flashlight quickly, like a cowboy quick draw. It would be fun to have a room full of flashalohics and shut the lights off without warning to see who has the fastest draw.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have an umbrella, it rains.

If you do, it doesn't..

I'd rather have some backup power / lighting and not have to use it..

After all, that's what Insurance is..peace of mind.

And isn't is a nice feeling to have the brightest lit house, or even the only lit house in the street, when you do lose power..

More importantly, I especially always carry when going to indoor public places, inc shops, malls, trains at night, etc.

Perhaps we should all have emergency drills, like the public services do, when your partner shouts...."BLACKOUT"

and see how long it takes you, with eyes closed, to find your torch..

Illum

Flashaholic
ACMarina said:
Why is it that the power always goes out when you're watching something on TV??

hasnt happened to me yet, my experience goes as follows:

Its more frequent to have the lights go out when your taking a hot-water shower, and does not return until you are out of the shower
or
power goes out 10 minutes before waking up early in the morning and resets the alarmclock to 12 PM and thereby causing me to be late for school for about 15-30 minutes before I wake up and notice...
Instead of waking up and say "good morning god!" I wind up on the floor and shout "good god! its morning!"

I rarely watch TV now that I joined the forum...and checks my E-mail every two hours for responses...

tron3 said:
Sarcasm, I tells ya. :rant:

But I don't just have flashlights. I also have a backup battery to run my cordless phone, and lead-acid batteries to run with a dc-ac converter.

As long as I charge the lead-acid batteries 2-4 times a year, I'm good.
:rock:

Same here...except my set is a pair of 19AH auto jumpstarters [Sears] and a small 400 watt Modified Sine Vector to run fand...mainly to prevent my laptop and my battery from crashing or exploding from the added heat...

Last edited: