I'm a total noob, but I want to get a really bright modded light. HELP!

SCblur

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to lights, and have accumulated several since I started my addiction. I have pretty much everything I need, except something really bright. I have seen some posts about modded mags that put out 500+ lumens, but I don't know the first thing about modding, batteries, protected cells, unprotected, etc.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some info or point me in the right direction. I would even be very interested in purchasing a light from a moder here on CPF, but I don't know how to interpret what I'm looking at. Here's what I want in a bright light.

500+ lumens would be nice.
rechargeable without too much hassle (ie, I don't want to worry about overcharging, or something)
decent runtime, at least 30 minutes.
throwy. this light is for reaching out to touch someone!
Mag sized, or smaller

So, I have heard of several popular mag mods, like Mag81, stuff like that. Are any of those what I am looking for? Is there somebody who makes stuff like this on request? What kind of stuff does a noob like me need to think about? What kinds of cost ranges can I expect?

Any answers you have, or if you can point me to a good reference, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Josh

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
A few options you can go for:

incandescents

Mag 85 : runs on 8 or 9 AA NiMH batteries. Charging the batteries is a chore. The stuff you need can be 1) a modamag 8AA-2D holder in a BORED 2D mag with a potted WA 1185 bulb, metal reflector (from lightedge, litho123, modamag, fivemega and some others i may have forgotten about) and borofloat (recommended) lens or UCL from lightedge.

Another option would be to get a Kiu's socket and replace it with the stock switch to run bi-pin WA1185 bulbs

Mag74 : Same as Mag85, except you use either 6 or 7 AAs with a WA1274 bulb

If you decide to go for this, litho123 may have some leftover from his sale http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=104895&highlight=mag74

Mag35 : Not really familiar with this but here's a link http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110630

ROP : a modamag or fivemega 6AA-2D holder in any 2D mag with metal reflector, borofloat lens. Another battery option is the use of 2 UNprotected 18650 in a 2C mag for maximum runtime. Some sanding has to be done to the tailcap to allow the cells to fit.

I am unsure about all the runtimes so they may not all pass your criteria of 30 min.

If you decide to go the incan route, be sure to do the mag switch fix to reduce the resistance. Brighter to stun people with... http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=99710

LED

If i am not wrong, the only option here is from Wayne at Elektrolumens. His ELX-12 should be in this output neighbourhood. Size is definitely bigger than a mag. But opinions may differ here. Take a look and decide for yourself. http://www.elektrolumens.com/

Wait there is also this light done by both 3rd_shift and changchung. should be pretty good too. IIRC 3rd_shift also build lights if you approach him. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=100137

There may be some others i have missed out but i am sure others will add to the list.

Hope that helps and enjoy!

Last edited:

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Josh, andrewwynn is too much of a gentleman to mention that he has an open "feeler", under "CPF Custom and Mod B/S/T" for a build that he may be doing of his regulated M85 - one super bright darkness killer.

Click on "Sold: M85:1360/880 Torch Lumen 2D Mag" thread and read it over and possibly sign up if interested. I don't think you'll be dissapointed......and NO, I don't work in andrew's marketing department. :laughing:

Cliff

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually.. i think i mis-read the post saying he wanted to BUILD one, vs buy a turn-key one.

keep eyes peeled on BST, i think there is a group-buy about to open, not a ton of lights, maybe about 20 that would be exactly up the alley of what you are looking for.. the M85 is the bomb but only two are going to exist in the world for a while.. it could be 2 mo. before i can launch that.. have to knock out the nanos.

-awr

Faster

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm new here too. Have been browsing the forums for a few days trying to work out the best configurations to make my Mag85.

So far I've come up with:

3D Host - Already have
Borofloat Lens - Flashlightlens.com
MOP reflector - Light-edge.com
Bi-pin WA 1185 - Light-edge.com
Kiu bi-pin Socket - CPF Member Kiu
Modamag 9xAA->3D - CPF Member Modamag
Universal smart pack charger 7.2-12v - Ebay $22 + delivery to UK.
Sanyo 2500mAh x9 (?) - Ebay $32

This seems like a fairly safe/cheap combination for a noob, with only some simple soldering for the Kiu mod.

Not sure about the batteries though, have read conflicting opinions on wether the high capacity batteries are suitable for high current applications.
Perhaps I would be better with the 2100mAh version?

Any input from experts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Faster.