High quality Surefire U2 Holster?

seaward

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I purchased a Ripoffs Brand holster for my U2, although it does the job I don't think it's quality is up to par with the OEM surefire cases. Unfortunately, they do not yet make one for the U2 that has the proper fit.
cry.gif

Can anyone suggest a high quality, great fitting holster?

Thanks!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Seaward

Surefire makes some of the best quality and most effective flashlights out. They also make really high quality pouches and holsters. Unfortunately, they don't seem to design them at the same time and in consequence quite a few of their lights have very few carry options. The U2 and 10X are two that spring to mind but lots of their other lights have limited ways to be carried.

In the great scheme of things (flashlight wise) SF are a lot better than others out there and at least market a range of accessories. Some companies make little or no carry options and leave it all up to the owner to find something suitable. One of my favourite lights is the Gladius which had a pouch made for it but wasn't particularly succesful. Blackhawk found a baton carrier which also worked as a means for duty carry (if you had enough real estate on a belt for its 45 degree cant?) However, it's only now that they are about to market a purpose made holster and even then the jury will remain out until enough folks have had a chance to give positive feedback.

Remember that designing holsters and pouches is expensive and due to the relatively short lives that some flashlights have it probably isn't too economical to spend a fortune on carry methods that a lot of people who buy the lights wont then spend on a pouch holster.

Look on the bright side? At least the U2 has a clip!

Doug

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
seaward said:
Hello all, I purchased a Ripoffs Brand holster for my U2, although it does the job I don't think it's quality is up to par with the OEM surefire cases. Unfortunately, they do not yet make one for the U2 that has the proper fit.
cry.gif

Can anyone suggest a high quality, great fitting holster?

Thanks!

Depending on where you are located...

There are plenty of saddle makers and boot makers (even shoe repair shops) where they specialize in building leather products. If such a shop is available in your area, take the light in and ask them if they can make a holster for it. Tell them the design you want and they can usually build it for you within 48 hours. Most of the shops I've been in will make belts, holsters, resole boots, and do anything else you can imagine with leather.

Richard

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Maxpedition 5 inch tube sheath. It was a little tight at first but I cut away the body strap and it made it a better fit. After some use it got broken in too. I also removed the clip from my U2, useless IMHO. The Maxpedition holster is a bit bulky at times but it feels sturdy and is still kicking even through some of the stuff I've thrown at it.

n26303710_30186700_4707.jpg

Here is the closed holster next to a Tigerlight

n26303710_30186701_5037.jpg

I have a Rip off's holster for my HDS light and while it is nice for regular use, it doesn't seem sturdy enough for field use and the clamp holding the holster onto a belt is fine for normal use but when attached to my duty vestbelt, I don't trust it.

KVegasPhlash

Newly Enlightened
Seaward,

don't know how much help this will be, but I've been using a SureFire holster with my U2 - unfortunately, I don't know which one it is. Got it from a SF dealer I met at a gun show. Tried several until we found one that worked, and the packaging is long gone.

It's nylon, and has the quick-detach feature. The U2 with clip fits comfortably but snugly down in it to the base of the head, covering the adjusting ring (ca 1.25" diameter). The flap is generous, but does still have enough hook-and-loop overlap to work just fine. Generous enough to also work great with a filter mounted on the U2. There's about an inch of free space in the bottom of the holster, but that hasn't been a problem so far.

Given the length and style, it's probably either a V11 (9P) or a V31 (8AX/8NX). A G2 drops in very loosely. An 8AX/NX has the same bezel diameter as the U2, so the greatest likelihood is that it's a V31.

Maybe one of the other CPFers can verify...

john willis

Newly Enlightened
I made most of the pouches and gear for the sure fire instructors for many years. I started and ran a company called SOE (special operations equipment) for 12 years. I still make all the same gear. Most with improvements and I am starting a new company.

I make a pouch for almost the entire SF line up. Most can be had with fstx or velcro closure and come with a velcro fold over belt atachment though you can have PALS by request if need be. I also still do some one off custom work if needed. I am not the cheapest guy out there but you will never need to waranty a single piece of gear that I or my people put out. And you will get twice the material and three times the labor over most of my competitors. I use to post here a bit a few years ago. Size 15's and Shelby Chan both have some of my gear as I am sure several others here are familiar with my product.

Here are a couple of pictures of a pouch we did the other night for the U2.
u2lightpouch.jpg

u2lightpouch2.jpg

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]

tristis

Newly Enlightened
I use a SF V21 holster and it works fine. A little small but it has always been secure even under rough conditions.

cy

Flashaholic
john willis said:
I made most of the pouches and gear for the sure fire instructors for many years. I started and ran a company called SOE (special operations equipment) for 12 years. I still make all the same gear. Most with improvements and I am starting a new company.

I make a pouch for almost the entire SF line up. Most can be had with fstx or velcro closure and come with a velcro fold over belt atachment though you can have PALS by request if need be. I also still do some one off custom work if needed. I am not the cheapest guy out there but you will never need to waranty a single piece of gear that I or my people put out. And you will get twice the material and three times the labor over most of my competitors. I use to post here a bit a few years ago. Size 15's and Shelby Chan both have some of my gear as I am sure several others here are familiar with my product.

Here are a couple of pictures of a pouch we did the other night for the U2.
u2lightpouch.jpg

u2lightpouch2.jpg

Thank You
John Willis
[email protected]

can you post contact info for you new company?

thanks,

olephart

Newly Enlightened
I just got 2 of John's pouches for the U2. The quality of the pouch and John's service is the very best.

Latest posts